Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Swan - 04.07.04 (You Know You Watched It)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Swan - 04.07.04 (You Know You Watched It)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO the biggest problem with this show is the fact that they perform all of this surgery when the women are at their lowest and most vulnerable. I have no problem with extreme makeover, which in most instances fixes huge problems like a cleft palate, missing teeth, etc. Granted they add on a bunch of unnecessary stuff like chin implants and lipo and brazilian butt lifts, but at least the people seem fairly stable. Stable enough to make the decision to have surgery with their eyes open. Of course, just as an earlier poster said, getting a stylist and going to the gym with a good personal trainer could fix most of their body issues without surgery.

But with the swan - ugh. Beauty contest was added purely for the sake of being different from extreme makeover, and all it does is add to the pressure and further reduce the self esteem of the person not picked to move on. Not seeing yourself in a mirror for three months - that's just cruel. And no way to motivate someone who might stick to the exercise and diet better if she could really see the results.

I am a realist, so I understand that outward beauty is a huge factor in self-esteem in a society like this one, especially if you have been emotionally abused your whole life. But what shocks me to no end is that people go for the "quick fix" and try to fix the outside so drastically without fixing the inside first. IMO, if you had a condition like a mouth devoid of teeth (or have those pointy vampire teeth like on em) it makes sense to get that fixed first, but outside of having such a drastic starting place, there is no healthy reason to go under the knife while emotionally unstable. Every option should be explored and faithfully tried before considering surgery to lose a few pounds or lose baby fat in your cheeks.

That woman who was married to an absolute jerk should have realized that her father and husband are toxic for her. And my guess is her husband was cheating on her while she was gone - but even if he didn't, that lack of emotional connection and support is the deathknell for a marriage.

These women were just very unhappy and had no self esteem. They didn't need surgery, just therapy and a trainer.

I hate to admit I even watched it, but there is such a lack of good tv these days that I just didn't bother to change the channel after AI. Won't be watching it again, no matter how bored I am. I feel so incredibly sad for these women, and for society in general. We're not much more evolved than the romans watching the gladiator fights. They were probably bored too, and felt like they just couldn't turn away from the horror - it's the train wreck mentality.
Old 04-08-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
But at what cost. Not to mention that the show's basic meaning is very sick.

I didn't mean to imply anything other than what I said. Some suggested they looked "hideous" after the surgery. My comment was just in disagreement with that assessment.

I think the premise of the show is pretty sickening, but I was still drawn in to at least see the "final results."
Old 04-08-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't watch the show and probably never will but I did go to the website posted above and checked the results. I was astonished - particularly at the blond. That doesn't even look like the same person. Whoever says these women look worse after the makeover should get some glasses.

I don't know about the morality of this show or anything but I have no doubt that the makeover will only replace their old problems with new ones - just like winning the lottery or acheiving "fame" does for some people. Some can handle it fine but those that start out with major problems, like these women apparently have, usually can't.
Old 04-08-04, 05:16 PM

I'm just pissed The OC was missed for this!
Old 04-08-04, 05:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by moocher
I didn't watch the show and probably never will but I did go to the website posted above and checked the results. I was astonished - particularly at the blond. That doesn't even look like the same person. Whoever says these women look worse after the makeover should get some glasses.
Maybe you should heed your own advice. I stumbled onto this program flipping through channels and caught the tail-end. I thought it was the Miss America Peageant or something. When I saw both their faces the very first thought that came to my head was Bruce Campbell's Surgeon General of Beverly Hills scene in Escape from L.A.

They both have that fake-looking plasticity to their faces, the blonde even seems to have problems smiling at points.

This show is evil, not even watchable on a so-bad-it's-hilarious level. It's just depressing and I feel sorry for every one of these troubled and ruined people. If this show is a hit I will seriously weep for this increasingly sickening country.
Old 04-08-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
They both have that fake-looking plasticity to their faces, the blonde even seems to have problems smiling at points.

I don't see what you see. I doubt I'd know either of them had plastic surgery if I wasn't told.
Old 04-08-04, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DodgingCars
I don't see what you see. I doubt I'd know either of them had plastic surgery if I wasn't told.
Well then I guess I'm just more observant or I've seen the results of plastic surgery more often. It's hard to pinpoint exact specific qualities....but just look at stars before then after they get work done, ie. Cher, Jenna Jameson, Melanie Griffith, Pamela Anderson, Joan Rivers, Sophia Loren. They look like they can barely move any of their facial muscles anymore. Jameson and Rivers now look almost Asian. Cher can barely smile anymore, which kinda looks to be the case with that blonde Kelly A on Swan. At the end there are moments where she looked like she was doing her best to smile through a plastic mask. She now looks like just another dumb cheap whore with too much work done. Very sad, really.

Last edited by Rivero; 04-08-04 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-08-04, 07:08 PM

The blonde's face after the surgery looked strange, like she could hardly move it. I kept picturing the faces of the doctors and nurses in that Twilight Zone episode "Eye of the Beholder". Her face wasn't quite that plastic, but very close.
Old 04-08-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rivero
Maybe you should heed your own advice. I stumbled onto this program flipping through channels and caught the tail-end. I thought it was the Miss America Peageant or something. When I saw both their faces the very first thought that came to my head was Bruce Campbell's Surgeon General of Beverly Hills scene in Escape from L.A.

Maybe you should read my post. I said I did not watch the show, I am judging by the pics on the website. Go to the site, look at the pics and then if you still think the "before" pic looks better, then I still advise glasses.

If your point is that I shouldn't advise glasses unless I saw them on the show, then point well taken. They must look different on TV and in motion. Just by the pics, there is no comparison - especially the blond.
Old 04-08-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
IMO the biggest problem with this show is the fact that they perform all of this surgery when the women are at their lowest and most vulnerable. I have no problem with extreme makeover, which in most instances fixes huge problems like a cleft palate, missing teeth, etc. Granted they add on a bunch of unnecessary stuff like chin implants and lipo and brazilian butt lifts, but at least the people seem fairly stable. Stable enough to make the decision to have surgery with their eyes open. Of course, just as an earlier poster said, getting a stylist and going to the gym with a good personal trainer could fix most of their body issues without surgery.

But with the swan - ugh. Beauty contest was added purely for the sake of being different from extreme makeover, and all it does is add to the pressure and further reduce the self esteem of the person not picked to move on. Not seeing yourself in a mirror for three months - that's just cruel. And no way to motivate someone who might stick to the exercise and diet better if she could really see the results.
Totally agree with this.

I think the show would be better if instead of the beauty contest, they first had the two girls compete to win the makeover/surgery. Put them on their diet/exercise regime and the person who sticks with it the best earns the rest of the makeover.

Extreme Makeover did a two-part episode recently where the people had to all lose 30 pounds before they could have surgery. They did not compete against each other, but I thought it was one of the most interesting episodes of that show. One woman lost like 8 dress sizes while another one only barely qualified.

I think that would be more interesting, if the competition made them earn it while improving themselves in the process. The whole beauty contest thing just seems shallow.
Old 04-08-04, 08:43 PM

I found the plastic surgeons to be the most disturbing part of the show. I think the doctors on "Extreme Makeover" (like Dr. Garth Fisher) seem genuinely intetrested in the patients, but these clowns didn't really seem to care very much about the women themselves. It was like they were more interested in finding out how much of a "project" each woman would be for them. Comments like "she's gonna need a lot of work" (I can't remember exactly what they said, but it was along those lines when they were viewing the contestant's tapes at the beginning of the show).

And as much as I didn't like whiny Kelly (the blonde), I did feel bad for her when her doctor come by to see her after her surgery and it seemed like he was ANNOYED with her for being in pain and being depressed!!! When he adjusted her facial bandage for her, it seemed like he was put out by it. sheesh. Have some compassion, buddy.

Last edited by chandler_smythe; 04-08-04 at 08:45 PM.