Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

24 -- 5/4/04

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
Kerry's been the Democratic Frontrunner since Al Gore said he wasnt running 2 years ago
Actually I think most people considered Howard Dean to be the Democratic Party front-runner up until the Iowa caucus. But Kerry has been the front-runner for at least two months, and I'm pretty sure the episode was filmed since then.
Old 05-05-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Was this the first episode to ever end with all the boxes showing up on screen like that? Usually, they show all the boxes then jump to one scene before the clock starts ticking...last night the closing shot was on all boxes.
ditto. I was waiting for the zoom to one panel to get our last minute cliff hanger.
Old 05-05-04, 12:56 PM

I have to say that I despise Sherry so much that it turns me on.
But damn is she vindictive.
Old 05-05-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally posted by Achtung
Actually I think most people considered Howard Dean to be the Democratic Party front-runner up until the Iowa caucus. But Kerry has been the front-runner for at least two months, and I'm pretty sure the episode was filmed since then.
This episode was filmed since then. However, they introduced Keeler's character in October or so (when Palmer walked out of the debate), at which time Kerry was not the frontrunner.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 05-05-04 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-05-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Kerry's been the Democratic Frontrunner since Al Gore said he wasnt running 2 years ago
Hardly. Kerry was just another guy in the pack behind Dean until the Iowa caucuses. He was also behind Clark.
Old 05-05-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by tonytapez
i'm assuming the baby is locked in TECH 1 along with Palmer's girlfriend, the people dying at the hotel, the guy that got infected and left the hotel, Jack's drug addiction, Chapelle's dead body, Palmer's virus infection from last season, Mandy the lesbo assassin, and every other major plot point this show left blowing in the wind.
alright i'll try to explain all of those
palmer's girlfriend decided to leave him
the guy who left the hotel was at the hospital being asked for questioning
i think they said that jacks drug addiction would just have to wait until the virus is contained
palmer's virus infection was mentioned at the begining of the season (remeber, this season takes place 2 years after last season.)
Old 05-05-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You assume that because Palmers black. Its never been said and there have been hints that could lead you to believe that he belongs to either party. Still, the AFL-CIO thing was a huge hint.
I don't assume anything. Sherry clearly stated around Episode 17 or 18 of Season 1 that he was running for the Democratic nomination.
Old 05-05-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm assuming the baby is locked in TECH 1 along with Palmer's girlfriend, the people dying at the hotel, the guy that got infected and left the hotel, Jack's drug addiction, Chapelle's dead body, Palmer's virus infection from last season, Mandy the lesbo assassin, and every other major plot point this show left blowing in the wind.
Are all the babies from Friends in there, too?
Old 05-05-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by leepyswetr
Are all the babies from Friends in there, too?
And the laughs from Friends?
Old 05-05-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Palmer is a Democrat. I'm pretty sure Keeler is Republican since he is the Presidental challenger.

The "John Ke" sign doesn't mean anything.

Anyway, back on my favorite line:

Jane: Kim's dad... He scares me. (camera zooms in to Jane's face).

Pretty good point about Michelle not forcing Saunders to kill her. Talk about a selfish bitch.
Old 05-05-04, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Boot
And the laughs from Friends?
Old 05-05-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LBCrazyFool

Best line of the night.

"Chloe, I'm talking to my sister." - Adam
"The one who was infected with the virus?" - Chloe
My favorite as well. I love the silly lines, they crack me up.
Old 05-05-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Average episode, if that.

Does anyone actually believe that Tony and Michelle are in love? There is absolutely no emotion between them. They are both like cold fish.

And why does everyone in CTU always whisper?
Old 05-05-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• movieking •

Does anyone actually believe that Tony and Michelle are in love? There is absolutely no emotion between them. They are both like cold fish.
No. In fact, I'd argue that this is the show's greatest weakness. I never bought Jack and Terri, David and Sherry, David and Anne, Jack and Claudia, Kim and Chase , or Tony and Michelle. I do believe that Jack loves Kim, but that's really about it. Every other relationship is either so terribly written or so poorly acted that it's just not believeable. Perhaps that's simply a function of the 24-hour structure, but regardless, it makes it difficult to care what happens to these people if you don't buy into their relationships.

das
Old 05-05-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmm. Interesting point. But I think that's a bit too harsh a criticism. There's still a great deal of love between the kids and their parents - Kyle (wanna-be dealer) and his parents - even though I hated the Kyle character, I found the relationship between his parents to be pretty realistic which did keep me interested. Other good examples are Palmer/kids and of course Jack/Terri and Kim. And even Saunders and Jane.

I don't have a problem with Tony and Michelle's relationship, seems fine (couples can act pretty strange at work). Sherri and Palmer is another story. Chase and Kim does seem to be much more cold; for instance, she didn't know he was a father.
Old 05-05-04, 07:10 PM

I really enjoyed this episode while it happened. I'm able to you place myself into the story and not think about it. Then it ended and I have to agree the episode was mearly filler setting up for the end of the season.
Old 05-05-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Personally, I think part of the problem with caring for people on the screen is that the show kills people like ants all the time. If someone is in the way, shoot them in the head. Someone isn't complying with your orders or is shaky in confidence? Just kill them. It's done SO much that many of the people become props, not characters.

If you watch a show like 'The Shield,' how often do you really see guns being fired? Not that often. You see guns being drawn, and you may see a body on the street that's bullet-ridden, but you don't often see shoot-outs. As much as I enjoy shoot-outs in action/drama shows and movies, I think it's just overdone in "24."

People get killed so often in this show, you are almost looking forward to it. And when it doesn't happen, people say, "geez, Jack (or whoever) hasn't killed anyone lately, has he? What's his body count so far?"
Old 05-06-04, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They should just have a still frame of an extended middle finger for the full hour.
Old 05-06-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Having watched all three seasons of 24, I consider myself a fan of the show. However, if there was a general comment that would sum up the show for me, it would be this: The plot is incredible but the dialogue is terrible.

I noticed it first in the second season, and it's all over the place this season. The storylines are very gripping and involving, but the dialogue sounds...so...fake. It's like they're improvising on the spot. To be fair, this isn't the fault of the actors (who are all very competant), but the screenwriters really need to get their acts together and write something that sounds...real (or at least not fake).

Again, I'm a fan of the show, but to me this is clearly the weakest aspect of 24.

very good points...and don't forget Terri's amnesia and Kim's mountain lion. This season, especially, though has a LOT of plot points to wrap up. And they better do it! :shakes fist:

Last edited by Goldblum; 05-06-04 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-06-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
While some of those are valid, some are pretty nitpicky.

The hotel stituation: the CDC has it contained. The CDC isn't run by CTU so why bother wasting screen time if it is under control?

Chappelle: Do you need to see Saunders actually order him dumped in a river? No. You know Saunders is the bad guy, he took care of it, do you need to see it? Not really.

President's girlfriend: She left him sometime in the evening. 5-ish. This takes place in a day, remember? It is only morning time now. She probably went home and retired to bed early after a traumatic day. She will probably contact him later in the day. In the time frame after this season ends. Just another trivial thing that doesn't really need to be shown.

Mandy?: This takes place three years later. She is probably loaded and kicking it on a beach right now making out with some hot chick in a bikini.

Now, the true mysteries, I agree with: the baby(I don't care what happened to it but it is kinda odd), and the drug addiction. Oh, and the super virus that is loose, but I'm sure they will be getting to it soon.
Old 05-06-04, 11:07 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 594 Likes on 340 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Mandy?: This takes place three years later. She is probably loaded and kicking it on a beach right now making out with some hot chick in a bikini.
They really should show this. You know, for the sake of completeness.
Old 05-06-04, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Originally posted by Bandoman
They really should show this. You know, for the sake of completeness.
I agree.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mandy pop up somewhere in these last three shows.
Old 05-06-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
But you can see those scenes on "The L Word"
Old 05-06-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I expect plot holes in 24 but this lastest Sherry scheme is so retarded I cant get over it. Not only as somebody already pointed out that Palmer could easily say his timeline was wrong due to every thing going on but WHAT DOES SHE GET OUT OF IT?
Old 05-06-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

By far the worst episode of the season. Actually, it was probably the only bad one this year, but man did it ever stink.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.