Smallville's Back Tonite! -- "Legacy" 04.14.2004

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's hope it gets its act together...
Spoiler:
Legacy

Christopher Reeve, whose lead role in four Superman movies in the 1970s and '80s established his image as the quintessential Man of Steel, returns.

Reeve once again plays Dr. Virgil Swann, a reclusive scientist interested in Clark's alien heritage. When last seen, Swann offered the Teen of Steel sage advice about self-discovery. This time, he makes a deal with cancer-stricken Lionel Luthor, who believes Swann's Kryptonian knowledge will help cure him. Reeve may not be portraying a superhero here, but his character may prove to be a lifesaver nonetheless.
Old 04-14-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Christopher Reeve's there. That's all I need to know.
Old 04-14-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Almost forgot about this. Thanks!
Old 04-14-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I never saw the first Christopher Reeve episode, so i hope i'm not too lost tonight. I'm so glad its back!

Old 04-14-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
It's been so long. I'll have to look at the episode guide of the previous episode to remember what happened.
Old 04-14-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the reminder, I forgot about tonights show.
Old 04-14-04, 08:00 PM

Man. This episode was kinda hard to follow. The 6 week hiatus certainly didn't help either. They showed Lex talking to the FBI and it took me a while to remeber that whole subplot.
Old 04-14-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This episode is proof this season has gone to hell. They are completely dragging out the whole Jor-El/caves storyline. Thats a problem since the storyline is uninteresting. Can this even be called Superman anymore? What the hell is all this Jor-El nonsense? Johnathan made a deal with him? JOR-EL DIED ON FRIGGIN' KRYPTON! The Lana and Clark romance needs to go away... fast. We've already suffered through 3 seasons of Kristen's horrible acting. All the Lional and Lex bickering is tiresome. Is Pete alive? Chloe? Was Clark on spring break this episode? If so, then why the hell does everyone dress like its winter? Look at the end with Lana wear that extremely heavy pink coat with the scarf. Clark and his father always wearing jackets. WTF.
Old 04-14-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was more furious with how the fake FBI agents just ransacked the Kents place. Stuff like that just irks me.

I don't remember Lana/Kirsten crying so much in one episode.

Lionel's hair continues to gross me out.

The episode seemed to be shot over the course of 2-3 weeks because Clark's hair was newly cut in some scenes, and longer in other scenes.

Didn't really like the Swann scenes either (between Lionel or Clark). It just felt like filler.

Overall, neutral to not-so-hot episode for me.
Old 04-14-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
So, let's see if I have this right....

When Clark used the key last year on the ship, Jor-El appeared and came off like a bad guy, puts somebug into Pa kent, plus said Clark was here to conquer. All bad shit all around.

But....

That was a false key all along?????

Swann has the REAL (Jor-El is a good guy) key??
Old 04-14-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

Here I was hoping this show would come back strong..

From the start it was annoying. If I was Jonathan and had Martha bugging me like she was in the beginning, I would've jumped off the damn roof. When Clark started deep throating Lana, I thought we were actually going to have some forward momentum [silly me]. Then at the :50 minute mark - cue the music - Lana pulls up, rambles something about "waiting for Clark to come around" [I guess she's forgotten all about Adam/Bruce/whateverthehellhisnamewas..?] and says it'll never work and leaves.

Blah.

I have to say though, I did enjoy seeing Christopher Reeve again. But, not as much as his previous appearance.
Old 04-14-04, 10:56 PM

I think it was the real key all along, but somehow when it disappeared tonight it ended up in Swann's hands. Nothing i've seen makes me suspect a fake-key.

-Pro: More Christopher Reeve Possible. Maybe even in a main way.
-Con: The Plot made no sense! Tell the people!

After defending the show all season, saying it was getting better, i think it took a real stumble tonight. They better ramp it up for the end of the season.

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 04-14-04 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-14-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I enjoyed the episode and how it tried to move the story along, but they tried to shove too much into an hour. I'm confused at just what the heck is going on, but hopefully its explained in the remaining episodes.
Old 04-14-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope next week's epsiode is better.
Old 04-14-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I called them fake FBI agents. I just hate it when people trash people's places when they didn't deserve the treatment.

Doesn't Clark know what death is like everytime he's in contact with or near kryptonite? Hello, McBo!
Old 04-14-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
I think it was the real key all along, but somehow when it disappeared tonight it ended up in Swann's hands. Nothing i've seen makes me suspect a fake-key.
If the key that disappear into the wall is the same key that Swann has at the end of the show, then they need to explain how Swann get the key. Does he have some supernatual power that we don't know?
Old 04-14-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dunno what to think about this episode...but for some reason it seemed Christopher Reeve wasn't used as good as he was last season.
Old 04-15-04, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by mookiemeister
If the key that disappear into the wall is the same key that Swann has at the end of the show, then they need to explain how Swann get the key. Does he have some supernatual power that we don't know?
The last line Pa Kent had in the episode was "It isn't in the wall" then they show Swann with the Key.
Old 04-15-04, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kal-El
I dunno what to think about this episode...but for some reason it seemed Christopher Reeve wasn't used as good as he was last season.
He was certainly better than the rest of the episode.

I had high hopes this would be a classic, but it just strung out the key storyline even more than I care to hear about anymore.
Old 04-15-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Horrible episode. Why does everyone turn on a dime on Smallville? Lex's wife, the Batman wannabe, now poor Christopher Reeve. And I have no idea what is going on with that key.

I wish this show was about any superhero other than Superman so I could stop watching it.
Old 04-15-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Swann was more benevolent last season, last night, he started looking a little more manical in his own quest for these Kryptonian artifacts. Hopefully, how this all plays out won't have me reaching for a TV brick to throw at the TV.

Last edited by Patman; 04-15-04 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-15-04, 09:31 AM

It was nice to have a new episode again, but it was pretty confusing.

Speculation (don't know if this needs to be spoiler-ized or not, so I'll do it anyway):
Spoiler:
I think Dr. Swann and Jor-El are definitely connected in some type of way that hasn't been revealed, yet. Hell, he might even *be* Jor-El. He seemed mighty pissed at Clark with respect to the barn explosion and his misadventures in Metropolis. The manner in which he was speaking to him was like a father voicing his disapproval to a child.
Old 04-15-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm confused about something, but I haven't watched the show for awhile so maybe that's why.

Doesn't Lionel now definitely know Johnathon had the key? It seems pretty obvious. It just seemed like this episode glossed over that point. I expected to see from Lionel a smug, knowing smile as he realized the Kents are keeping a rather "SUPER" secret! (Of course, Clark's strange, defensive behavior in the cave, or his father showing up armed and dangerous, would have tipped me off as well.)
Old 04-15-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
At this rate, everyone in the world will know that there is something 'different' about Clark Kent by the time he graduates high school.
Old 04-15-04, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by Red Dog
At this rate, everyone in the world will know that there is something 'different' about Clark Kent by the time he graduates high school.
All he has to do is run around at super-speed, kiss everyone, and all suspicions that people had about him will disappear. Problem solved!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.