Butchering the Star Trek timeline

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Butchering the Star Trek timeline

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
and sisko knew curzon when he was fresh the academy, which would have been at least a few years prior to TNG's pilot, let alone the trill episode in TNG.
Plus that trill guy had a weird head, not spots. Did they ever clarify if there are 2 huminoid species on the Trill homeworld?
Old 04-28-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
And Guinan admitted to Picard that she knew exactly who Q was talking about in that same episode. Why the El Aurians were so quiet about it, I don't really know. The best explaination is, like milo writes, that the Hansens set out to look for the Borg themselves after hearing the rumours. (And it was established onscreen that they got their ship caught in a Transwarp conduit, following a Borg cube too closely, which is how thwey got sucked into the Delta Quad.)

All this could've been avoided if they had simply made Seven a humanoid of some kind. All the same stuff they later did would have worked (such as it did...)
But in Generations there was a full ship of El Aurians. Someone must have had some idea who they were running from. Someone would have had to intercept some communications. And since this was so close to the federation, why wasn't there any contact with the borg?
Old 04-28-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 383 Posts
IMHO this thread shows what a great show/series ST is. To have so many to watch so close to be able to even debate what is really a small portion of the series (the timeline) is a credit to the series.
Old 04-29-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 702 Posts
Originally posted by Sdallnct
IMHO this thread shows what a great show/series ST WAS. To have so many to watch so close to be able to even debate what is really a small portion of the series (the timeline) is a credit to the series.
Fixed.
Old 04-29-04, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mikehunt
and sisko knew curzon when he was fresh the academy, which would have been at least a few years prior to TNG's pilot, let alone the trill episode in TNG.
Plus that trill guy had a weird head, not spots. Did they ever clarify if there are 2 huminoid species on the Trill homeworld?
That was just one of those "Ignore this" things. The lionface look wasn't too good (as an ongoing design, not the makeup job itself)and when they wanted to have a Trill regular, they dumped it.

There is a tradition, in Marco Palmeiri's excellent DS9 Relaunch and Lost Era book series, that the Trills kept the fact that a few among them had a symbiotic relationship with inserted little stromboli-looking creatures a secret. I'm not sure if that was ever established onscreen, but it would explain Bev's being unfamiliar with the symbiont.

As far as the El Aurians are concerned, weren't they riding along with and essentially in The Nexus? Guinan was inside it and so was Soran (his being ripped out of it is what started his big quest to get inside it again in the first place). Since it travels through space like a comet, I think they rode it from the Delta Quad all the way here. Why they were so close mouthed about it, I'm not really sure.

Not positive about that, but I think that's true.
Old 04-29-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
But El Aurians had been on Earth before, Quinan herself was there in the 1800's. Kind of a long trip from the delta quad.
Old 04-29-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,957 Posts
I've seen footage (on a DS9 "Behind the Scenes" video or something) of Terry Farrell in the original Trill make-up. They changed it to the spots because they didn't like the bumpy forehead look on her.
Old 04-29-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

did the klingon thing ever get explained about the change in looks from TOS to the current klingon look with the weird forehead. I know it was probably a lack of make up budget for the TV series, but I remember that there was an episode in DS9 when worf said that it wasn't talked about.

What about the thing with general chang in ST6? He was a klingon, but he didn't have the make up job that the other klingons had.
Old 04-29-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

having worf comment on it was a mistake in my opinion, as it nullified the easy "there wasn't a budget/make up tech" for it explanation. Especially considering that we saw Kang, Kor and Koloth with and without ridges
Old 04-29-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,432 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Roddenberry's original (half-joking) explanation around the time of ST TMP was that the series were Northern Klingons and the movie was Southern Klingons. Fandom and authors have run with it ever since putting forth theories of plastic surgery (to infiltrate humans), two races of Klingons from the same planet, or multiple races from different star systems that the originals conquered. If you'll notice, even within the "ridged" Klingons there are massive differences. Just compare the lobster heads of the first and third movies with the tortoise shell heads like Worf and Torres.

I prefer the muliple races within conquered star systems theory. The fact they don't talk about it lends to the Orwellian attitude of some Klingons.
Old 04-29-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by al_bundy
What about the thing with general chang in ST6? He was a klingon, but he didn't have the make up job that the other klingons had.
Christopher Plummer wanted a less severe version of the makeup so that it was easier to act in.
Old 04-29-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

having worf comment on it was a mistake in my opinion, as it nullified the easy "there wasn't a budget/make up tech" for it explanation. Especially considering that we saw Kang, Kor and Koloth with and without ridges
I thought it was brilliant they way they handled the Worf comment. They had to acknowledge the difference in the episode (since they were interacting with TOS Klingons), and his gruff "We do not discuss it with outsiders" line is vague enough so that people can continue to have their own theories & explanations.
Old 04-29-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like to think that it was like circumcision or other body modification as seen in "warrior tribes." Maybe it was "correct" to alter yourself a certain way, which is why it differs depending on the era. By the time TNG came around, that was an outdated practice.
Old 04-30-04, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But El Aurians had been on Earth before, Quinan herself was there in the 1800's. Kind of a long trip from the delta quad.
Depends on who's ship you take. Wasn't she the only one, or were there others? I'm not really sure.

El Aurians are the Trek equivalent of Duncan MacLeod and his pals. Extremely long lived, so they have time and leisure to explore the Galaxy.
Old 04-30-04, 09:00 AM

Back to the Borg thing. The events of the movie "First Contact" slightly altered the timeline. In the original timeline there was very little, if anything, known about the Borg. Starfleet may have know a little from what the El Aurians told them, but that's about it. So when Q said that that was the Borg's first encounter with humans we was correct. Then the events of First Contact changed all that. Since the Borg went back to 21st centruy Earth Cocheran & Lilly knew about them. The intelligents people at the time pick up some info also. Then in Enterprises "Regeneration" episode they found the remains of the Borg ship at the North Pole and those Borg were re-animated. Again, humans picked up a lot of info about them. Most of it was probably classified. This could have been one of the things that led to the founding of Section 31. (Hopefully we'll find out). So, since some humans knew a little about the Borg in this slightly new timeline, it is plausable that the Hanson's knew as well. And that led to their fascination with the Borg. And the rest is history.
Old 04-30-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,432 Likes on 1,046 Posts
/\ I kept thinking there was some timetravel thing I was forgetting, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

It does help a little in expaining the "oddities"
Old 05-01-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even if you can make up a good explanation for it, it seriously undermines the earlier episodes just so we can have some chick wear a bodysuit that's too small for her.
Old 05-01-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Upper pylon 3
Back to the Borg thing. The events of the movie "First Contact" slightly altered the timeline. In the original timeline there was very little, if anything, known about the Borg. Starfleet may have know a little from what the El Aurians told them, but that's about it. So when Q said that that was the Borg's first encounter with humans we was correct. Then the events of First Contact changed all that. Since the Borg went back to 21st centruy Earth Cocheran & Lilly knew about them. The intelligents people at the time pick up some info also. Then in Enterprises "Regeneration" episode they found the remains of the Borg ship at the North Pole and those Borg were re-animated. Again, humans picked up a lot of info about them. Most of it was probably classified. This could have been one of the things that led to the founding of Section 31. (Hopefully we'll find out). So, since some humans knew a little about the Borg in this slightly new timeline, it is plausable that the Hanson's knew as well. And that led to their fascination with the Borg. And the rest is history.
this is called a paradox. because if humanity finds out about the borg in the time of enterprise then they can build weapons to defend against them. This will lead to an arms race with the klingons, romulans, cardassians and other species and greatly alter the time line.
Old 05-01-04, 08:30 AM
Banned

I remember an episode like this. An old starship appears to come from nowhere, and the timeline is altered. You see Picard with a phaser belt, and they are at war with the Klingons. The ship that appeared was from the past, a federation starship that tried to help the klingons. Since it dissapeared, the Klingons thought the federation had no honor.

Timelines are interesting. I wish they did more shows about it. One of the best timeline shows was 360 days in hell on Voyager.
Old 05-01-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i liked the voyager episode where they met the dinosaurs
Old 05-01-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,957 Posts
Originally posted by al_bundy
i liked the voyager episode where they met the dinosaurs
...and Paris accidently killed a butterfly.
Old 05-01-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JohnSeminal
I remember an episode like this. An old starship appears to come from nowhere, and the timeline is altered. You see Picard with a phaser belt, and they are at war with the Klingons. The ship that appeared was from the past, a federation starship that tried to help the klingons. Since it dissapeared, the Klingons thought the federation had no honor.

Timelines are interesting. I wish they did more shows about it. One of the best timeline shows was 360 days in hell on Voyager.
[geek/] episode called yesterday's enterprise. Guest stared Denise Crosby in her role as Tasha Yar. [/end geek]