Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deadwood 4/4

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deadwood 4/4

This show is getting better and better. Nice to see Ricky Jay.
Old 04-04-04, 10:05 PM

no kiddin, powers boothe is money in the bank too, i think watchin the premiere again in retrospect would be really sweet!
Old 04-04-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HBO is reairing all three episodes this coming Friday, April 9, at 8:00. That will be good for me, since I missed the first episode.

Based on what I've seen in the last two, HBO has another sterling addition to their long string of quality hour-long dramas.

Carradine rules. "You're not gonna let me sleep, are ya?"
Old 04-05-04, 01:10 AM

Yeah, I wasn't all that excited about this one from the ads HBO was showing before it started, but I've definitely gotten into it.
Old 04-05-04, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still have mixed feelings about this episode - thought it was a bit slow at times, but I guess you need to do that when you set up new story arcs. And seeing Ricky Jay is always a plus - I'll probably watch the three episodes on Friday as you always miss something the first time through
Old 04-05-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought this episode was slow too. Maybe it's just because the murder was in the dark so we couldn't see as much gore Seems like this episode was more of a build up for things to come. The new saloon across the street should be interesting. I'm guessing it doesn't last for two episodes before it's burned to the ground. Not a very good business plan to move in across the street from Al!

Those anonymous drunks sure put a scare into Hickock.
Old 04-05-04, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Roto
I thought this episode was slow too.
I'm just curious, but what do you people consider a fast-paced episode? There were several key developments during this week's show and I didn't notice any part of the show dragging even in the slightest. As a matter of fact the hour seemed to just fly by.

Brett
Old 04-05-04, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Brett44
I'm just curious, but what do you people consider a fast-paced episode? There were several key developments during this week's show and I didn't notice any part of the show dragging even in the slightest. As a matter of fact the hour seemed to just fly by.

Brett
Same here I thought it was a very good episode and didn't think it was slow at any point.
Old 04-05-04, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a matter of fact the hour seemed to just fly by.

Brett

That's my complaint.

But to be fair, I think it's running time is around 50 minutes!

Chris
Old 04-05-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brett
I thought in comparison to the previous episodes this one didn't progress much. They opened a new saloon, and Seth and Sol managed to buy their lot from Al. Nothing happened with the little girl, nothing happened with Hickock. Other than Mr. Hoity Toity Pants getting knocked off (did anyone really care?) it all looks like buildup for next week and beyond to me. I wasn't complaining about it though, I pointed out several things I liked. It's just another of these shows that could probably be taken in 2 hour doses. I'm expecting something huge next week.
Old 04-05-04, 03:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

oooooooooooooooooooo shit this show is starting to heat up! i can't friggin wait for next weeks episode, when hikok confronts the owner of the whore house. should be great.

speaking of the guy that runs the whore house, its only 3 episodes in of DEADWOOD and i want the guy to win a friggin emmy. he is PHENOMINAL as Al. i dont think i've seen him in anything else but this. My, what a fine actor. Literally put chills down my spine.

overall, the cast is fantastic cept for one thing. I love the Timothy Olyphant character in this, but sadly i think he is miscast. little too pretty boyish. but hes doing an ok job i guess. rickie jay, who i love, seemed a little out of step in it as well, but who cares, its rickie ****ing jay.

loved seeing powers boothe in last nights episode.
Old 04-05-04, 04:51 PM
Cool New Member

I was wondering about the posters who thought this episode was too slow in development and if they watch Sopranos how it compares. I watch both and found myself bored with this episode of Sopranos but Deadwood has yet to have me become distracted or bored.
Old 04-05-04, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Irwin Fletcher
I was wondering about the posters who thought this episode was too slow in development and if they watch Sopranos how it compares. I watch both and found myself bored with this episode of Sopranos but Deadwood has yet to have me become distracted or bored.
Well that's because it's new and fresh to all of us. You watch, Season 2, 10th episode, people will be complaining that that episode of Deadwood was too slow. And I just might be one of them!
Old 04-05-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Finally nice to see some "good looking" prostitutes in Deadwood, isn't it?!
Old 04-05-04, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Finally nice to see some "good looking" prostitutes in Deadwood, isn't it?!
100% agree. I just hope that they don't get beat up like the lead prostitute. That's not really nice!

Chris
Old 04-05-04, 09:16 PM
Cool New Member

Thats not exactly true mrpayroll, The Shield is still as strong as ever maybe even stonger in it's 3rd season. So i think it is a matter of writing and direction not being new or fresh.
Old 04-05-04, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Irwin Fletcher
Thats not exactly true mrpayroll, The Shield is still as strong as ever maybe even stonger in it's 3rd season. So i think it is a matter of writing and direction not being new or fresh.
I'm going to have to wait for a Shield marathon so I can catch up with the show. I wanted to watch from the beginning, but there were too many shows on at the time and I only had 1 Tivo at the time. I now have 3. That is also why I don't watch Alias, since I didn't watch it from the beginning. Luckily I got to see the Season 2 marathon of 24 last year, so Season 3 makes a lot of sense to me.

Chris
Old 04-05-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm hooked!

I would imagine this would be really hard to get in to if you had missed the first couple of episodes though...lots of characters and background stuff
Old 04-06-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone have numbers for how the ratings have fared for episodes 2 and 3? What kind of, if any, drop off has there been from thhe grand slam premier? I'm curious to see if there was any real tangible fall-out due to the profanity....

speaking of which, the HBO forum has a thread on it and it's hilarious....http://boards.hbo.com/thread.jsp?for...t=1&msRange=15

My favorite post:

My wife and I were really excited when we heard about the new Deadwood western series on HBO. What we saw or should I say heard within the first minuets of the premiere episode was not only historically inaccurate it was down right vulgar!

We couldn't believe the number of times the "F" word was used along with other vulgar slang words all of which was not only inappropriate for women but it made me cringe in my chair as well, often as many times as every other line, the vulgar language kept on coming until we had to change the channel.

Where not sure who your writers and producers are, but it’s obvious their agenda is less than honorable in the way they have chosen to portray our forefathers. I would have thought your writers would have learned something from the classic westerns of our past, which good films didn’t need the sex and language your “Deadwood” portrayed.

I agree with one thing, the old west was a rough and rowdy place, but the men and women who went west were educated, God fearing Christians. I ‘m not trying to say that a discouraging word was never heard in the old west, but I heard more vulgarity in the first 15 minutes of Deadwood than I would ever want to hear in an entire season.

My wife and I are members of the Single Action Shooting Society in which we participate in Cowboy Action Shooting, which happens to be the fastest and largest shooting sport in the world and demands historical accuracy but most of all decency.

We found it to be offensive, disgusting and down right horrible, the language and inappropriate behavior was very disappointing, it’s too bad you thought you needed to use such language to portray an accurate picture of the old west, you couldn’t have been farther from the truth. Your characters and clothing were great even the setting was done well. You had a real winner there until your actors opened their mouths.

You will notice a drop in your ratings because western historians like my wife and I are by the millions and we wont watch another episode as long as your agenda is what it appeared to be in your first episode.

I’m sorry to say Deadwood is just plain dead.
it's really quite striking how many of the complainers claim to "love westerns." me thinks this is the greatest example ever of how sanitized the "West" has been in TV and movies for as long as those mediums have existed. The last couple of thread have some interesting posts regarding the use of language in history and such too.....

but i'm still having a hard time figuring out why some profanity is so damned objectionable, but feeding dead outlaws to pigs is A-OK!!
Old 04-06-04, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wonder what they thought about the whoring and beatings and killing... or did only the swearing bother them?

Brian
Old 04-06-04, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To paraphrase Harlan Ellison, in a similar situation years ago: don't sweat it...they'll both be dead pretty soon.

The capacity people, especially people born before WWII, have to delude themselves on the nature of the world and it's history, never ceases to amaze me.
Old 04-06-04, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

well, classicman told me there wasn't there much swearing in the old west and i believe him!
Old 04-06-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bdshort
I wonder what they thought about the whoring and beatings and killing... or did only the swearing bother them?

Brian

I think that the problem some people are having with the profanity (other than people who are against it in general) is that the profanity on the show is not really well-written into the dialogue. If you consider a Mamet script or a Tarantino screenplay, you see that the profanity is simply part of the character in the same way an article of clothing might be: it sits comfortably.

The profanity in Deadwood seems to constantly call attention to itself, and I think that's a failure in the writing.
Old 04-06-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Who was the prostitute that hung around Powers Boothe? She looked pretty fine.
Old 04-06-04, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Who was the prostitute that hung around Powers Boothe? She looked pretty fine.

Stay away from her. She's mine!

Chris

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.