Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The WB Superstar USA: The Final Four (w/ an Audience!)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-04, 08:14 PM

Received 806 Likes on 524 Posts

The final four contestants perform in front of an audience as the singing competition continues. Judges: Tone Loc, Vitamin C and Chris Briggs. Host: Brian McFayden.
Strange format for tonight's show. All four sing, but one get's voted out tonight.

The next show (the finale is on Monday, June 14) has the three remaining perform, with the final two singing a duet.

I can't see why they are stretching this out.

<hr>The recap:

Mario perform's Jessica Simpson's "The Sweetest Sin".
Briggs: "I think you took advantage of some of the dancers... if you win... you can fondle all of the background dancers you want, 'cause that's what superstars do. Until then, keep your hand out of the nookie jar."

JoJo perform's Beyonce's "Crazy".
Briggs: Something about half the audience being bused in from a correctional facility, thought they were going to see a taping of the Gilmore Girls... not very funny.

Vitamin C: "That was a ridicules performance. "

Tone Loc: "You've got a mean mojo workin'."

Rosa perform's Christina Aguilara's "Genie in a Bottle".
Briggs: "You know how you don't bring a knife to a gunfight... well, you didn't. You brought the most lethal weapon... your voice."

Vitamin C: "You have been remarkably consistent from show to show. Remarkably consistent. I'd say your even."

Tone Loc: "..." Is anything he says worth remembering?

Jamie perform's Celin Dion's "All by Myself".
Briggs: He just hits on her... but before that he tells her how he was distracted by her boosoms, but tonight he realised what a great butt she had.

Vitamin C: Something about lesbians and San Francisco.

Tone Loc: "It's a good thing that I had my shades on, or else I would have been blinded by your light."

Voted out is...

Spoiler:
it's JoJo and his badunkadunk that hit the road!

Last edited by Goldberg74; 06-07-04 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-07-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There is a strong possibility that all the "contestants" are actors playing the part of bad singers. Either way, those "contestants" have got brass ones for getting up there and "singing" with everything they've got (sadly enough).

Jojo had to go-go. (I hate people who talk about themselves in the 3rd person. Puh-lease...)
Old 06-07-04, 09:09 PM

Received 806 Likes on 524 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Jojo had to go-go. (I hate people who talk about themselves in the 3rd person. Puh-lease...)
Rosa does it to...
Old 06-07-04, 09:25 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm surprised Jamie's still in it. I think she was the only one who had a really tough song and overall, she's not as bad as the rest of them. Or maybe I'm just like Briggs and am distracted.
Old 06-07-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I'll have to catch the repeat - I forgot it was on.
Old 06-07-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only saw this in pieces.

What did they tell the audiance? Where did those signs come from? what about the whole Extra interview thing?
Old 06-07-04, 11:56 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rosa is easily the worst singer, but she's the least absurd/ridiculous spectacle out there. With the sound muted she would actually look somewhat like a credible performer, unlike the other 3.

JoJo probably was the most energentically entertaining of the four tonight, but he had the best high energy song.

Jamie's voice is weird. There are stretches during her songs where she actually doesn't sound bad. Not great mind you, but certainly passable. Then she just veers off into some horrible unknown key at the drop of a hat. But she is the funniest to look at when she gets those pained expressions while she's singing.

Mario is odd, because of the four that were left this episode, I don't understand his superstar ambitions. I can understand the other three having these delusions of grandeur... JoJo is just naturally over the top and on some other plain, Jamie is cute with big tatas and probably has guys tell her how wonderful she is to get her in the sack, and Rosa just seems a bit dense. But I'd imagine a guy like Mario might be more down to earth and realistic about life, especially by 26. He just seems like the last guy that would be honestly chasing after this particular dream.

Don't the images in the teasers for the final episode seem to hint that
Spoiler:
Mario and Rosa
will be singing the duet? They could be purposely misleading, but I could've sworn it looked like them about to get on stage together in one shot.
Old 06-08-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jamie could be tolerable if she recognized her limits. I loved that she said, "here we go" three times during the song There's a reason we never hear Britney Spears belt anything out like Celine Dion. Jamie's going to have to do another song like that to win, otherwise she's just mediocre and Rosa will have it in the bag.

I guess I'll be glad if Rosa wins because I won't feel bad for her. Her ego is ridiculous and she needs to be slapped back into reality. The rest of them were at least likable people. All Rosa ever talks about is how she's better than everyone. When they were looking at cars I was hoping they'd have her test drive a Bolbo.

As for Mario and his delusions of grandeur. He seems to be stuck at about age 12 considering the link someone posted in the original thread. It was Mario talking about the experience on a PowerPuff Girls forum.

Last edited by Roto; 06-08-04 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-08-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Did Jamie even sing any of the song or just the chorus? All I remember was "All by my self" and "here we go"
Old 06-08-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry, I had a Briggs auditory blackout, did Jamie sing anything last night?
Old 06-08-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally I get just as distracted by her huge black eyebrows and those odd expressions she makes.
Old 06-08-04, 10:35 AM

What did they tell the audiance? Where did those signs come from?
Apparently, they fed the audience the line that these were dying kids from the Make-A-Wish foundation, or something like that. They didn't want them to know that the entire thing was a hoax because then they may have exposed it by booing them or something.

I assumed the producers handed signs out.

Vitamin C was freaking hilarious. Could someone transcribe her response to Jamie?
Old 06-08-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it was the "One Wish" charity...if they had called it Make-A-Wish they probably would have a lawsuit on their hands.
Old 06-08-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It appears MimiRodgers is the same poster on the PowerPuff girls website, and she is engaged to Mario.

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...earchid=409738

This thread is especially entertaining.

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...4&page=1&pp=20

The happy couple...

Old 06-08-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oooh, looks like Mario himself did some posting (if it's real, of course).

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...earchid=409746
Old 06-09-04, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am starting to think that this whole thing is a joke on viewers. And can they please stop giving away what is going to happen!

Spoiler:
It was definitely Mario and Rosa that were going up to the stage to sing the duet. Also, they have used Rosa's voice in the past saying something to the effect of she had to go through a lot of things that she did not want to, and that she was upset that the show was a joke, or something like that. To me, that says that Jamie is gone first next time, and Rosa beats Mario as the worst singer. BTW, I have been picking those two as the worst for a few weeks now

I think that Frank should have easily made top three instead of Jamie. I really think that the judges might have been nervous about his mental state, and that is why they got rid of him so soon.

As for likability, the only one that I really like is Jamie. And it is not because of her physical attributes either, since I don't find her that attractive. To me, it seems like she is happy to be there, while the others are acting like they deserve to be there. Mario is a greasebag. I cannot stand to look at his perpetually stuck up, greasy hair. Rosa is unintelligible and has the worst singing voice (it shakes and crackles and dips and rises). Jojo was just too over the top for my liking, but I would rank him behind Jamie as most likable.

My favorite parts of this show was the stunned expressions on the faces of the crowd. I also enjoyed some of those fancy dance moves. Jojo was out of breath for his whole performance. Dude cannot sing and dance at the same time.

My guess is that Rosa is going to win, because she is now a quadruple threat.
Old 06-09-04, 10:09 AM

Yeah, Mario has been on an internet-wide posting spree. He posted over at the Television Without Pity Superstar USA thread, where he was promptly torn a new one. I can't provide a link, since the site is blocked from work, but it's in the "Competitive Reality" forum.
Old 06-09-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I havent been following the threads on this, but I have seen the show from the beginning, what if somebody kills themselves over this show???? If its real, it could happen.
Old 06-10-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DRG
Rosa is easily the worst singer, but she's the least absurd/ridiculous spectacle out there. With the sound muted she would actually look somewhat like a credible performer, unlike the other 3.
Hmmm, maybe with the sound muted...possibly. But when you add her voice to her off stage comments, there is nobody as sad/clueless/scary as she is. Everytime she opens her mouth I'm completely baffled.

"Es lih... Howeewoodd...Howeeewood."
Old 06-10-04, 10:42 AM

Here's an interview with Nina Diva from TV Guide:

We felt bad when Superstar USA gave the boot to kicky contestant Nina Diva last week. Although we'd sooner buy a CD of fingernails on a chalkboard than ever again hear her maul "Roxanne," the Orlando-based Korean-American entertainer truly believed she'd just blown her shot at being the next Britney. And when we thought about her reaction upon learning that the show (continuing on WB tonight at 9 pm/ET) was an American Idol parody designed to unearth the next William Hung, not the next Ruben Studdard, we felt even worse. So we checked out ninadiva.com to hear whether her confidence in her abilities was completely unfounded. (It isn't; Christina, she ain't, but after a few cocktails, she could get us out on the dance floor.) Then we rang up the former NFL cheerleader to let her get in a few more kicks — this time aimed at the reality competition that had invited us to delight in her humiliation.

TV Guide Online: How did you finally find out what the show was about?
Nina Diva: A producer gave me a call the day after the press release came out [announcing the concept]. He told me, "Nina, you're a great singer, but we had to have you on our show because we enjoyed your personality so much." I said, "You've got to be joking. This is a hoax?" I was let down and very sad. For two weeks, I mourned the situation. I make my living as a singer-dancer-actor, and it was almost a crisis moment. But then I decided to take the bull by the horns and try to make lemonade from lemons by parlaying this exposure into something better.

TVGO: What kind of feedback have you gotten from people on the street?
Diva: It's been really good. I don't know if people just feel bad about what happened or if they're having an affinity with my personality, but I went to the mall, and some teenagers asked for my autograph. Some other people were like, "Is there really going to be a Nina Diva doll?" I get the flipside, too, though. I've [checked out] the chatrooms — [the negative element] could be ex-boyfriends. Don't we all have that?

TVGO: Amen. So were you really going commando during your performance of "We Don't Need Another Hero"?
Diva: No, they put the star [over my crotch during the kick] to make it funny. I've been a legitimate, PG singer for my whole life, and hopefully, I'll remain a class-A PG girl. Maybe an R-girl, but I'll never do the Sharon Stone thing. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

TVGO: Having seen the show, how do you feel about your performances? All those Rockette moves!
Diva: I was most certainly encouraged to kick a lot. Especially at the audition, I was encouraged to go over the top, and like anyone who goes to an audition, I want the part! I want to get that $50,000 recording contract, so if somebody asks me to do something that's in my reality zone, sure, I can kick! When it comes to the singing, the only way to get a horrible performance out of me is to do what? Give me no sleep, give me a song that I've never sung before and have me sing it once. That's it. No rehearsal, no coaching; just stick me out cold at 7 am on a stage. I'm not even awake yet!

TVGO: Spoken like a true diva. Any last words?
Diva: In the end, I would want readers to know that yes, I was duped; yes, I was going for my dreams; and yes, I was let down. But now that I'm over the shock, I'm enjoying the attention, and I am hoping for something better.
Old 06-10-04, 11:46 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He told me, "Nina, you're a great singer, but we had to have you on our show because we enjoyed your personality so much."
Riiiiiiiiiight...
Old 06-10-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I was watching Jamie sing, and she kept saying "here we go", it reminded me of when Carl Lewis butchered the US national anthem at an NBA game a few years ago. He was horrible, but when he tried to redeem himself during the song, he said "here we go", or something like that. Anyway, it was deja vu all over again.
Old 06-10-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally posted by movieking
When I was watching Jamie sing, and she kept saying "here we go", it reminded me of when Carl Lewis butchered the US national anthem at an NBA game a few years ago.
Jamie reminded me of the Deion Sanders ep of SNL. Deion, Sandler, and Meadows were this rap group whose songs were all 10 seconds long. The only words to ALL the songs were "Here we go, here we go" and "peace, out".

Every time Jamie said it, my wife and I both shouted back in Sandler-ese (in that 'Well, Woop- De-Doo' voice of his) : Here we go, here we go!".....
Old 06-10-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by movieking
When I was watching Jamie sing, and she kept saying "here we go", it reminded me of when Carl Lewis butchered the US national anthem at an NBA game a few years ago. He was horrible, but when he tried to redeem himself during the song, he said "here we go", or something like that. Anyway, it was deja vu all over again.
Actually, Carl Lewis said "I'll make up for it now" right before the final verse. Unfortunately, he didn't. You can find that infamous rendition on the net. Or just tune into Jim Rome who seems to be playing it on a weekly basis lately for some reason.
Old 06-10-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jamie has moved to LA to pursue her acting/singing career.

Erskine girl is finalist in WB's 'Superstar USA'

The show really is a hoax, but Jamie Foss enjoyed it anyway

By Elisa L. Rineheart

Herald Staff Writer

When television producers run out of ideas, they come up with programs such as WB's "Superstar USA," a reality show full of entertaining shock value.

Jamie Foss, 20, is one of the "hopeful" finalists of Tuesday's episode. Foss grew up in Erskine, Minn., and is a journalism student at the University of Minnesota.

She explained that during the auditions, producers get rid of talented singers to make room for a group of 28 - call them less-qualified candidates - who are convinced they have what it takes to become singing sensations.

Red carpet

Foss says she was mesmerized by the red carpet treatment she received during her participation on the show.

She stayed in the Hilton Hotel in Hollywood, Calif., traveled in a limousine and had a personal assistant to help her with daily filming assignments.

But the divalike entourage and lavish accommodations were part of a perfectly orchestrated hoax.

Contestants were led to believe they had been selected to participate in an "American Idol" spinoff.

But, in reality, producers were looking for "uniquely terrible" voices.

"A lot of the other contestants are angry and upset about it," Foss said. "But I enjoyed

every second of it, and I would've done it again, even if I would've known it was a hoax."

To advance in the contest, it was not enough to be a terrible singer. Contestants had to believe they were good despite negative criticism. Some of them, Foss said, felt disappointed because they had been practicing and spending a lot of money on singing lessons hoping that one day someone would recognize their talent.

Foss comes from a musical family. She has been singing with her two sisters Brook, 22, and Sidney, 14, at weddings and funerals and acting in school plays since she was 4. Her aunt, Bonnie Baglien, is one of the lead singers of a local band called Bonified. Before she went to California, Foss was taking acting lessons at the university. The sophomore student holds a GPA of 3.20 and minors in theater.

Getting started

So, why doesn't she mind being promoted on national television as a "America's worst singer"?

"Reality shows are a good way to get started" in show business, Foss said. After her experience in "Superstar USA," she's decided to quit school and move to Los Angeles for one year to pursue her acting and singing career.

"I got a lot of exposure and on-camera experience," Foss said. "Producers interview you over and over again to make you say what they want. You have to look at the camera in a certain way, and after a while you start to feel comfortable."

In the last episode of "Superstar USA," the judges criticized Foss for writing the lyrics on the palm of her hand.

"The genius of Jamie is not that she wrote the lyrics on her hand - but that she thought the panelists wouldn't notice," judge Vitamin C said. But Foss said she had no choice.

"They handed me the song five minutes before I went on stage, so I asked them (producers) if I could write it on my hand, and they said, 'Yes, sure,'" Foss said. "That's why it is so funny for me to watch the show because I know a lot of the singers did not have time to practice."

Foss' boyfriend, Kyle Simonson, 21, of Mentor, Minn., said he is proud of her accomplishments and supports her decision to stay on the show and pursue a singing career in California.

"I have faith in her," Simonson said. "Our relationship has not changed because of it."

Foss, who graduated from Win-E-Mac High School, Erkine, in 2002, was visiting her family in Grand Forks on Tuesday. Together, they watched her advance to the semifinals of "Superstar USA."

To the surprise of the judges, she continued to read the lyrics off her hand. But one thing she has going for her is the Britney Spears looks, panelists said.

"You don't have a bad angle," said Vitamin C as the voluptuous Minnesota girl posed on stage. Foss could not comment on the outcome of the show, but she did say that it ends a lot better than people expect.

"You're going to have to see it," Foss said.

The winner will get a recording contract and $100,000.

"Superstar USA" is a series of seven episodes that airs at 8 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays on WB 7 on Grand Forks cable. Created by executive producer Mike Fleiss, The WB's "Superstar USA" is co-executive produced by Mike Nichols and Jason Carbone and produced by Next Entertainment in association with Telepictures Productions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rineheart reports on northwest Minnesota. Reach her at (701) 780-1269, (800) 477-6572 extension 269, or at [email protected].

And for good laughs, you all should check out www.ninadiva.com. She even has a new CD coming out and you can get her video by joining her fan club.Erskine girl is finalist in WB's 'Superstar USA'

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.