Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

24 -- 5/4/04

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally posted by dcprules
anyone else notice how his name closely resembles another candidate striving for the office in November.
I noticed it, but it is just a coincidence. They wrote, filmed, and aired the original episode with Keeler long before Kerry was anywhere near being the Democratic frontrunner.
Old 05-05-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• dcprules •

anyone else notice how his name closely resembles another candidate striving for the office in November
This struck me for the first time tonight too. The giant campaign poster they had hanging in his staff's office immediately made me think of Kerry. I assume that's unintentional. Also, when they started talking about the debates, it reminded me of what was going on earlier in the "day." I started thinking of Claudia and the Salazars and Anne, and I just had to laugh. Haysbert's a great actor, and I know they want to keep all the first season cast involved in every episode, but every part of his side-story with Milliken and the debates and Sherry is just terrible. I wish they'd just focus on stuff like him dealing with Saunders instead of trying to concoct some silly plot to keep him in every episode.

das
Old 05-05-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
The Palmer storyline is so stupid it makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

He could just say he was in the middle of a possible terroist attack and wasn't thinking straight. Instead they actually expect us to believe this could force him to withdraw from the election
But, dude, Sherry has a pill bottle, man...

A PILL BOTTLE!!!
Old 05-05-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Ranger •

(Next week arrives) "HA-HA! YA COULDN"T DO IT!"
I wish I could, but I'm already too invested, and you never know when Kim will need to drop the CTU outfit and bounce around a bit. As silly as it's all become, I'm still curious what they'll do next. I watched all 4 hours of 10.5 for much the same reason. Besides, the way some get so personally offended that they feel the need to attack me simply because I share my honest opinion about each episode (just like every other show I watch) only inspires me to keep watching.

das
Old 05-05-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the show, but some of the plot lines are are very weak.

My wife and I love watching the show, we are on the edge of our seats waiting for the last hour tick by.
Old 05-05-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This episode seriously reminded me of last season in reverse. If I remember correctly, Jack received a demand for Cate last season, so he had to smuggle her out of CTU, and Tony tried to lock CTU down to stop it (but failed of course, at the end of the episode, for drama). Now Tony receives a demand for Saunder's daughter and tries to smuggle her out of CTU, and Jack tries to lock CTU down to stop it (but fails of course, at the end of the episode, for drama).
Old 05-05-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I loved how tough Michelle was when they ripped the tape off her mouth. Was I the only one that had the urge to duct tape my mouth and rip it off to see how much it hurt?

I think Michelle will make it and Tony will not. Feels like the obvious way to go.
Old 05-05-04, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by dcprules
anyone else notice how his name closely resembles another candidate striving for the office in November
Except on 24, Keeler's the Republican candidate. Which made me wonder how he could've lost the AFL-CIO endorsement like they were reporting at the beginning of the episode. In what kind of bizarro world would the labor unions endorse the GOP?!
Old 05-05-04, 05:00 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 594 Likes on 340 Posts
Originally posted by Ranger
Was I the only one that had the urge to duct tape my mouth and rip it off to see how much it hurt?
Probably.

Jack was ready to shoot Chloe for a minute there. Wasted opportunity, if you ask me.
Old 05-05-04, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Doughboy
Except on 24, Keeler's the Republican candidate.
Did they say that when he first appeared? I forgot all about the whole debate, it was soooo long ago.
Old 05-05-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts
Not a great episode by any means. I guess I'm the only person who's interested in Palmer's storyline. Part of me just really wants to know what the hell Sherri is up to.

Once again I really want Chloe to go. It would have been so easy to just leave her locked up in that room for the rest of the season.
Old 05-05-04, 08:43 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
I thought it was a pretty good episode last night. No jaw-drop moments for sure, but thought the storyline about a possible CTU mole was handled quite well.
Old 05-05-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Tony didn't tell Jack because Jack wouldn't have thought twice about letting Michelle die if that's what it took to keep leverage, keep Saunders' daughter, and help stop the virus outbreak. But Tony is definitely nearing the point of no return.
Old 05-05-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bandoman
Probably.

Jack was ready to shoot Chloe for a minute there. Wasted opportunity, if you ask me.
As Tony was locking down Chloe in the Tech room (no computer, no phones, door locked...), I was halfway wondering if he had a way to remotely kill her from his desk - you know, poison gas, or release the dogs, or the killer bees, ....

BTW It's a good thing Jack took over, because with Ryan gone, Tony gone, Michelle gone, Adam "compromised", we were almost back to Chloe being in charge...
Old 05-05-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• flagstone •

we were almost back to Chloe being in charge...
That would be terrible ... who would watch the baby?!?

das
Old 05-05-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Could Chloe be the most unsympathetic and annoying character ever on TV this season? I was really hoping she'd be locked in for the last 3 hours in Tech 1.

I realize Michelle wants to live, but I guess she never thought to take one for the team and force Saunders to kill her, thus giving him no leverage at all. Oh wait, that would have killed the last few hours of cat-n-mouse games for the show.

Sherry Palmer has to go down in TV history as one diabolical villainess with absolutely no conscience. When will David finally wise up and put her out of her misery.

Jack showed good instincts sniffing out Tony's deceptions so quickly.

Last edited by Patman; 05-05-04 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-05-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
I wish I could, but I'm already too invested, and you never know when Kim will need to drop the CTU outfit and bounce around a bit. As silly as it's all become, I'm still curious what they'll do next. I watched all 4 hours of 10.5 for much the same reason. Besides, the way some get so personally offended that they feel the need to attack me simply because I share my honest opinion about each episode (just like every other show I watch) only inspires me to keep watching.

das
I'll assume that was aimed at me. I was just wondering why you keep watching the show if you don't like it. But I guess its possible to be intrigued by something and hate it all at once, like a train wreck--to which I'm not comparing this show, but you can if you like. Sorry if I came off as "personally offended"... the rolling eyes were more of a joke, but I see people take them quite seriously.

I didn't think this episode was that great, more of a filler and setting up Tony to fall. But honestly, it would have been the best episode ever if Jack coule have just pulled that trigger!
Old 05-05-04, 09:22 AM

That would be terrible ... who would watch the baby?!?

das
Is the baby still at CTU?
Old 05-05-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Y'all think Saunders would accept Chloe in lieu of his daughter? Chloe could be a close cousin to Debbie Downer.
Old 05-05-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Achtung •

I'll assume that was aimed at me.
Not really. You're not the first, and likely won't be the last. What I don't get is how I express essentially the same sentiment as many others in the thread, and yet immediately people pounce on my post as some grave offense. Still, I'm glad you clarified your post, as I didn't interpret it too positively.

I do reject the idea that I "hate" the show. I'm simply critical of it. When it's good, I say so. When it's laughably bad, I respond in kind. Recently the latter has been more appropriate, but unlike other shows, it is at least unique. And while much of it rings false, it's often very intense, and there aren't too many shows that offer that. 24 provides a television watching experience unlike any other show for me: one minute I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what Jack will do, and the next I'm laughing out loud at the silliness of some melodramatic scene. It's almost operatic in its approach, with everything unrealistically over the top, and it's often fun to watch, even when it's terrible. I consistently watch quite a few shows that I would consider to be far worse than 24.

• Achtung •

I didn't think this episode was that great, more of a filler and setting up Tony to fall. But honestly, it would have been the best episode ever if Jack coule have just pulled that trigger!
"Filler" is exactly how I'd describe this episode. I know Saunders has conveniently forgotten that he still has control over all these virus locations during the last couple of hours, but did anyone else even mention the virus? You'd think that would still carry some weight, but it all seems bypassed to focus on Michelle. Last night just felt like setup for Tony and Sherry before going into the final episodes.

das
Old 05-05-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When it's good, I say so. When it's laughably bad, I respond in kind. Recently the latter has been more appropriate, but unlike other shows, it is at least unique. And while much of it rings false, it's often very intense, and there aren't too many shows that offer that. 24 provides a television watching experience unlike any other show for me: one minute I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what Jack will do, and the next I'm laughing out loud at the silliness of some melodramatic scene. It's almost operatic in its approach, with everything unrealistically over the top, and it's often fun to watch, even when it's terrible.
An apt description of 24.

I actually think some of the bad acting makes the show a bit more realistic sometimes. Rather than everything being pinpoint dialogue and complete edge-of-your-seat drama, people act stupid, and make mistakes. This show doesn't pretend to be an Aaron Sorkin production, nor should it be one. Eh, but maybe I'm just making excuses. I don't normally enjoy shows like 24, so I'm as shocked as the next person.
Old 05-05-04, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Mysteryfan
Is the baby still at CTU?
i'm assuming the baby is locked in TECH 1 along with Palmer's girlfriend, the people dying at the hotel, the guy that got infected and left the hotel, Jack's drug addiction, Chapelle's dead body, Palmer's virus infection from last season, Mandy the lesbo assassin, and every other major plot point this show left blowing in the wind.
Old 05-05-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I noticed it, but it is just a coincidence. They wrote, filmed, and aired the original episode with Keeler long before Kerry was anywhere near being the Democratic frontrunner.
Kerry's been the Democratic Frontrunner since Al Gore said he wasnt running 2 years ago

Except on 24, Keeler's the Republican candidate.
You assume that because Palmers black. Its never been said and there have been hints that could lead you to believe that he belongs to either party. Still, the AFL-CIO thing was a huge hint.
Old 05-05-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 336 Likes on 251 Posts
Was this the first episode to ever end with all the boxes showing up on screen like that? Usually, they show all the boxes then jump to one scene before the clock starts ticking...last night the closing shot was on all boxes.

I LOVED last night's show...sure, they're treading a very fine line between tension and believability - but that was one great hour of TV!
Old 05-05-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Was this the first episode to ever end with all the boxes showing up on screen like that? Usually, they show all the boxes then jump to one scene before the clock starts ticking...last night the closing shot was on all boxes.
I was thinking the same thing and I'm pretty sure it was the first time it ended that way.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.