TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SHVIA (Satellite Home Viewer Improvemnt Act) will see some changes

Old 04-28-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
SHVIA (Satellite Home Viewer Improvemnt Act) will see some changes

here's the link

a summary of the major changes:

- All locals from a single dish- in other words a city's locals can't be split between two dishes
- Updates to waiver and testing procedures, including models used to determine unserved areasbetter ways to determine if an area can't get channels OTA
- Start study to determine which digital TV customers will be unserved as of 1/1/2007 I don't really undertsand that part
- Enable DBS to sell "significantly viewed" stations (outside its own DMA) will allow DBC providers to carry lcoals from another city that's can be received OTA, just like cable can, woo hoo, looks like I'll be able to get the Little Rock locals too
- If DBS provides local channels to a sub, they cannot also provide a distant network. that's pretty easy to understand, get a local ABC (ie ABC in Denver) then no longer will be able to get the LA & NY ABC channels
Old 04-28-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you get locals and distant networks, you lose the distants? Bummer. I've really grown used to having three network feeds from which to choose, particularly since my local NBC affiliate regularly "edits for content" that which they deem offensive.

I understand the logic behind it, but I don't like it one bit.

Any idea, if and when it gets inacted (I can't see any reason it wouldn't) when these changes would take effect?
Old 04-28-04, 03:31 PM

if you scroll down that file it says in 6 months, so think late October(early November)
Old 04-28-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: SHVIA (Satellite Home Viewer Improvemnt Act) will see some changes

• Canadian Bacon •

- If DBS provides local channels to a sub, they cannot also provide a distant network. that's pretty easy to understand, get a local ABC (ie ABC in Denver) then no longer will be able to get the LA & NY ABC channels
Woah ... that's ****ed up. "Improvement" Act my ass.

das
Old 04-28-04, 03:41 PM

Re: Re: SHVIA (Satellite Home Viewer Improvemnt Act) will see some changes

Originally posted by das Monkey
Woah ... that's ****ed up. "Improvement" Act my ass.

das
I understand what yopu're saying but I also can understand the change
Old 04-28-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
How about a law forcing DirecTV to put more effing satellites up there for the directionally challenged. Either that or force Sunday Ticket to digital cable. Now there's some real government interference that this libertarian would get behind.
Old 04-28-04, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
How about a law forcing DirecTV to put more effing satellites up there for the directionally challenged. Either that or force Sunday Ticket to digital cable. Now there's some real government interference that this libertarian would get behind.
stop trying to aim the dish to the north

explain why you can't get DirecTV, trees in the way?
Old 04-28-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Canadian Bacon
stop trying to aim the dish to the north

explain why you can't get DirecTV, trees in the way?

No - a building. I need to hit due SW. I can get to WSW before the building gets in the way. The building also blocks me from getting DISH which is SE (and I can get to ESE).
Old 04-28-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
So some people here can get their local channels, and a farther affiliate for the major stations? I don't get the west coast feeds of the major networks. How do you get them?
Old 04-28-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• spainlinx0 •

So some people here can get their local channels, and a farther affiliate for the major stations? I don't get the west coast feeds of the major networks. How do you get them?
I called the local ABC affiliate twice a day for a couple of weeks until they finally gave me a waiver. It wouldn't be a big deal if they'd simply air the national programming when they were supposed to, but because they have their heads firmly planted in each others' asses, they're always preempting national programming for some local bullshit.

While I can see where they think they're coming from, I still think it's crap. I should be able to see two things: my local news, and national prime time programming. In the new and "improved" world, I won't have that luxury anymore. I'll either have to dump my local station altogether (losing local sporting events, local news, etc) or dump the national (losing all the primetime programming these assclowns consistently refuse to show). It's bullshit. If the local affiliate could be depended on to actually show the programming that national advertizes, it wouldn't be a problem. Frankly, if they institute this policy, then local channels should be held accountable for when they lie to their viewers by advertizing something all week that they have no intention of showing. I know it's national advertizing it, but if local refuses to show it, there should be a message at the bottom of the ad reading: "The Atlanta ABC affiliate is run by a bunch of dickwads. Don't expect to actually see this program, because they hate you and your family." I don't ask for much.

das
Old 04-28-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This sucks on so many levels. I DEPEND on having both local and distant (and in some cases a third timezone) feeds. That's how I can watch the wb shows, and the fox shows, and the upn shows, and bbc america, all on the same night even though all shows air at "8" or "9". Distant feeds let me stagger when I watch (i.e. record with DVR) the prime time shows. If they go through with this, they'll effectively keep me from watching several shows a week. Of course, Angel won't be on anymore, so that frees up at least one conflict on Wednesdays - but it would win in a timeslot battle every time, so that's no consolation for me.

I am not happy - not happy at all.
Old 04-28-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
How about a law forcing DirecTV to put more effing satellites up there for the directionally challenged.
It is geostationary. They don't have many options.
Old 04-28-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Jeremy517
It is geostationary. They don't have many options.

I have a LOS to the DISH satellite that has the int'l channels (not that I would be interested in that) so there are certain ranges of geostationary coordinates that I have a LOS to.

Regardless, the exclusivity of Sunday Ticket (as TMQ points out in his column on a weekly basis during football season) sucks balls.
Old 04-28-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm excited about getting Little Rock locals!

Old 04-28-04, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
I called the local ABC affiliate twice a day for a couple of weeks until they finally gave me a waiver. It wouldn't be a big deal if they'd simply air the national programming when they were supposed to, but because they have their heads firmly planted in each others' asses, they're always preempting national programming for some local bullshit.

While I can see where they think they're coming from, I still think it's crap. I should be able to see two things: my local news, and national prime time programming. In the new and "improved" world, I won't have that luxury anymore. I'll either have to dump my local station altogether (losing local sporting events, local news, etc) or dump the national (losing all the primetime programming these assclowns consistently refuse to show). It's bullshit. If the local affiliate could be depended on to actually show the programming that national advertizes, it wouldn't be a problem. Frankly, if they institute this policy, then local channels should be held accountable for when they lie to their viewers by advertizing something all week that they have no intention of showing. I know it's national advertizing it, but if local refuses to show it, there should be a message at the bottom of the ad reading: "The Atlanta ABC affiliate is run by a bunch of dickwads. Don't expect to actually see this program, because they hate you and your family." I don't ask for much.

das

What ABC shows do you actually miss? Typically when WSB pre empts programming for Monica Kauffman or Clark Howard they re air the program late at night. You have a Tivo, so let it record the program that you missed during primetime.

Are you so far from Atlanta that you can't use an antenna to pick up their signal? It is prett y strong to most of the Atlanta area.
Old 04-28-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When do they air Jimmy Kimmel Live?

das