Deadwood 23/5 "Mr. Wu"

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deadwood 23/5 "Mr. Wu"

Old 05-24-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deadwood 23/5 "Mr. Wu"

"Them people worship a fat man, seated on his ass."

The scene where Sol and Seth walk the Reverend back to his tent was really wonderful. This is such a good show.

You've got to be in awe of HBO's track record.
Old 05-24-04, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Deadwood 23/5 "Mr. Wu"

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson

The scene where Sol and Seth walk the Reverend back to his tent was really wonderful.
That was tough to watch Even Swearingen felt a little sorry for him. Hopefully it's over soon. I keep expecting him to keel over any minute.

Good show as always. They sure don't pull any punches. The scenes with Wu and Swearingen trying to communicate were priceless I can't wait for the DVDs so I can rewind. I usually miss the last half of what Al says because I can't stop laughing.
Old 05-24-04, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
"Who?"

"Wu?"

"Who?"

"Wu?"

Sw'ingen is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite TV characters.
Old 05-24-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Why couldnt Al have just claimed to kill the junkies because they robbed HIM, and then gave them to Wu 'as usual'. Its not like WU's people would hear the 'truth'
Old 05-24-04, 10:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This was one of the funniest episodes of the season. I woke my wife up I was laughing so hard.

I actually think my favorite character is Sol Starr. He glides through the show with such a detached bemusement that he's almost a part of the viewing audience.
Old 05-24-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish

You just said what I have been thinking for the past 3-4 weeks.

'Al' is a great character! In fact, I'm starting a new thread about great TV characters right now.
Old 05-24-04, 11:06 AM

That part where WU and Sw'ingen are in his office in the beginning, is one of the funniest things I have seen on TV in a while.
Old 05-24-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did I miss something? Why were they calling the newspaper guy Mayor? And what was up with the repetitive references to the restaurant being crowded?

"Bestist friends walking club"?

Otherwise - great series, great episode. Too bad it didn't start later so I have a Sunday night fix once Sopranos goes off.
Old 05-24-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Swe'gen! One cokesucka. No two cokesucka."

Man, what a great episode. Man, what a great show.

I was pleased that the previews said there were two episodes left. For some reason, I thought there was only one episode left.
Old 05-24-04, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by DeputyDave
Did I miss something? Why were they calling the newspaper guy Mayor? And what was up with the repetitive references to the restaurant being crowded?

Otherwise - great series, great episode. Too bad it didn't start later so I have a Sunday night fix once Sopranos goes off.
His name is A.W. Merrick, I think with the accent it sounded like mayor.
Old 05-24-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I need to rewatch this episode since I missed the first ten minutes, but I pretty much figured out what happened. Swearingen and Wu trying to communicate was just priceless.
Old 05-24-04, 11:11 AM

Did I miss something? Why were they calling the newspaper guy Mayor?
They were calling him by his name, Mr. Merrick. I guess perhaps it sounded like Mr. Mayor.

Brett
Old 05-24-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They weren't calling Merrick (the newspaper editor) mayor -- they were calling E.B. Farnum mayor. Last week, everyone (everyoen important, anyway) learned that they needed to have a town government. Farnum asked if he could be the mayor and nobody else gave a damn so they let him be mayor.

The references to the restaurant being crowded are that Deadwood is growing. Everyone's rushing in to try their hand at gold mining.

Deadwood history (no spoilers for future episodes): Deadwood was on Indian land. Nobody had a problem with that land being Indian land until someone discovered there was gold on the land. White people started rushing in and founded Deadwood. The U.S. government wanted to abide by their treaty with the Indians at first and told everyone to leave Deadwood. They didn't do much to kick them out, but they didn't provide any protection of law, either. So when the show started, Deadwood was an illegal town operating outside the jurisdiction of the U.S. Last week's episode was when the government decided "Screw the Indians. White people want the gold on that land and they're not giving up, so let's make sure these white people in Deadwood are part of the U.S." At that point, 1) the Legislature of the Dakota territories came to Swearengen and told him they would be a real town and they ought to have a real structure in place -- otherwise, the Legislature would put its own structure in place, and 2) the number of people coming to Deadwood drastically increased, since mining in Deadwood went from being an illegal way to get rich to a legal way to get rich.
Old 05-24-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought they were calling Merrick "Mayor" too, and even remarked to my wife about why were they calling him mayor, I thought EB was mayor?
Old 05-24-04, 11:41 AM

Great post JasonF, thanks. Helped me understand what's going on a lot better.
Old 05-24-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, I knew EB was mayor, but I thought I was missing an inside joke or something. I know the crowded reference was there to establish how busy deadwood was getting, but I thought it how often it was repeated was a tad excessive.
Old 05-24-04, 01:45 PM

After wasting time last year watching Carnivale, I was reluctant to try another HBO series. But luckily I gave Deadwood a try and I'm happy I did.

This show is great, and has been all season. I love the progress all the characters have already made in just this one season.
Isn't deadwood already signed up for at least another year?
Old 05-24-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I demand one thing from HBO...that all dramatic series be given at least the same amount of seasons as ARLI$$ had.
Old 05-24-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another good line from last night.

Al, ever the class act, asks the guy that came to pick up the bribes to remove his hat. This was right after Al is finished drowning the junkie.

So the guy takes his hat off and Al says something to the effect of...
"Get a haircut. It looks like your mother married a monkey."
Old 05-24-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Only two more episodes? My Tivo said Mr. Wu was number 10--I thought a season on HBO was 13 episodes. . .

tasha
Old 05-24-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The horse blasting Farnum square in the face with it's tail was also classic. I suppose it could be trained for that, but it looked like extremely fortunate happenstance to me.
Old 05-24-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
[i]

I was thinking the exact same thing.
Old 05-24-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Every episode of Deadwood, I wonder right before it starts....

Who's going to be fed to the pigs?

Almost like, who's next to be whacked on the Sopranos?
Old 05-24-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The season of Deadwood consists of 12 episodes and 12 more have been commissioned by HBO for a second season. The Sopranos have 13 eps per season. Sex & the City had 18 per w/ the exception of S1 (12 eps) & S5 (8 eps). I think the are 13 per for Six Feet Under though.

In short, seems to vary by the series.
Old 05-25-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by breaux124
After wasting time last year watching Carnivale, I was reluctant to try another HBO series. But luckily I gave Deadwood a try and I'm happy I did.
I cut Carnivale loose after 4 or 5 episodes. I learned my lesson from Taken.

Deadwood is definitely my favorite show right now. Swearingen is too funny.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.