Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Last Comic Standing *Season Premiere* - 06/08/04

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
To bad "Ashy Larry" didn't make it through. They didn't even show his set.
Old 06-09-04, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may be too early to tell, but I wasn't too impressed with any of the comics. Maybe the editing was bad and for sure we didn't get to see enough of their standup routine, but so far I don't see any memorable characters like we had last year.

Though maybe after tonight, we will get a better idea of who the more interesting / funny people are.

Chris
Old 06-09-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was excited to see Justun McKinney was on, and advanced. I saw him a couple years ago in New York, he was opening for Kevin Meaney, and he definitely upstaged Meaney, was way better. Although it doesn't seem like he's ever made some new material, the same act he did in NYC was what he did on the show
Old 06-09-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Wazootyman •

I was excited to see Justun McKinney was on, and advanced. I saw him a couple years ago in New York, he was opening for Kevin Meaney, and he definitely upstaged Meaney, was way better.
What? That's not riiiiight. [Pause for laughter] That's not riiiight. [Pause for laughter] Why would you say such a thing? That's not riiiiiiight. [Repeat]

das
Old 06-09-04, 06:33 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
What? That's not riiiiight. [Pause for laughter] That's not riiiight. [Pause for laughter] Why would you say such a thing? That's not riiiiiiight. [Repeat]

das
Old 06-09-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Goldberg74 •

Tonight is the second two hour episode that whittles the 40 from last night down to 20. Those 20 get to go to Vegas and then a chance to get into the house in L.A.

9 PM Eastern/8 PM Central
Some of the online guides have this wrong (haven't updated for the Reagon memorial service coverage at 8pm), so I figured it was worth repeating.

das
Old 06-09-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Pablo is funny as hell.

Jessica is obnoxious.
Old 06-09-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pablo Francisco was robbed, and so were a couple of other people.

Jessica and DC Benny have no business going to Vegas.

Sharon Houston was the first one to flat-out bomb w/ the audience. Which is good, because she wasn't funny.
Old 06-09-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WTF just happened. So many bad choices tonight.

I don't remember anyones name but...

That husband/wife team. The husband is pretty funny, the wife is horrible. How could the wife get chosen and not the husband?

That black chick that was telling the "joke" about the lady hitting her son and then giving her attitude. That was stupid. It isn't even I would consider comedy. I thought she was bad in her previous audition also with the "disappearing smile" gig. I don't understand what they see in her.

That obnoxious lady with the wierd faces/mouth. She's just scary and not funny. Yep, she advances too.

Sue Costello - I posted previously about how stupid her first audition was. This one at least had some comedy in it, but it was really bad and not very funny. I don't see how she advanced either - I'm guessing it was based on her reputation since she had a previous short-lived sitcom.

There were several others, but those were the ones that stuck out the most. It actually made me mad.
Old 06-09-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I'll ask the question. How the **** did Sue Costello get a sitcom? It's a big surprise that it bombed.
Old 06-09-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Remember, it's the producers that call the shots and decide who advances. Read the article linked earlier in this thread. This show is bordering on being a sham if the intent is to find a really funny comedian out of the competition, but instead, it's more about trying to cast "contestants" that will cause dramatic reality TV tension in the house.
Old 06-09-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't particularly agree with a lot of their choices, but keep in mind that we're only seeing a very small portion of their sets. Each of these contestants is going to be doing the same (or similar) routine many times before the show is over, and they definitely want to avoid overlap. If I were editing the show, personally, I'd take the funniest clips from people who were leaving tonight (no sense saving them) and selected not-as-funny highlights from those moving forward. You want to save the best stuff for the later episodes to keep the shows funny and avoid overlap as the weeks go on. I don't know if those advancing had much funnier material that wasn't shown, but I have to assume that it's a strong possibility.

das
Old 06-09-04, 10:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Come on das - no thread air freshening! They were having fun crapping on this thread.

I was pretty disappointed tonight too. They got the wrong end of the husband/wife combo. And I liked the cop from Maine. And I agree with the previous posters - that Costello girl was not funny.
Old 06-09-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it's a matter of casting for conflict potential, and not comedic talent.
Old 06-09-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They have no problem casting unfunny people, right on, cha cha cha.

das
Old 06-09-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It is casting for the potential conflict in the house - because they were at least five very, very, very questionable picks to advance.
Old 06-09-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How in the f--- didn't Pablo Francisco make it?!?!?!?!????!

UNBELIEVEABLE
This show now sucks. They pick some pretty crappy people.
At least Alonzo Bowden made it.
Old 06-09-04, 11:47 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is going to sound sexist, but if you'll notice all the questionable choices mentioned so far are women. Funny women are very rare and I think even the judges would probably want to balance the male/female ratio of thier picks somewhat even if there's no way to make it completely even.
Old 06-09-04, 11:55 PM

They have no problem casting unfunny people, right on, cha cha cha.

das

:shudder:

Ooooh, that brings up some bad memories.

So far I haven't seen any memorable characters, like we had on last years show. No one has made me laugh as much as Dave, Ralphie & the others, including even Dat Phan (his first time).

I would think that next weeks contest will be the same non funny material. We will have to wait until the final 10 are in the house and then maybe we will see some real stars break out.

Chris
Old 06-10-04, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
the stripper should have gone through for the simple reason that she is a stripper.
Old 06-10-04, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Jeraden
WTF just happened. So many bad choices tonight.

I don't remember anyones name but...

That husband/wife team. The husband is pretty funny, the wife is horrible. How could the wife get chosen and not the husband?

That black chick that was telling the "joke" about the lady hitting her son and then giving her attitude. That was stupid. It isn't even I would consider comedy. I thought she was bad in her previous audition also with the "disappearing smile" gig. I don't understand what they see in her.

That obnoxious lady with the wierd faces/mouth. She's just scary and not funny. Yep, she advances too.

Sue Costello - I posted previously about how stupid her first audition was. This one at least had some comedy in it, but it was really bad and not very funny. I don't see how she advanced either - I'm guessing it was based on her reputation since she had a previous short-lived sitcom.

There were several others, but those were the ones that stuck out the most. It actually made me mad.
right on all accounts.
Old 06-10-04, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
the stripper should have gone through for the simple reason that she is a stripper.
I thought she was a shoe-in for that reason alone. Hell, I thought she was funnier than a few of the people they picked (that's how bad a few of the people that advanced were).
Old 06-10-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
How in the f--- didn't Pablo Francisco make it?!?!?!?!????!
I'm still wondering what kind of logic they could have used to not advance him - he was one of the top three of the forty.
Old 06-10-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

das
His occasional appearance on Dr. Katz was always pretty good though.
Old 06-10-04, 09:38 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Sue Costello had her own sitcom called Costello that ran for four weeks in 1998 (there were 8 episodes, but only 4 aired). Her father was played by The Wonder Years' Dan Lauria. Here's tvtome.com's take on the show:

"Actress and stand-up comedienne Sue Costello brings a taste of life in South Boston to all of America in this series based on her real-life experiences growing up in South Boston. Commonly known as 'Southie,' this blue-collar Irish Catholic neighborhood remains untouched by such modern concepts as political correctness, New Age spirituality and the notion of resolving arguments calmly rather than simply beating the crap out of one another."

"Sue is a bold, tell-it-like-it-is, 27-year-old bartender who is constantly at odds with her traditional family and friends. Spirited and outspoken, her mission in life is to reach her full potential—whatever that may be. Sue's father Spud (Dan Lauria) is a hard-working carpenter whose normal method of expression is short, loud outbursts. Her mom Lottie (Jenny O'Hara), a waitress, is fiercely loyal to her family but would rather die than express affection. Filling out the family is Sue's younger brother Jimmy (Chuck Walczak), the charming, doted-upon Irish son whose full-time job is avoiding a full-time job."

"Sue works at a local watering hole, The Bull Dog Bar, a neighborhood hangout filled with patrons who, despite their life-long friendships, will get into fist fights at the drop of a hat. Bartending with Sue is her best friend Trish (Kerry O'Malley), a solid, devout Irish Catholic girl who enjoys watching Sue stomp through life from a safe distance. Trish is Sue's rock, a brutally honest friend she can always turn to. On the other hand, Sue's life-long nemesis is Mary McDonough. Always looking to one-up each other, Mary and Sue are well-matched verbal sparring partners." (FOX press release)

I didn't find her that funny, but she's been on Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn a few times and with him as a judge, I wonder how much pull he had.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.