Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

8 ABC Affiliates Told Not to Air "NIGHTLINE"

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 636 Likes on 510 Posts
Originally posted by nemein

[1] As I understand the Libertarian party it is about individual choice as long as you are willing to face the consequences of your actions (which is why c-man likes refer to it as the "anarchist party" ). I don't see why you aren't extending this courtesy to Smith/Sinclair? I agree you can disagree w/ the decision and maybe that's all you are doing, but it seems to me you are making more of an argument that because he's in a position of power he somehow must be held to a higher/different standard. Maybe that's a point I missed when reading about the LP but if freedom of action is what it's about, let him do what he will. Nothing is being done in secret, there is no conspiracy here, so I just fundamentally don't see the problem. ABC decided to read the name (which are already publically available in many places) and Smith/Sinclair announced he's going to preempt it. Each is taking an action/position based on their belief of what is the right thing to do. The two parties have planted their flags now it's up to the rest of us to decide how we are going to react (if we choose) to that.

Supporting Sinclair's right to take action while decrying the action of stripping the public of choice based on a non-market reason is consistently Libertarian. Censorship and quasi-censorship (what we have here) is my #1 political issue. I take it very seriously. Now if there was a real threat of viewers boycotting Sinclair stations for content aired (say something like ABC airing a gratuitious nude scene on NYPD Blue in Salt Lake City), then you are talking about a market-based decision. If the affiliate blocked it for fear of losing advertisers and viewers for that and other programming, at least that is something I can understand.

I've given my opinion of what Sinclair should have done, which you essentially responded by saying 'get real.' You are right of course, but that is what I truly believe would have been the best way to handle it without sacrificing principles.

Last edited by Red Dog; 04-30-04 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-30-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

It is no different than me complaining about people who keep saying 'religion of peace' in Islam threads. I support their right to say it, but I certainly think it is an asinine thing to do over and over.
Old 04-30-04, 03:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've given my opinion of what Sinclair should have done, which you essentially responded by saying 'get real.' You are right of course, but that is what I truly believe would have been the best way to handle it without sacrificing principles.
W/O sacrificing your principles though, which are probably not the principles Smith adhears to. That's the only point I've been trying to make
Old 04-30-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

W/O sacrificing your principles though, which are probably not the principles Smith adhears to. That's the only point I've been trying to make

The principle of freedom of choice is not a principle shared by all Americans and capitalists?

Last edited by Red Dog; 04-30-04 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-30-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk God

With the crawl, Sinclair could have stated their opposition to a perceived poltical play by the network while still giving the public the opportunity to tune in, tune out, or even tune it and think about what may really be going on here besides a recitation of names.
Old 04-30-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sinclair's response to criticism from John McCain:

The ABC Television Network announced on Tuesday that the Friday, April 30 edition of "Nightline" will consist entirely of Ted Koppel reading aloud the names of U.S. servicemen and women killed in action in Iraq. Despite the denials by a spokeswoman for the show, the action appears to be motivated by a political agenda designed to undermine the efforts of the United States in Iraq.

There is no organization that holds the members of our military and those soldiers who have sacrificed their lives in service of our country in higher regard than Sinclair Broadcast Group. While Sinclair would support an honest effort to honor the memory of these brave soldiers, we do not believe that is what "Nightline" is doing. Rather, Mr. Koppel and "Nightline" are hiding behind this so-called tribute in an effort to highlight only one aspect of the war effort and in doing so to influence public opinion against the military action in Iraq. Based on published reports, we are aware of the spouse of one soldier who died in Iraq who opposes the reading of her husband's name to oppose our military action. We suspect she is not alone in this viewpoint. As a result, we have decided to preempt the broadcast of "Nightline' this Friday on each of our stations which air ABC programming.

We understand that our decision in this matter may be questioned by some. Before you judge our decision, however, we would ask that you first question Mr. Koppel as to why he chose to read the names of 523 troops killed in combat in Iraq, rather than the names of the thousands of private citizens killed in terrorist attacks since and including the events of September 11, 2001. In his answer, we believe you will find the real motivation behind his action scheduled for this Friday. Unfortunately, we may never know for sure because Mr. Koppel has refused repeated requests from Sinclair's News Central news organization to comment on this Friday's program.
http://www.sbgi.net/

According to Drudge:

FLASH: SWITCHBOARD CHAOS AT SINCLAIR HEADQUARTERS' AS THOUSANDS CALL TO PROTEST DECISION TO CENSOR NIGHTLINE. FOX AFFILIATE WHNS IN GREENVILLE SOUTH CAROLINA TO AIR NIGHTLINE BROADCAST THIS EVENING IN LOCAL MARKET AFFECTED BY SINCLAIR PRE-EMPTION. ABC RADIO MAKES FEED AVAILABLE TO LOCAL RADIO IN AFFECTED MARKETS. ST LOUIS RADIO KTRS WILL CLEAR TO AIR SIMULCAST... DEVELOPING...
Sorry for the caps. Good ol' Matt in action.
Old 04-30-04, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
The principle of freedom of choice is not a principle shared by all Americans and capitalists?
The capitalists are excluded from using the principle of freedom of choice themselves
Old 04-30-04, 03:51 PM

We understand that our decision in this matter may be questioned by some. Before you judge our decision, however, we would ask that you first question Mr. Koppel as to why he chose to read the names of 523 troops killed in combat in Iraq, rather than the names of the thousands of private citizens killed in terrorist attacks since and including the events of September 11, 2001.
I wouldn't even related it back to that... why are they choosing only to read the names of those killed "in combat" instead of everyone who has died in Iraq. Addtionally why just those in Iraq and not Afghanistan or in other parts of the world wrt the WoT? This isn't even getting into the whole question of why not honor those from other countries as well... (although I understand that one given the media and public are generally UScentric.)
Old 04-30-04, 03:52 PM

SWITCHBOARD CHAOS AT SINCLAIR HEADQUARTERS' AS THOUSANDS CALL TO PROTEST DECISION TO CENSOR NIGHTLINE.
Sounds like the "system" [Sinclair made a choice and is now facing the consequences] is working just fine to me
Old 04-30-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I totally agree with this decision. I don't want to have to hear the names of those lazy sons of bitches that got killed just because they voluntarily signed up for a service with the intention of protecting my homeland! How dare Koppel and his scumbag friends try to force-feed me the names of the anonymous slobs who sacrificed their lives for me! They don't deserve one second of my TV watching time!

These broadcasters need to grow some... Their behavior is offensive. I almost never watch Nightline but perhaps I'll watch it tonight, if only to give my respects to these folks.
Old 04-30-04, 03:54 PM

If reading/listening to name equals respect to you I'll save you the trouble of having to listen... here's the current list as best as we can tell http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=361468
Old 04-30-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no organization that holds the members of our military and those soldiers who have sacrificed their lives in service of our country in higher regard than Sinclair Broadcast Group.
Old 04-30-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,858 Likes on 1,958 Posts
Senator John McCain weighs in: http://www.drudgereport.com/flash6.htm

I write to strongly protest your decision to instruct Sinclair's ABC affiliates to preempt this evening's Nightline program. I find deeply offensive Sinclair's objection to Nightline's intention to broadcast the names and photographs of Americans who gave their lives in service to our country in Iraq.
[More in link]
Old 04-30-04, 07:05 PM

Are they including the dead soldiers from Afghanistan? Same sacrifice isnt it?
Old 04-30-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If reading/listening to name equals respect to you I'll save you the trouble of having to listen... here's the current list as best as we can tell http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=361468
Thanks for the link. The inclusion of photos on the tv program will undoubtedly make the list far more moving than a posting on a message board, however.
Old 04-30-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Stu 17
Good question.
Old 05-01-04, 06:40 AM
Banned

Originally posted by silentbob007
I think the point is ... why are they choosing to read the names now?
So maybe more Americans won't have to die?

BTW, how many people enlist in the army because they see it as a way to a better life-- serve 4 years then get a free college education. It is a shame they had to go to Iraq to die.

Plus, we owed it to those dead. They were willing to fight for our freedom. But this war in Iraq is not making us any more free.

And since nobody else is saying it, I will. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Even Rumsfield is now admitting it.
Old 05-01-04, 06:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Red Dog
With the crawl, Sinclair could have stated their opposition to a perceived poltical play by the network while still giving the public the opportunity to tune in, tune out, or even tune it and think about what may really be going on here besides a recitation of names.
I wonder what they played in place Nightline?
Old 05-01-04, 06:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Senator John McCain weighs in: http://www.drudgereport.com/flash6.htm

[More in link]
Thanks for the link. I always am interested to know what McCain thinks. He is one of the few politicians I trust.
Old 05-01-04, 07:59 AM

"BTW, how many people enlist in the army because they see it as a way to a better life-- serve 4 years then get a free college education. It is a shame they had to go to Iraq to die. "

Its a shame that they may die, but thats a chance they were willing to take. Otherwise they wouldnt have signed up. You can scrap together enough money working for 4 years to then go to college.
Old 05-01-04, 08:23 AM
Banned

"BTW, how many people enlist in the army because they see it as a way to a better life-- serve 4 years then get a free college education. It is a shame they had to go to Iraq to die. "

Its a shame that they may die, but thats a chance they were willing to take. Otherwise they wouldnt have signed up. You can scrap together enough money working for 4 years to then go to college.
Well, not really. I knew some people in high school who joined the military for lots of reasons. All of them loved the USA, just as most people do. But I would bet you if you asked them, would you be willing to die, they would have probably said no, unless there was a clear danger to the USA. But the problem is, soilders don't get to decide what wars they participate in. By the time they enlist, it is too late. They can't change their minds.

Getting back to the original post. I knew people in high school who decided to join the military because it was the best job they could find. Rather than working in a McDonalds for minimum wage, they thought not only was the military a good job, but they would be gaurenteed money for college. No chance of not saving enough or anything else. Plus, if you ever talked to a recruiter, they would tell you that you would learn a skill while in the military too, and they made it sound like that skill would pay well in civilian life.

So I believe many of the soilders in Iraq are patriotic and they got a raw deal they can't back out of. It is a shame, because I doubt, even if we win and transform Iraq into a democoracy, that we will be any safer. The USA is not benifiting from this war. I can't understand why we are there.
Old 05-01-04, 08:35 AM

I think the world benefits everytime a tyrrany turns into a democracy.

And I agree that the soldiers got a bad deal, but its part of the job. But the same goes for cops and firefighters who put their neck out every day.

Just this past week there was a chase for a suspect that wound up having a police officer pinned against a garage by the suspects car. The cop opened fire, shot the guy and he eventually died. Now the cop is going through a big investigation, there have been candlelight vigil protests at the local precinct saying the cop acted wrongly. This cop is getting a bad deal too, but he signed up to be a cop. Just like these people signed up for the military. It comes with the uniform.
Old 05-01-04, 08:44 AM
Banned

And I agree that the soldiers got a bad deal, but its part of the job. But the same goes for cops and firefighters who put their neck out every day.

Just this past week there was a chase for a suspect that wound up having a police officer pinned against a garage by the suspects car. The cop opened fire, shot the guy and he eventually died. Now the cop is going through a big investigation, there have been candlelight vigil protests at the local precinct saying the cop acted wrongly. This cop is getting a bad deal too, but he signed up to be a cop. Just like these people signed up for the military. It comes with the uniform.
Cops are a bit different than soilders. Cops don't have ak-47's and rpg's shot their way. Also, a cop can quit his job anytime he wants. Those soilders ain't getting to pick when they come home.

I dunno. I think I am done posting about politics. It is all so sad. Maybe one of these days I will turn on the TV and see a news alert: World Peace achieved, no more war or hunger.
Old 05-01-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whether or not that will actually happen in Iraq is a whole other story... probably best left for another thread. But then there's a reason I stopped debating politics on internet message boards a long time ago.
Old 05-01-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe they cited time constaints as a reason for not being able to mention more names. But yes, those who died in Afghanistan should be honored similarly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.