Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Friends: The One(s) where Chandler says 'I Love You' to Monica?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-04, 04:24 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 942 Likes on 789 Posts

The reason I say one(s) is because there were two episodes where he does this that seem to exist as if the other didn't happen that has me way confused. Please help...

I thought the first time he said it was the episode where Rachel, Phoebe and Joey were all playing the 'they don't know we know' game in "The One Where They All Find Out" (I believe is the title) and winds up Phoebe and Chandler are about to hook up when all of a sudden he can't do it and professes his love for Monica (both clearly stating for the first time) who is hiding in the bathroom. They kiss and a nice moment ensues.

The second episode it happened during and this was timeline after the above when Monica and Chandler are established and everyone, including Ross know they are together: "The One with All The Thanksgivings". Chandler gets upset, Monica goes to cheer him up by putting a turkey on her head and dancing. He laughs and says 'I Love You'. Then it's this whole big thing that she is stunned he said it (still with the turkey on her head), he wishes to take it back as if never said. So it would seem this was the first time he said it as if the above ep. didn't exist.

Anyone else remotely understand what I am rambling about and can explain what the deal is? I would really appreciate it.
Club Box
Old 05-20-04, 05:19 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
To clarify, "The One With All the Thanksgivings" aired before "The One Where Everybody Finds Out"

(Scroll down to Season 5 here:
http://epguides.com/Friends/ )

Hope that helps!
Old 05-20-04, 06:07 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As noted above the turkey on her head episode happenned before the they don't know we know they know episode.

I too thought this was a contradiction, but my wife pointed out that Chandler said the first I love you and then denied it. The second time he really owned up to it, and I think that's what Monica and Chandler meant when they professed their love for each other: that this was the first time they'd said it without any reservations.
Old 05-20-04, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Blade
As noted above the turkey on her head episode happenned before the they don't know we know they know episode.

I too thought this was a contradiction, but my wife pointed out that Chandler said the first I love you and then denied it. The second time he really owned up to it, and I think that's what Monica and Chandler meant when they professed their love for each other: that this was the first time they'd said it without any reservations.
That's it. She also said it back the second time.
Old 05-20-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally posted by Blade

I have all the current seasons on dvd and for the life of me can't remember Monica with a turkey on her head. I remember Joey doing it. Same ep.?

Anyway, even though I don't remember the turkey, Blade's wife's recollection sounds familiar.
Old 05-20-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I have all the current seasons on dvd and for the life of me can't remember Monica with a turkey on her head. I remember Joey doing it. Same ep.?
Yup, same ep. And ditto to what everyone else said.

There were plenty of continuity errors on Friends, but this wasn't one of them.

Rob
Old 05-20-04, 09:19 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 942 Likes on 789 Posts
well...it just seemed they looked a little too chummy there on the couch with everyone around and that pat on the hand when Monica tells Chandler "I don't think you want to remember this one" was a little more than cordial..i guess i thought they had already come out of the closet. i think if you see that ep. again and see them together on the couch you will know exactly what i am talking about. thanks for the clarification though...
Old 05-20-04, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too was annoyed by this happening twice on two different episodes whenever I caught it on repeats. I always find myself saying "Didn't he already tell her that?".

Thanks for the clarification.