Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battle of the Planets marathon 04/25

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battle of the Planets marathon 04/25

Boomerang is having a 24 hour Battle of the Planets marathon this Sunday, 04/25. It starts 7AM CST.

It doesn't reappear in the schedule until the following Sunday, but at least it's not a one time deal.

Old 04-22-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Great! Except I don't get boomerang

Rhino is supposed to be releasing more epispodes later this year too.
Old 04-23-04, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved this show as a kid. Although I saw it on some channel a year or two ago and the voices were different from what I remembered.
Old 04-23-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by harpoonipa
I loved this show as a kid. Although I saw it on some channel a year or two ago and the voices were different from what I remembered.
Cartoon Network repackaged the show as G-Force. It had different voice actors and none of the 7-Zark-7 bridges. That may of been what you saw.
Old 04-23-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WTF is Boomerang? Is it available on standard DirecTV?
Old 04-23-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rfduncan
WTF is Boomerang? Is it available on standard DirecTV?
Last I heard, it was part of the Total Choice Plus package.

Edit: Yup, part of the Plus package. Extra $3/month for Boomerang, Biography, a bunch of Discovery channels, DIY, Fuel, History International, Nicktoons, PBS Kids, Science Channel, SoapNet, VH1 Classic, and a few more music stations.

Last edited by Chew; 04-23-04 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-23-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chew
Cartoon Network repackaged the show as G-Force. It had different voice actors and none of the 7-Zark-7 bridges. That may of been what you saw.
IIRC, it was repackaged waaay before CN got ahold of it because when i remember watching it as a kid (i'm 29), it was called g-force.
Old 04-23-04, 06:57 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What happened in the last episode of G-force? I kinda of remember Zoltar getting his mask ripped off or something.
Old 04-24-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rock on! I loved Battle of the Planets.
Old 04-25-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
It looks like they'll be running the first 16 episodes 3 times tomorrow & then continuing the series each Sunday.
Old 04-26-04, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kevin75
IIRC, it was repackaged waaay before CN got ahold of it because when i remember watching it as a kid (i'm 29), it was called g-force.
Here's some info from a fansite:

In the mid 1980s, TV networks relegated Battle of the Planets to odd hours of the morning, then finally dispensed with the series altogether. However, once Sandy Frank's syndication license ran out, media mogul Ted Turner saw the potential in this series and G-Force returned to American airwaves... in a slightly different form. In "G-Force, Guardians of Space," five young heroes protect the Earth from the evil alien Computor, his gravel-voiced minion Gallactor, and their legions of green-suited terrorists.

G-Force went on an initial trial run in 1986, but mysteriously disappeared after three episodes. It wasn't until the 1990s that the show made it onto the Cartoon Network and gained its own fan following.
Link

Maybe we're both right?

As for the marathon: already had all the episodes shown on DVD.
Old 04-26-04, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally posted by Fok
What happened in the last episode of G-force? I kinda of remember Zoltar getting his mask ripped off or something.

Yeah wasn't Zoltar a chick? I remember A woman being under the mask.

The series had several incarnations including one where the race car guy(Mark?) was missing. He went crazy or something....
Old 04-26-04, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Yeah wasn't Zoltar a chick? I remember A woman being under the mask.

The series had several incarnations including one where the race car guy(Mark?) was missing. He went crazy or something....
I remember it that way too. It was in one of the last episodes of Battle of the Planets that we find out Zoltar was a woman.

I'm 35 and it was always called Battle of the Planets when I saw it. I forgot Casey Kasem was one of the voices.
Old 04-26-04, 02:01 PM

It was Battle of the Planets for me as well. I remember it was pretty heavy stuff for a kid to watch. I seem to remember Jason's girlfriend getting killed in an episode and it messed him up.

I watched an episode last night and this little boy's father disappeared and the boy kept waiting for him to come back. Zoltar puts on a disguise as the kid's father to steal some secrets and the kid thinks it's his dad, but then Zoltar is defeated and goes away and the kid doesn't understand why his dad is gone again. I forgot a lot of stuff like...

Traaaanns-mute!
Old 04-26-04, 05:22 PM
Wag

It was named Battle of the Planets for me too. And I remember having to wake up at 5:30am on weekdays to watch that. Though I have seen it in other subsequent versions, the mentioned G-Force...and another edit of it called Eagle Riders or something. It always kind of confused me and made me wonder if I had gone crazy.

However, I have all the DVDs currently put out by Rhino and it is interesting to watch the original Japanese version of BotP, Gatchaman. They are in Japanese with English subtitles. And they are all without 7 Zark 7 footage, because all that was added for the American version, Battle of the Planets. Alot of the 7 Zark 7 footage was to make up running time because of edited content, mainly violence, and most of that showing civilians getting killed in large numbers. Apparently they didn't want to show American kids all the innocent civilians getting killed. And some of the language gets a little raw too. In the US version, the voices were all dubbed anyway so no cussing.

On the violence note, an interesting tidbit was that all the Gatchaman episodes happened on earth, so when civilians were getting killed, they were Earthlings. When jets were being shot down, there were Earthlings piloting them.

However, a lot of the eps of BotP supposedly took place on other planets. They would just add the generic clip of the Phoenix flying in space and dubbing the destination into the narration, while still using the original city or ocean, or whatever footage from the original. That way if civilians had to be killed, they were on another planet, aliens not Earthlings. And jet fighters were always "robot piloted" so the fact that hundreds were shot down wouldn't be as "disturbing".

Forgive the rambling, just thought you guys might be interested in that, since as a fan of BotP, I was completely ignorant of its previous life as Gatchaman too, until I did some research into that, and tried to figure out what the hell G-Force and Eagle Riders were.
Old 04-26-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gatchaman was definitely PG-13 stuff.

And Zoltar or Berg Katse was actually a hermaphrodite (don't ask). But the shock of that BOTP 'woman' revelation reverberated around my playground like you wouldn't believe.

What a cool show.
Old 05-03-04, 05:37 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does the DVD set have all the episodes? If its incomplete then I probably won't pick it up.
Old 05-04-04, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Fok
Does the DVD set have all the episodes? If its incomplete then I probably won't pick it up.
The first six discs they released individually with a total of 12 episodes. The 4 disc boxset also has a total of 12. There's at least 60 more to go.