Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tivo with digital cable question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-04, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tivo with digital cable question

How does Tivo work with digital cable? I am interested in buying a tivo, but I was wondering if it works like a VCR (VCR has to be set to channel 3 for, digital cable box has to be set to whatever channel I want to tape). Does the Tivo itself able to change the channels on my digital box or if I am out for the day, can I only tape on the channel that is set to my digital box? Hope I am not being too confusing...thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-15-04, 01:51 PM

The TIVO will change the channel on your digital cable box as needed. Bless its heart.
Old 04-15-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
IR blaster included. Will automatically change the channel on the DC box when TIVO tells it to (which it will do when it is begins recording).
Old 04-15-04, 03:46 PM

Thanks....just wanted to make sure before I ordered one...prices are so good on Tivos right now...
Old 04-15-04, 03:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I took one of these into my local cantina, but the bartender shooed me out. "No blasters! No blasters!"
Old 04-15-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Also. depending on your cable box, you can plug in a serial channel changer that will change you channels on the cable box internally. Its much more effective and accurate. Occasionally, the IR blaster burps and doesnt change the channels properly.
Old 04-15-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bothanspy
.... Occasionally, the IR blaster burps and doesnt change the channels properly.
Tell me about it...I don't know how many times I have had what I though was the show I wanted recorded only to find out TIVO crapped the bed while changing channels.... serial is the way to go...and it "should" work with my Comcast digital cable box, but of course it doesn't...
Old 04-15-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to have that problem; then I switched to serial. My new HD cable box, however, doesn't have an active serial port, so it was back to the blasters. I haven't had any problems since changing the speed from high to medium.
Old 04-16-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where do i get the serial cable to hook up to the TIVO and how do you know if your serial hook up is active on the digital box
Old 04-16-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Your Tivo will come with a serial connector along with an IR blaster. A bunch of the Comcast boxes have serial inputs on them. As of late, some of them are being disabled because Comcast is putting out their own DVR service and knows that people use the serial port for TIVO. If you head to tivocommunity.com you will find out all you ever wanted to know in the forums. I believe they have a list of all the compatable cable boxes.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally posted by bothanspy
Your Tivo will come with a serial connector along with an IR blaster. A bunch of the Comcast boxes have serial inputs on them. As of late, some of them are being disabled because Comcast is putting out their own DVR service and knows that people use the serial port for TIVO. If you head to tivocommunity.com you will find out all you ever wanted to know in the forums. I believe they have a list of all the compatable cable boxes.

Good luck.

I can't use the serial port with my Comcast (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100) cable box for my Replay-TV.
Old 04-16-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know about that specific box, but the above link will be able to help you out. I know that at one point, you caould take your box back to a local comcast office and exchange it for onw with a working serial port, but I dont believe they will do this anymore due to their new DR system coming out. I got lucky with the box that I got.

Check out tivocommunity and then check out your local comast office and see if you can schmooze it outta them.

SPY
Old 04-16-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cheddarmuff
Tell me about it...I don't know how many times I have had what I though was the show I wanted recorded only to find out TIVO crapped the bed while changing channels.... serial is the way to go...and it "should" work with my Comcast digital cable box, but of course it doesn't...
For those having IR burps, have you tried the codes recommended on tivocommunity for your specific cable box? If so what about a tent?

I have two Tivos hooked up to two cable boxes and no burps in three years.