Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - Wed 4/14/04 - "Movie Music" (Guest Judge: Quentin Tarantino)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who did best on Movie Night?
(REMINDER: Vote for who you thought did WELL) Fantasia Barrino
45.95%
Diana DeGarmo
5.41%
Jennifer Hudson
21.62%
George Huff
9.46%
John Peter Lewis
5.41%
LaToya London
39.19%
John Stevens
13.51%
Jasmine Trias
12.16%
twikoff (who did an amazing "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" )
5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol - Wed 4/14/04 - "Movie Music" (Guest Judge: Quentin Tarantino)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gettinbranded
Fantasia

Randy said it's was the best idol performance ever in any season
(I expect this board to hate it because...they hate Fantasia)

Paula agrees
Quentin agrees
Simon agrees --- calls it magical

1 866 idols 5
Do you agree? That it was the best idol performance ever in any season? This is the first season I've watched this show so I really can't say, but she sounded good.
Old 04-14-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh lord here comes Red...
Old 04-14-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, is it a prerequisite that every person's favorite movie is a cartoon?

Geez, someone at least say that their favorite movie is one of the classics like Harold and Maude or The Karate Kid!
Old 04-14-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts
Arghh...now we know why Rick never wanted that song played again...because he heard John Stevens sing it!
Old 04-14-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Arghh...now we know why Rick never wanted that song played again...because he heard John Stevens sing it!

It's true! There are only two people on this show that don't suck.
Old 04-14-04, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LaToya is awesome...and I hate the song...
Old 04-14-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not LaToya's best performance (or song choice imo), but I still contend she is the best one on the stage.
Old 04-14-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Argh, I came home late and missed the first three. Can someone summarize what QT said about George, Jennifer and JPL? QT was awesome tonight from what I saw because he was honest.
Old 04-14-04, 08:02 PM

did anyone else notice the audience hottie over simon's shoulder?
I kept looking forward to seeing his evaluation so I could get a look at her, damn.
Old 04-14-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I forget the first two (positive comments for both) but QT said something to the effect that JPL was a geek, but he was a super-geek, so that's ok. It may have been a compliment, but I'm not sure.
Old 04-14-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

LaToya London is going to win American Idol.
Old 04-14-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts
Just saw Fantasia's.. that was definitly one of the best performances I've seen on the show.
Old 04-14-04, 08:31 PM

Received 814 Likes on 530 Posts
Fantasia... she would make a great Camp Chaos character!

No one in my eyes stood out tonight. A few people leveled the playing field... but no stand outs.

"If I can be completely honest..." Simaon said that too many times tonight.

By the way, I voted for everyone... even twikoff!
Old 04-14-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have never voted nor posted in the AI thread (although I am an avid AI thread lurker each week). However, this week I will call in and vote for George because I feel he has been the most consistant and one of the most if not the most talented performers in the competition. I urge you to do the same if you agree.

Even tonight he was not bad but like Latoya proved a couple of weeks ago, even a single so-so performance can land you in the bottom three (unless you look like Opie's younger brother or have epilepsy).

What would really be a shame is if George gets voted off for one of his worst performances when it was better than many of the remaining hacks best (JPL, Teen Martin, DeGarmo, etc.)
Old 04-14-04, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by moocher
I have never voted nor posted in the AI thread (although I am an avid AI thread lurker each week). However, this week I will call in and vote for George because I feel he has been the most consistant and one of the most if not the most talented performers in the competition. I urge you to do the same if you agree.
I just dialed George's number 8 times and got through each time. I'll keep doing it until The Bachelor is over and L&O starts.
Old 04-14-04, 08:58 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
George Huff: B-
Not his best, but I wasn't as down on it as the judges were.

Jennifer Hudson: C-
Her voice is like nails on the chalkboard. She's not bad in the choruses, but that ultra deep inflection she puts into the verses just makes me want to kick a puppy.

John Peter Lewis: C-
Entertaining in a train wreck sort of way, but not very good.

Diana DeGarmo: C
Actually, I'd give her a B+ for her performance, but an F for her song choice. Possibly the most obvious and uncreative song pick in an Idol competition yet.

Fantasia Barrino: A
Phenomenal. I'm not sure if its the best performance ever on Idol, but it's possibly the best so far this season.

Jasmine Trias: B-
Not bat, but nothing special. Kind of how she is every week, I suppose.

John Stevens: B
He's very limited, but he was in his niche tonight. I liked it.

LaToya London: B+
Great job. The song was a bit boring, but she's the best power singer in the group, and has the best range of voice.
Old 04-14-04, 09:02 PM

20 more for George... is it always this easy to get through?
Old 04-14-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How come none of the judges point out that JPL just shouts his songs? He never seems to sing.

I love George but I was disappointed with him tonight. He rushed through that song. So he is a "friend of Dorothy." He should have done something from "The Wiz" instead.

I laughed at Simon rolling his eyes about Neil Sedaka.

I agree completely with Simon about his assessment of Diana and Jasmine. I had to laugh at Quentin Tarantino dissing Diana. Usually guest judges aren't that negative.
Old 04-14-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For some F-ing reason, my ReplayTV didn't record tonight's show, even though it should have since I have it record American Idol for Tuesday and Wednesday. Grr...

I did happen to catch Fantasia's performance, and the first part of Red's performance before switching back to Smallville in HD.
Old 04-14-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• gettinbranded •

Randy said it's was the best idol performance ever in any season
(I expect this board to hate it because...they hate Fantasia)
More predictable than Paula ... more condescending than Simon.

Anyway, fantastic episode, not so much for the performances but for the way it really separated the pack. La Toya was brilliant, but she was edged out by Fantasia tonight. I'm not sure if it's the best performance ever, as Tamyra, Kelly, and Clay each had a stellar night, but it's damn close, and easily the best performance this season. Interestingly enough, La Toya's performance may have been the second best. I like what Randy said about her, that she's finally trying to win the competition. These two stepped their games up to another level this week and left everyone in their dust.

Jennifer was the best she's ever been, and I'd put her third, but she's weak with low notes and soft notes, and downright terrible when the two are combined. Powerful voice, very good performance after the shaky start, but she's just getting outclassed by the other two ladies.

John Stevens was perfect. He really has no business being here, but it was great to get to hear him in his element one more time before he's booted off the show.

Same with JPL. He really connected with the audience, even if it was somewhat terrible. I'd much rather watch/listen to that than what Diana and Jasmine are doing.

George was in bad shape. Although he won't get voted off tonight, if he did, it would be hard to blame anyone. He was flat the whole song, both tonally and emotionally. His worst performance yet.

Jamine and Diana predictaby go after obvious choices with no prayer of sounding near as good as the popular versions. Jasmine is so cute, and I like her voice, but she was all over the place. Diana was also all over the place. Their youth showed in these performance, and I cringed during each. Don't sing something Celine has made famous unless you really know what you're doing.

das
Old 04-14-04, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by moocher

Even tonight he was not bad but like Latoya proved a couple of weeks ago, even a single so-so performance can land you in the bottom three (unless you look like Opie's younger brother or have epilepsy).

What would really be a shame is if George gets voted off for one of his worst performances when it was better than many of the remaining hacks best (JPL, Teen Martin, DeGarmo, etc.)
Sorry to qoute you, but I'm having trouble posting.

George might be consistent, but he was NOT on top tonite.

Lots of good performances tonite, I actually think George and Diana G. were the worst.

I hate to say this, but Fantasia was awesome tonite.

I guess that what makes this show interesting- because your opinion can change week to week, depending on the performance.

Quentin T. = best guest judge EVER, I loved his comments.

Based on performances, the worst were George and Diana (and I'm surprised myself)
Old 04-14-04, 10:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jadzia
[B]How come none of the judges point out that JPL just shouts his songs? He never seems to sing.

I disagree, he doesn't shout, he just has a geek rock and roll voice, which, to be honest, no one else in this competition has.
Old 04-14-04, 10:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
For the first time, Fantasia delivered my favorite performance of the night. I was hoping it would be followed up by John S. doing "Bess, You Is My Woman Now" but no luck. QT should have told her to "Get in the trunk."

I liked George's performance. It wasn't his best, but it demonstrated some range. He would have Huffowned if he actually did a song from The Wiz.

This was my favorite JPL performance, which isn't saying much but at least he's earned another week on the show.

Diana is like Draco in Rocky IV. She's been training all her life for this, and can hit the right marks and the right notes...but there's no heart, no soul to anything she does.

QT is most definitely the best Guest Judge they've ever had. At first I was worried, but he did give some honest, helpful critiques. I hope his appearence helps out his film.
Old 04-14-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know what it is about this season, but it's just not connecting for me. I haven't gotten goosebumps from any performance this year, like I did with Tamyra a few times in the first season and with Kelly many many times. Maybe it's just because Kelly makes my pee pee tingle. Who knows.
Old 04-14-04, 10:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

QT is a great guest judge. Funny and keeps things interesting. Even my mom who would probably hate all of QT's films yelled out between laughs "hahaha this guy is the best judge out of all of them"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.