Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - 4/6/04 - "The Music of Sir Elton John"

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who did well today? (choose as many as you like before submitting)
(REMINDER: Vote for who you thought did WELL) Fantasia Barrino
12.50%
Diana DeGarmo
11.25%
Jennifer Hudson
37.50%
George Huff
61.25%
John Peter Lewis
2.50%
LaToya London
47.50%
John Stevens
6.25%
Jasmine Trias
13.75%
Camile Velasco
6.25%
twikoff (the looks of JPL, the voice of Camile)
3.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol - 4/6/04 - "The Music of Sir Elton John"

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Julia -- definitely in the 90% percentile on the pee-in-her-butt-able scale.
Old 04-08-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Red - Never underestimate the "redial"-pounding capabilities of teenage girls.
Old 04-08-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey, is it true that Quentin Tarantino is the guest judge next week (movie-themed songs)?
Old 04-08-04, 11:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Hey, is it true that Quentin Tarantino is the guest judge next week (movie-themed songs)?
That would be extremely cool if true. I know he turned up in the studio audience last year, and he does have a film to promote...so who knows?
Old 04-08-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
I could see Red doing "You Deserve a Break Today" (the Burger King theme), which was written by Manilow.

Sung like Dean Martin:

Hold the pickles
Hold the lettuce
Special service won't upset us....
HA! If ya did this by accident, I don't mean to pick. Sorry. But if it was on purpose it's pretty funny!

U deserve a break today, so get up and get away... At MCDONALDS!

Special orders won't upset us, all we ask is that you let us serve it your way. Have it your way, (have it your way)at BURGER KING.

(I think the first one is the Manilow Song..maybe both..who knows.)

Go George!
Old 04-08-04, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by djones6746
I thought she still looked damn good in the face but it looks like she has put on some serious weight from the stomach down.
Whats the website?
Old 04-08-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Patman
According to Entertainment Tonight last night, it's true. His comments ought to be amusing!
Old 04-08-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by rkndkn
According to Entertainment Tonight last night, it's true. His comments ought to be amusing!
Until he babbles on and on about himself.
Old 04-08-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally posted by BassDude
HA! If ya did this by accident, I don't mean to pick. Sorry. But if it was on purpose it's pretty funny!

U deserve a break today, so get up and get away... At MCDONALDS!

Special orders won't upset us, all we ask is that you let us serve it your way. Have it your way, (have it your way)at BURGER KING.

(I think the first one is the Manilow Song..maybe both..who knows.)

Go George!
My bad.

Yeah, it was the McDonald's song, not the Burger King song that Manilow wrote. I got a bout of the confusions there.

He also wrote a Kentucky Fried Chicken jingle and one for a toilet bowl cleaner.

A man of endless talent!

BTW..I agree. Go George!!

Last edited by TheAllPurposeNothing; 04-08-04 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-08-04, 05:38 PM

Enlighten us!

I've never thought of myself as particularly naive, but I did not notice any 'oral sex' reference when Simon sat in Paula's seat. I even just went and rewatched it (several times) and all he did was duck his head lower until he was her height. I'm curious what he did that could be viewed that way.

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
And I'm sure that's what Simon will say if asked about it...like I said in my post, not many people will "get" it (FOX certainly didn't)...but Randy Jackson sure did - and so did a few viewers, including myself.
Old 04-08-04, 06:56 PM

Paula said on Entertainment Tonight to expect some of the songs to be from West Side Story, Grease, and Flashdance. I can see the girls doing ones like "Hopelessly Devoted to You" and "What a Feeling". But please, for the love of everyone's eardrums, don't let Red or JPL anywhere near "Summer Nights". Neither one of them could hit that high end note. If LaToya still had the cat-do, she could do "Beauty School Dropout".

As far as songs from other movies go, as long as no one does "My Heart Will Go On", I'll be happy. There are few songs that I cringe at when I hear the first notes, but that is still one of them. I actually like some of Celine's music, but that song was played about 4,000 times too many and as much as I tried to avoid it I couldn't.

That song Tamyra wrote had a very similar theme to the Mariah one from a year or so ago. I think I've heard one too many of these songs with weather metaphors (ex: songs about making it through the rain/storm to see the sun/rainbow). Some have been very good, but to me Tamyra's was just bleh, nothing all that memorable.
Old 04-08-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Too bad it isn't a Tarantino-themed show. Imagine the possibilites.

I'd love to hear Huff do "Across 110th Street". Seriously.
Old 04-08-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm obviously in the minority on this one, but John Stevens is pretty much the only reason I'm still watching this show. He is the only one left that I would have any interest at all in buying a CD from.

I will admit that this competition isn't really for him though. He has no real business even attempting to sing Motown or Elton John songs...but what can I say, I dig his style. I definitely prefer his lack of personality to the over the top hammy-ness of others like Fantasia.
Old 04-08-04, 08:13 PM

Re: Enlighten us!

Originally posted by c-moon
I did not notice any 'oral sex' reference when Simon sat in Paula's seat. I even just went and rewatched it (several times) and all he did was duck his head lower until he was her height.
I came here to post the exact same thing. I just rewatched the show and agree that Simon was not trying to suggest oral sex. He ducked his head down to mimic Paula's height deficiency, but did not "slouch" as suggested earlier. If you rewatch the clip, it's pretty obvious IMO.

I also wanted to add that Paula's comments to Camille were way outta line. I took her change in lyrics ("I love you"s and "back to the island of Maui and home...I've finally decided my future lies beyond the yellow brick road") as an acceptance of defeat. I suspect she even made some peace with the idea based on her stoicism throughout the show. Then Paula goes and gives a predetermined speech and messes with the young girl's mind. She's beautiful and has an interesting voice, but is not ready to be recording in Hollywood and should NOT leave her family and the islands.
Old 04-09-04, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, to suffer for a night of Manilow songs and sung by these guys no less. AGONY!

Only cool song from Manilow was Copacabana and that was a long, long time ago.
Old 04-09-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by big whoppa
Oh, to suffer for a night of Manilow songs and sung by these guys no less. AGONY!

Only cool song from Manilow was Copacabana and that was a long, long time ago.
Hey don't the guy with the big schnoze!

He did write the songs that make the whole world sing..of love and special things

MANDY
Old 04-12-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Too bad they "ran out of time". I wanted to hear what career advice Simon would have given Camile. I believe it would have involved the pancake house.
Based on her interview with the local newspaper... after the show, Simon suggested to her to move to L.A. and pursue a career. And an hour after that, Babyface (of LaFace Records) talked to her on the phone.
Old 04-13-04, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by IamFlip
Based on her interview with the local newspaper... after the show, Simon suggested to her to move to L.A. and pursue a career. And an hour after that, Babyface (of LaFace Records) talked to her on the phone.
Wow!
Old 04-13-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts
Camille (and Jasmine) have an almost unfair advantage : they're essentially guaranteed contracts and jobs in Hawaii. HI has many local record lables and local radio stations. People can become huge local stars there and sell out large venues year after year without having even a whiff of fame on the mainland. These two girls are now HUGE stars in Hawaii. It's not like being a local star will satisfy all their dreams, but they'll certainly have lots of work when they get home.
Old 04-13-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Just a note that AI will NOT be on tonight.

Tomorrow will be a taped performances show
Thursday will have the live results show
Old 04-13-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by GuessWho
Just a note that AI will NOT be on tonight.

Tomorrow will be a taped performances show
Thursday will have the live results show
What?!? That's ridiculous. Oh well. Survivor wins that battle easily.

ETA: Oh, it's the presidential press conference. Feh. Lies, lies, and damned lies.