Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Strangers With Candy...blind buy recommendation?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-29-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know much about this show, other than it stars David Sedaris' sister. I really enjoy some of the books he's written (Me Talk Pretty One Day, Naked, etc.) and I'm wondering if the show shares the same kind of humor as his writing.

If it does, I'd definitely buy it. If it doesn't--but it's a great show nonetheless-- I'd strongly consider it. If it blows....well, that's what I want to find out.

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-29-04, 12:33 AM
Banned

An ex-boyfriend and his friends were obsessed with this show. I dunno. It took me a WHILE to get into it. It's a very specific brand of humor that takes a bit of getting used to I feel. But I could be wrong. Just depends on what you find funny I guess. I enjoy it now. Don't think it was anything ground breaking or hysterical. It's a bit juvenile. But...fun for a few laughs when you have some spare time.
Old 04-29-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
It took me a WHILE to get into it. It's a very specific brand of humor that takes a bit of getting used to I feel. But I could be wrong. Just depends on what you find funny I guess.
Is the humor similar to Mr. Show, with Bob and David?
Old 04-29-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the feedback digitalfreak.

If you could tell me what kind of humor your ex-boyfriend had (like what are some of his favorite comedies, tv shows) that might help me guage what his humor is like.

I still don't have much of an idea of what kind of humor this show has, but you're opening the floodgates. Thanks!

Last edited by SlingshotBandit; 04-29-04 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-29-04, 02:07 AM

take your typical after school special, mix it with a bit of South Park, throw in a bit of brutal prison movie frankness, give it a comedic approach, and you'll have Stranger's With Candy.

it's humor is quite graphic, but also very satirical, especially of the after school specials. it was a funny show. you can still catch it on Comedy Central occasionally, late at night.
Old 04-29-04, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cool. thanks, grabtastic.

how's amy sedaris? is the show spotty at times, or is it consistently what it is--consistently good if you like that kind of humor?
Old 04-29-04, 03:12 AM

there are a few times when the raunchy humor goes a bit over the top, but it's still pretty funny most of the time. Amy Sedaris is hilarious as Jerry. i don't know how much you know about her role, but she plays a former teenage runaway turned streetwalker turned criminal who decides to go home and resume her teenage life where she left off. the funny part is that she's now somewhere in her late 40s and a chronic felon.

the show is basically all about Jerry using the lessons she learned from her former criminal life to make friends in her new lilly white suburban highschool life. as you can imagine, things get pretty wild.

she's got a screwed up family that consists of her father, who's in the midst of a constant seizure that leaves him frozen with this horrified look on his face, her step mother, who is about the same age as her and despises her, and her teenage half brother who she trades insults with on a regular basis.

then there's her school, which is filled with after school stereotypes gone crazy. the popular girls hate her, though she manages to get on their good side by selling them drugs. she has a nerdy guy as her "friend" (she enjoys hurling racial slurs at him). the school staff is a bizarre lot as well. the principal is walking a fine line between school official and gambleholic, two of her male teachers are in the closet and a third female teacher is a hard nosed lesbian.

some strange stuff, i know. that's probably why it didn't last so long. i think it was a bit too much for a lot of people. other people just didn't get it, like digitalfreak said. i would suggest renting it or maybe trying to catch it on Comedy Central some night before you go buy the DVDs.
Old 04-29-04, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I highly recommend this show. It's a writer's show--the characters are generally vehicles for delivering the script's meticulously phrased jokes. For reference, my other favorite comediy shows include The Office, Mr. Show, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Futurama, and Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I don't like Family Guy or South Park. If your tastes align with mine, then I think you'll really like Strangers with Candy.
Old 04-29-04, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First of all, thanks for replying to the thread...

Secondly, I like Futurama AND Family Guy. South Park is funny at times (although I haven't caught an episode in years, sans the Lord of the Rings/Adult Video episode--hilarious) and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I just bought the Office Seasons (haven't watched an episode yet, though), but don't know anything about Mr. Show or Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

How about this...have you ever seen The State? That's my favorite sketch comedy show of all-time. Given that bit of info, do you think I'll like this show?
Old 04-29-04, 03:24 AM

I like The State. It's not my favorite show ever, but I do like it. I also really like David Sedaris' writing, and there are similarities between his books and Amy's show--both are very observant and incisive, though Amy is definitely cruder. I think you should go for it--DDD has each season for $16.20 shipped.
Old 04-29-04, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$32.40 for 2 seasons? That's almost the price of a typical tv show for just 1 season.

Hmm, tempting. Maybe I'll try the DVD Exchange Forum to see if it's up for grabs there. But either way, I'll probably get it by the end of the week.

Oh, and for the record, I think The State is my favorite sketch comedy show (I say "I think" because it was a spur-of-the-moment comment) of all time, but not favorite show (in general) of all time. Just thought I'd clarify that in case I confused you. =)

Thanks for elaborating. Your opinion helped make me decide.

If anyone else wants to add their 2 cents, I'll gladly hear more stuff on this show. (Just recently discovered this show existed, thus explaining my excitment).
Old 04-29-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hilarious show. David and Amy definitely share the same odd/twisted sense of humor.
Old 04-29-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I HATED this show with a fiery passion. And, I am easily amused... I love beavis and butthead, south park, SNL, MadTV, SCTV, Crank Yankers, Chappelle Show, Aqua Teens, Ben Stiller show, almost all stand up... and I liked most of Mr. Show... IMHO, this show was one of the worst things ever to be shown on television.
Old 04-29-04, 10:28 AM

Personally, I think this show is flat-out brilliant. I own the first two seasons on DVD, & eagerly await the third (and, unfortunately, last) this fall. (I also love David Sedaris' writings.) The humor is very dark, twisted, and un-PC (the African-American principal is named "Onyx Blackman"), and Amy's line readings just make me roar.

I think the reason that the show wasn't more popular is that Jerri Blank (the lead character) is almost totally un-sympathetic. The very attractive Amy Sedaris is unrecognizable inside the "fat-suit", wig, dental prosthetic, and unflattering make-up. Jerri is none-too-bright, amoral/immoral, and has poor hygiene. Likewise, most of the supporting characters are self-centered louts, broadly played.

An example of the kind of humor: In the first episode of the second season, Jerri is distraught over having to choose a post-high school career. The score from her occupational aptitude test indicates her ideal job would be “junkie-whore” (her response: “Junkie-whore! Wait … I’ve done that.”

This brand of humor won't appeal to all (most?) tastes, and the writing is uneven, but I still think it's the best series Comedy Central has ever produced.
Old 04-29-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by FilmFanSea

This brand of humor won't appeal to all (most?) tastes, but I still think it's the best series Comedy Central has ever produced.

The show is fabulously twisted...
Old 04-29-04, 11:00 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I too thought that this show was brilliant. I think what makes it so funny is that there was plenty of wierdness to be found in the characters (as many others have described in this thread), but none of the characters point out just how absurd everyone is. For example, Jerri gets treated like a typical highschool, depsite the fact that she's 47 years old. Portraits of principal Blackman can be found on nearly every wall in the school (much like the posters of Big Brother in Orwell's 1984), yet no one ever seems to notice.

The show works because the odd characters have to deal with problems that after school specials deal with (popularity, drugs, drinking, etc.). Because the characters are so out-there, the problems never get solved in the way they would in a typical after school special and if they do, it's usually at someone else's expense.

It's hard to say what this show was like because there really wasn't anything else like it. I too suggest either renting it or watching it on Comedy Central. CC has been known to air it during the day, so perhaps you can check CC's schedule and catch it then.
Old 04-29-04, 11:17 AM

The show airs I think daily on Comedy Central, or if you have Comcast cable you can find it in the On Demand section.

I'll be honest, the first few times I watched it, I didn't like it. At all.

But, a couple months ago, I saw a couple episodes and had the exact opposite reaction. I loved it.

Amy Sedaris is hysterical. Probably as funny, maybe funnier than her brother.

I'd suggest maybe watching a few episodes, or renting one of the DVDs before buying.
Old 04-29-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Same folks who also wrote the recently released book "Wigfield".

And don't forget - the MOVIE is on the way!
Old 04-29-04, 11:59 AM

SWC was definitely one of the best shows on TV. It is absolutely hilarious. You should definitely pick it up. If you get it at DDD and don't like it you should be able to make back the money on ebay, or at the very least you will be out the cost of a rental.

Some of the humor is in your face, while there is also some subtle humor.

There are a few sites with Episode Guides so you might want to check them out. Here is one: http://www.jerriblank.com/swcepgd.html#mytop
Old 04-29-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy it. I love the dry humor in the show. I am ready for the 3rd season to be released. The movie should be interesting as well.
Old 04-29-04, 06:45 PM

The great thing about the Jerri Blank character is that, for someone who's been a prostitute and drug addict and even hints at a past that involved sex with animals, she's incredibly naive, like a child. She's also hysterically racist, especially when it comes to her only friend who is Philippino.

The show also has its own way with words. When Jerri dumps her loser friends a popular girl tells her "you did the right wrong thing".

If you'd say your sense of humor is twisted you'll enjoy this.
Old 04-29-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
One of the funniest shows EVER! Incredibly twisted. You'll hate yourself in the morning for laughing so hard. I do And this show has incredible replay value. I always throw on an episode here and there for friends when they're over.
Old 04-30-04, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, this is overwhelmingly winning me over. I don't necessarily think this is a sure fire hit for me, but with the way most of you guys are talking about this show I don't have much fear for dissapointment.

I'll check back in with you guys in a week to let you know what I think. I'll be ordering it tomorrow.

Again...thanks!
Old 05-02-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I honestly am amazed that so many of you liked it. I have never met anyone in real life who liked it at all.

Old 05-03-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sling....definitely check it out. Hilarious show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.