Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Victoria's Secret Fashion Show: Yet another Janet fallout.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-04, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4710955/

Victoria’s Secret to drop TV fashion show

Janet Jackson Super Bowl dust-up cited as a reason

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Victoria’s Secret is dropping its nationally televised fashion show this year, at least partly because of criticism following Janet Jackson’s breast-baring faux pas at the Super Bowl.

Ed Razek, chief creative officer for the Columbus-based lingerie chain, said Saturday the main reason for the decision was so the company can look at new ways to promote the brand.

Still, he said, “We had to make the decision probably six to eight weeks ago when the heat was on the television networks.”

The announcement came less than three months after the Jackson uproar and a week after federal regulators proposed $495,000 in fines against Clear Channel Communications for sexual material on the Howard Stern show.

Past criticism
The televised fashion show has generated criticism in the past from groups complaining about supermodels strutting down the runway in skimpy underwear.

A message left Saturday at the New York office of CBS, which has televised the show the past two years, was not immediately returned.

Olga Vives, vice president of the National Organization for Women, praised the cancellation, saying the show only objectifies women.

“We’re concerned young women think they have to look this way,” Vives said, adding she hoped the cancellation is permanent.

“There are many other ways to promote their product.”

The fashion show, which aired in November the last two years, was televised on ABC in 2001. The first show was broadcast online in 1999; 1.5 million visitors tried to log on at once, bringing the site down within 20 minutes.

Victoria’s Secret has $4 billion in annual sales.
Old 04-11-04, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So instead of supermodels in sexy underwear we get this....

Old 04-11-04, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The terrorist have won.
Old 04-11-04, 06:19 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
u are friggin kidding me !

janet needs to be shot !
Old 04-11-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Original Desmond
u are friggin kidding me !

janet needs to be shot !
That is too humane. Drop her off in Iraq and let her flash her tits over there, see how well it goes over.

Side note. She can take Timberlake and her child molesting brother with her.

better idea. How about instead, letting people air what they want. If a fine is handed out, mail it to Janet instead.
Old 04-11-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn!
Old 04-11-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
The Madness continues.......
Old 04-11-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The world has officially gone to shit.
Old 04-11-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn you Janet!
Old 04-11-04, 02:12 PM
Banned

See even after all the complaints the other V.S. telecasts recieved there wasn't the uproar as the Super Bowl half-time show because households knew what the shows were about.
They weren't about to sit grandma with the kids to watch Victoria Secert.
So when households sit to watch a NFL Super Bowl half-time show they don't expect or want to see cheerleaders thrusting like they want to have sex, a rapper grabbing his crotch, words in the songs of a sexual nature and the naked breast at the end of the performance. And that's why there was the uproar, but the liberals will try and spin this into a naked breast upset conservative America.
Look I watch THE SHIELD and don't have a problem with, because it's a cable. But free t.v. should not have nudity unless it's on PBS and it's of a educational level.
Old 04-11-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe they should sell copies of the show on DVD for about $5 from their website. They could even get supermodels to provide commentary. That'd be worth a .
Old 04-11-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Dear CBS and Clearchannel,

I am a responsible parent of six kids. I like to drink a box of wine and fall asleep on the couch in the afternoon after work. While I'm asleep, I can't monitor what my kids watch on the babysitter... er... television. When you play shows that contain exposed breasts and beautiful fit women in scant clothing, my children are going to see it and no doubt get the wrong ideas. I am shocked and appauled that you would allow such a corruption of my children.

My husband was watching the superbowl and I was there nursing my youngest and having a smoke and enjoying my usual box of wine. Then the halftime show came on and that Justin Timberlake boy exposed Janet Jackson's breast. My baby saw it and spit up on my chest. My two oldest boys also saw it and although they didn't say anything and acted as if they didn't notice, I'm certain they were traumatized so I now have to send them to therapy and double up on their church visits. I made my husband change the channel to COPS, but the damage was already done.

Since that is one of the few times I've ever been around my kids and conscious long enough to monitor what they see on TV, I'm can only imagine the filth they see on a regular basis when I leave them alone with the tv. You should be ashamed of yourselves. You should take responsibility and only put on programs like COPS or The Bachelor or Who Wants to be a Millionare or American Idol or Survivor... quality programming like that. Children don't want to see breasts and I certainly don't want them to see any until they are married.

Sincerely,

Estelle Guthrye
Utah
Old 04-11-04, 03:55 PM

If the network execs can't tell the difference between completely inappropriate nudity while families watched the Super bowl, and a lingirie show aimed at adults shown in late prime-time, they are a bunch of idiots.

[OT rant] I also love how NOW is against women being "objectified," but they are completely in favor of babies being murdered. [/OT rant]
Old 04-11-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm in favor of both murdered babies and objectified women.
Old 04-11-04, 06:53 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Nice pun.
Old 04-11-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sometimes I hate this f'ing country.
Old 04-12-04, 02:45 AM

1. You guys suck for claiming JAnet did it alone. I'm sure Timberlake was an innocent white boy.

2. That show sucked anyway.

3. Bob Dylan rocks!

4. Get a life

5. Oh no I didn't!

Later
Old 04-12-04, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not saying Justin isn't at fault, but it was Janet's boob and it was her clothes than "malfunctioned." I'm sure Justin went along to get some pub after his ex-GF did "The Kiss."
Old 04-12-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Blame the FCC and the irate politicians who think the people of this country should be treated like children and protected from making their own decisions on what to see and hear even though we now have ratings, parental advisories and V-Chips up the wazoo.
Old 04-12-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, it is Janet Jackson's fault that everyone is overreacting.
Old 04-12-04, 12:37 PM

Stupid Janet and Justin
Old 04-12-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by wm lopez
See even after all the complaints the other V.S. telecasts recieved there wasn't the uproar as the Super Bowl half-time show because households knew what the shows were about.
They weren't about to sit grandma with the kids to watch Victoria Secert.
So when households sit to watch a NFL Super Bowl half-time show they don't expect or want to see cheerleaders thrusting like they want to have sex, a rapper grabbing his crotch, words in the songs of a sexual nature and the naked breast at the end of the performance. And that's why there was the uproar, but the liberals will try and spin this into a naked breast upset conservative America.
Look I watch THE SHIELD and don't have a problem with, because it's a cable. But free t.v. should not have nudity unless it's on PBS and it's of a educational level.
The performers that were scheduled don't exactly put out albums with good Christian values. All the artists have talked about sex or nudity frequently on their albums, so to think there wasn't going to be some half-naked people on the tv seems a bit naitve to me.

Frankly, I never would have even known about the breast since I fell asleep during that lip-synching borefest, but thankfully the media was somehow able to replay that clip 400 billion times over the course of a week to make sure that the people who missed it could make sure to be offended later.
Old 04-12-04, 07:59 PM

You know if you don't like it you can do something about it.

We own the airwaves. We the people. The FCC works for us.

We could be vocal about what we want-- stomp on Bush's Christan right wing-- let em' know we won't be distracted by the gov. using "The boooub" as a scapegoat (it only got so bad because the FCC wasn't doing thier job for the past ten years).

Fight the power.

Rage biotch!!
Old 04-12-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am glad all this is happening, Public TV was going way to far, it was time to bring it back a little.

If Janet's action were not delt with, then the next person would have had to "top" her actions. Who nows what that would have been.

Sometimes you have to say enough is enough.
Old 04-12-04, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by B.A.
The world has officially gone to shit.
A sure sign of the apocalypse is the cancellation of the Victoria's Secret fashion show...yeah right. Some of you need to get out more.

Brett

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.