Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Next Action Star 6/15

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Next Action Star 6/15

No thread on this yet? I thought it was surprisingly entertaining. I like the concept of competing by staging scenes and stunts. It's going to be interesting to see who grows as an actor.
Old 06-16-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched the Monday's audition and Tuesday's stunt. Pretty good so far.
Old 06-16-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised at the lack of interest in this show.
Old 06-16-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched it last night. I didn't think it was very good. There is just too much importance placed on the people "looks". So far every decision has boiled down to whether the person had the right look or not. Not much of a competition.
Old 06-16-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jeraden
I watched it last night. I didn't think it was very good. There is just too much importance placed on the people "looks". So far every decision has boiled down to whether the person had the right look or not. Not much of a competition.
I see your point. How long do you think it will be before all the non-white actors are weeded out?
Old 06-16-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know what I hate is when you see people who have been on reality shows before. The guy Dan who was elimated was on Boy meets Boy. Urgh..I just hate that.
Old 06-16-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought that guy Reggie should have advanced. He was the guy working with the woman from South America would overacted.

I thought his acting was actually pretty good, especially when you factor in who he had to work with. I just don't get how he doesn't advance. He may not have the "look" I guess, but he's worth a shot to see in the next round I thought.
Old 06-16-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by PacMan2006
I thought that guy Reggie should have advanced. He was the guy working with the woman from South America would overacted.

I thought his acting was actually pretty good, especially when you factor in who he had to work with. I just don't get how he doesn't advance. He may not have the "look" I guess, but he's worth a shot to see in the next round I thought.
He definitely had potential. Would've liked to have seen him advance to the next round.

Overall, I don't see any of the contestants as action stars. At best, they could star in another Starship Troopers or Turbulence sequel.

I do think, Viviana should just save herself the humiliation and join the adult entertainment industry.
Old 06-16-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Why oh why did Viviana advance? Obviously for the ratings, but she was bad.

I also hoped Eugene would advance, not only was he working hard despite being stuck with the single worst partner, I really thought he'd be able to pull it off.

Most of the girls are pretty generic, except for the boxing girl. For the guys, I liked the serious New York actor guy and the tough black guy (Minnesota I think).
Old 06-16-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They didn't even have the decency to put an action star on the panel of judges. It's more of a model search than a action star search.

D
Old 06-16-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I really like this show. Its a nice change from all the other crap reality shows (not saying this show isn't crap, just a difference kind of crap, which makes it viewable).

As far as Viviana, the guy was right, you just keep watching her, but its not because of her acting. You have to admit, she is hot as can be.

I have to agree with most of you, I don't see any of the guys as an action star, but I really think Corinne (the boxer) could be a huge success story. Plus she's from 'Sota, so i'm a biased fan
Old 06-17-04, 01:50 AM

I'm kinda surprised that Matt S, the fireman, didn't advance. The guy's face looked like an anime character and one of the judges kept raving about him. I agree that Reggie should've advanced and Viviana is only moving forward for ratings. Her personality is a huge turn off.
Old 06-17-04, 03:36 AM

I liked Reggie's soundbyte after Harold was chosen. It was something along the lines of 'Great, they chose that black guy.'
Old 06-17-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
No, i think he said "Great, they chose him"

I'm pretty sure he never says "black", but you completely know what he's refering too.
Old 06-18-04, 12:18 PM

A couple of things that I posted on another site.

I predict that the male and female that portray a quiet confidence along with much inner strength, will be the ones that they pick. We don't need another wacky Jackie Chan type. That's what made Steven Seagal so good in his first few movies, until he bloated up and became full of himself.

But I just saw both episodes last night and I'm hooked. It should be real interesting when they have to go thru the real scary looking stunts that we have seen in the previews.

So far Santino is my pick for the guys, but I haven't formed an opinion of the women yet.

And yes, Viviana needs to be slapped around by one of the other women. I cannot stand a person who is so full of themselves, that they cannot see the truth about themselves. It was in poor taste that she spoke out against the martial arts master, especially since she had no previous experience. Now if Matt had spoken out, you could accept that, since he had been doing martial arts since he was 7.

So she was totally out of line and if she makes it to the final 14, she will only be good as the villian/person to make fun of.

Chris
Old 06-19-04, 07:14 PM

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally posted by Joeboo835
No, i think he said "Great, they chose him"

I'm pretty sure he never says "black", but you completely know what he's refering too.
I just watched this (taped it) and you're right, he says "Oh, they went with him", and it seems clear that that's what he's referring to. Token brother. Too bad, I agree, he was better than he had a chance to show, given his Soap Opera Queen partner!
Old 06-19-04, 07:19 PM

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally posted by candyrocket786
Overall, I don't see any of the contestants as action stars. At best, they could star in another Starship Troopers or Turbulence sequel.
Did anyone else notice what the "disclaimers" at the end of the each episode said? They read, in part:

The winners of the program contest were awarded a cash prize. In addition, they were considered for roles in a made-for television movie for which they were ultimately selected.
A made for TV movie??? Umm, this will make them a "star"?? :: It doesn't even say they were chosen for starring roles, just "roles"... as what?

I can't figure out that part about they were "considered for roles...for which they were ultimately selected". Does that mean all they were really competing for was 1)the "cash prize" and 2) and audition, and it just happens that they were "ultimately selected"?