Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Blow it up, Lexx"

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-04, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Blow it up, Lexx"

Prologue:

Typical arguement between myself and a friend regarding what serialized Sci-Fi series isn't a complete and total waste of brain cells. To be honest, I find most of it nothing but a cliche' mess of Bantha fodder meant to keep ratings high with 8th graders. Can occasionaly tolerate an episode of STNG, Farscape, sometimes StarGate.... if I turn my brain off.

My friend handed me the first two seasons of Lexx on DVD and encouraged me to watch them. I'd seen a few episodes on the Sci-Fi channel, but found it disjointed because of the lack of linearity in the broadcasts. Seemed strange, but interesting.

As I started going through the DVD's episode by episode I became strangley attracted to the series, and realized, "hey, this isn't too bad if you watch it in order. Matter of fact, this is pretty damn good now that I know what the heck is going on." As somebody who finds Terry Gilliam light-years more advanced than George Lucas, I found series one and two of Lexx to be a pretty good time. Although at times bordering on extreme campiness, the series intentional lack of any predictability was refreshing. This along with some brilliant Sci-Fi subplots worthy of anything I've seen, if not twisted about 90degress out of phase from reality. If you don't catch any of the brutal satire directed towards American audiences, you just don't get it, and perhaps you shouldn't :-) I did and I was one the floor laughing more than once.

Am I the only one that found that freaky series to be a pretty good watch?????
Old 04-04-04, 01:08 AM

I remember watching a couple Lexx episodes LONG ago...It was called Tales from a Parallel Universe tho...but I'm positive it was the same thing...I believe it was on the Canadian SciFi channel that I was watching it.

Anyway, I loved it. The first episode had Barry Bostwick (Brad from Rocky Horror), and the second episode had Tim Curry (Frank N. Furter from Rocky Horror). I'm a Rocky Horror Fan, so that's what originally intrigued me into watching it.

If I had more money I'd absolutely buy it on DVD.
Old 04-04-04, 01:12 AM

Rutger Hauer was in Episode 3 - "Eating Pattern".
Old 04-04-04, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
Big fan of LEXX. It was definitely one of the most original shows to hit television. I suppose the offbeat sensibility is an acquired taste but I loved the perverse humor, the mix of odd mechanical contraptions and the insane evil people the crew would frequently encounter. It had great characters and a unique style.

The last season on the little blue planet might be the weakest but it still has some good storylines and I thought the show was able to end on a high note unlike most series. I was sad to see it end.