Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What Happened to ARSENIO HALL ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-04, 01:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I saw him cleaning my swimming pool last week.
Old 06-09-04, 10:38 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
this is uncanny!

i switched on our Pay TV last nite and there was Arsenio Hall on Conan O Brien ! (we get the shows after you guys)

was hell funny
Old 06-10-04, 09:17 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arsenio Hall is the reason I started being a night owl. I owe my ability to stay up late and get little sleep through college to being conditioned by staying up late watching his show.
Old 06-19-12, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts
Re: What Happened to ARSENIO HALL ?

So winning the Celebrity Apprentice paid off but you have to wait until Fall 2013.

With George Lopez cancelled they need somebody to carry the urban audience.

If Letterman retires and Arsenio has some success could they move him to the Late show or maybe the Late Late Show and give Ferguson the Letterman job?

Arsenio Hall is returning to TV’s late-night scene, where he flourished with a talk show two decades ago.

CBS Television Distribution says it is developing a syndicated nightly talk show with the 57-year-old actor and comedian. The company said Monday that the show is set to premiere in fall 2013.

Hall is best known for hosting the Emmy Award-winning “Arsenio Hall Show,’’ which ran from 1989 to 1994. That show’s place in pop-culture history was clinched in 1992 when then-presidential candidate Bill Clinton appeared and played “Heartbreak Hotel’’ on the saxophone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyB1xB8NnnQ

http://articles.boston.com/2012-06-1...n-distribution

Old 06-19-12, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Damn, he was only on for 5 years? I most remember him having the last (or close to last) interview with Jim Henson.
Old 06-19-12, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure which channel this will air on, but I hope he can recapture the magic. I watched George Lopez once but it just wasn't my thing. But then, I've never been into George Lopez's stand-up (or TV show) either. My appreciation for Hall's TV show started before he had one as I used to watch him do stand-up. I think it's important to be a good comedian with these types of shows. I don't watch Late Night TV, but I'd watch Arsenio. I know it's blasphemy to admit in public, but my favorite current late night host would be Jay Leno. Then Letterman. And nothing after that. I never got into the "new generation" of Coco and the others. Hopefully Arsenio does well in the ratings and there's room for everyone to satisfy different tastes.
Old 06-19-12, 08:32 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

this ship has sailed.
Old 06-19-12, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

No interest here either. Arsenio appeared to play The Apprentice with the knowledge that he was making a comeback. Every time he was on screen it felt disingenuous.
Old 06-19-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I will watch if he calls his female guests c*nts every so often.
Old 06-19-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I will watch just for the nostalgic "woo woo woo woo" thing from the audience. I remember just a little bit about the show (I was, like, 10).

I currently keep up (mostly) on Conan and Kimmel. Would watch Fergeson, but can't do 3 hours of late night daily. So not sure if there will be room for daily Arsenio.
Old 06-19-12, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You guys make up the core TV viewing audience, so that's what he's up against. At the time he was on before, late night was populated by older people like Johnny Carson, then Letterman, then Joan Rivers. Arsenio was a breath of fresh air for the younger generation (and the young at heart like myself <g>). But now you guys have Coco, Kimmel, Ferguson, etc. What will be interesting is if he can get the guests you all are interested in and get them to loosen up and have fun (which he was great at in the old days).

You know, if you didn't really watch his show before, it's hard to appreciate what a pop phenomenon it was. Madonna, Prince, Whitney... all of them were there. And unlike with other shows, they'd actually sit on the couch and talk. Not just PR blather, but actual conversation. You could see how painfully shy Prince is (he prefers to speak through his music). You could see a Madonna in her sexual prime (every bit the artist Britney and Lady Gaga would later be). Beastie Boys. Ice-T. Vanilly Ice.

And again, it wasn't just that these people appeared. They really "hung out". It was a party.

So will he be able to get people like Emma Stone, Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian and Kanye West, Jay-Z, Beyonce, Shakira, Coldplay, Gwenyth Paltrow, etc. to come on and have fun? Well, when you guys say, "That ship has sailed," I wouldn't bet a paycheck against you. But I still hope he can do it because there's not a lot that gets me to stay up after the news these days, but that might just do it (or at least record it).

And if you guys like some music or movie/TV artists who are maybe a little bit more edgy than normal who don't really get any exposure on the regular talk shows, who knows... this might just be the one that gives them some exposure. But not in a George Lopez kind of way. We'll see! (Which is all I can hope for.)
Old 06-19-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
What will be interesting is if he can get the guests you all are interested in and get them to loosen up and have fun (which he was great at in the old days).
That's one of the reasons why Ferguson is so entertaining. Stars just come on to shoot the shit instead of shill their product.
Old 06-19-12, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Maybe he can just have Eddie Murphy on as his sidekick and they can whisper to each other and giggle like they did on his old show...
Old 06-19-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 188 Posts

I'm in if he grows the stash back.
Old 06-19-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
I'm in if he grows the stash back.
I know, right. He just looks weird without it.

He was very good at this gig the first time, and I think he can get back to form. He's a natural at doing a talk show.

I wish we didn't have to wait until the fall of 2013 though.
Old 06-19-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Arsenio was a guest on Bill Maher's REAL TIME a month or so ago and I kept thinking "How the hell does this guy NOT have a TV show?" He's a better interviewer than Jay, Dave and Conan combined. He's as good as Tom Snyder used to be.
Old 06-19-12, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Arsenio was a guest on Bill Maher's REAL TIME a month or so ago and I kept thinking "How the hell does this guy NOT have a TV show?" He's a better interviewer than Jay, Dave and Conan combined. He's as good as Tom Snyder used to be.
Completely agree. He was both intelligent and hilarious.
Old 06-19-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Couldn't stand him the first time around. On the apprentice he seemed like a douche, so I'll be skipping this nonsense.
Old 06-19-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Just saw the Real Time clip, good job from him. Never saw the show when it aired, but I have seen the Henson interview a couple times which was pretty entertaining.
Old 06-19-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-19-12, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I watched his show from time to time. I always thought he was an underrated interviewer. He tried way too hard to connect with his urban audience so he didn't look like a sellout.
Old 06-20-12, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I watched his old show and thought he was very likable. I agree with those who say he's a terrific interviewer. I don't watch the latenight talk shows anymore, but I might look in on his new show.
Old 06-20-12, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Back in high school we had to write a essay on somebody we would like to meet and I wrote about Arsenio.

Yes it is cheesy but he was the rage back and watching his show on channel 44 with shaky reception.

I think one guest he would not invite on the show was Public Enemy because at that time they were controversial.

Also remember one show where some gay protesters were on his show and Arsenio told them he had Harvey Fierstein on the show the night before.

I don't remember exactly what happened.

If CBS is producing his show he probably will be given every chance to succeed.
Old 06-20-12, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
If CBS is producing his show he probably will be given every chance to succeed.
Here's the information I've been looking for. Although it will be produced by "CBS TV" it will not air on CBS. It will, instead, run via syndication on Tribune Casting stations. Here's a quote...

The show will be broadcast at 11 p.m. through syndicator CBS Television Distribution and the Tribune Co., which will put it on the air on its 17 TV stations, including such powerhouses as WGN-TV in Chicago and KTLA-TV in Los Angeles.
It's nice, but it isn't the same thing as airing on CBS. At least it will be available Over The Air (OTA) in two of the 3 biggest markets (as if that really matters with everyone having cable and/or satellite). I saw no mention of New York, which would be a pretty big area to miss if it does. My first thought was this would mean one "CBS" property going up against another CBS property of the same type. But I think those stations air the news an hour earlier than network stations and Arsenio would come on afterwards. If I have that right, Arsenio would air while the rest of the networks are airing their news.

Arsenio has talked a bit about the sign-up rate for the new show. There are a lot of potential stations who haven't signed up yet. I can imagine there are certain areas of the country that won't be into it. That was probably true before too, though. As always, we'll see!
Old 06-20-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved Arsenio back in the day, and watching some clips on youtube it's clear to see why his show was so special. I think Arsenio was very important in what felt like an ascension of black people on television. Yes, there were shows before, great great shows, but Arsenio (along with In Living Color, A Different World, Martin, Fresh Prince of Belair, and most notably The Cosby Show) felt like the "next step" for programming featuring us black folk. Shows that were targeted at us, but not specifically for us alone. I guess you could call it the crossover.

Either way, Arsenio was a special show, but I wonder if he can capture magic in a bottle again. His show will have to be drastically different. The biggest thing going back then was Arsenio was the clear front runner of being "hip" in late night back then, but he can't really do that now. I would actually be happier if he got a show similar to Tavis Smiley or Charlie Rose.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.