Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deadwood 3/28

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-04, 11:25 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Deadwood 3/28

No thread about this episode? I enjoyed it. Maybe I'm getting used to the cadence of the series, or maybe I was just paying better attention tonight, but I found it a lot easier to follow. Still lots of foul language (or fowl language, as Tony Soprano might say), so those of you with tender sensibilities might not want to watch.
Old 03-29-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find the excessive filth on the characters bodies more offensive than the filth emmanating from thier mouths
Old 03-29-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
**heads off to the history books to see when and how Calamity Jane gets killed**

She's slightly less annoying this time around. Less screen time I guess. Not a bad episode.
Old 03-29-04, 01:24 AM

I enjoyed this week's episode. Looking forward to more. All in all so far another good series from HBO in my opinion.

z
Old 03-29-04, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by monkeyboy
**heads off to the history books to see when and how Calamity Jane gets killed**

She's slightly less annoying this time around. Less screen time I guess. Not a bad episode.
Just see the Pilot ep. thread....i posted it in there

Another good episode....it's not GREAT imho...but it's awfully good, and it is most definately better than anything else on any other network during the week.
Old 03-29-04, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoyed this episode much better than the first one (I was gonna give it this week to see if I wanted to watch more as the first one was a bit too slow).

Like brizz said, it's not GREAT, but it's entertaining.

Last edited by Blake; 03-29-04 at 03:00 AM.
Old 03-29-04, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

After two episodes I'm starting to get hooked, too.
Def good enough to continue watching ... love "Montana" and his take no bullshit from anyone character. Although I guess you could say that about most of the other folks, too.
Old 03-29-04, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Although still a little profane, I don't think the language was as nearly as bad in Episode 2 as Episode 1. In the pilot, it was like "lets see how many swear words we can get into an hour's TV". This week, it seemed more natural to the characters and the dialogue they were speaking.

Ian McShane, Keith Carradine, William Sanderson and Brad Dourif are the best reasons to watch the show. Timothy Olyphant, however, is starting to drive me crazy with his shifty eyes and snarls in every confrontation he has.

Does Calamity Jane remind anyone of their worst blind date ever?
Old 03-29-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
I felt that this episode was better than the first but I may feel that way b/c I have more background on the characters from watching the first episode. It is nowhere near as strong as the first 2 episodes of The Sopranos or Six Feet Under but it has held my attention much better than Carnival (which is used to put old pets to sleep).

Entertainment Weekly stated that the show said the word cock-sucker 6 times in the first episode. I thought it was even more than that so I counted last night's episode. I came up with a total of 9 times (if I remember correctly) for the word cock-sucker alone. The cussing did not seem as planned as the first episode but I guess they felt that the "shock value" for the first episode would be cussing and this episode would be extended views of a semi-flaccid penis. Wonder what delights the third episode will have?

My wife and I have found it interesting and since nothing else is on at 9:00, I guess we will stick with it unless it becomes the snooze-fest that Carnival became.
Old 03-29-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was surprised to see C Jane completetly unravel in the doctor's office. I thought she was supposed to be tougher then that.
Old 03-29-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The quality of this show's writing is miles and miles above the cluelessly cryptic mumbo-jumbo of "Carnivale."

Plus, any show that brings the full-frontal male nudity - especially on a bearded, bellied man - is tops in my book.

Old 03-29-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tv guide says theres lots of full frontal from both male and female.
Old 03-29-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by grunter

Plus, any show that brings the full-frontal male nudity - especially on a bearded, bellied man - is tops in my book.

Moving to, um...we don't have a Forum for that yet.
Old 03-29-04, 12:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What is a "Square Head"??

Does it relate to a specific race or language? Where does the term come from?
Old 03-29-04, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by CPA-ESQ.
What is a "Square Head"??

Does it relate to a specific race or language? Where does the term come from?
It's a slur for people who are of Germanic/Northern European origin. The family that was slaughtered was Swedish. I'm not sure where the term comes from -- some online osurces peg it to WWI-era German helmets, which would make its use on the show an anachronism.
Old 03-30-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Phil L.
I was surprised to see C Jane completetly unravel in the doctor's office. I thought she was supposed to be tougher then that.
She was the victim of some sort of abuse as a child and for whatever reason Al dredged all of those memories up in her head.
Old 03-30-04, 08:49 AM

Holy crap, I just realized that Montana is the drug dealer from Go. Now I like this show even more. Another solid episode last night - I caught it on HBO OnDemand since nothing else is on Monday nights and I've got Alias and The Practice on Sunday nights.
Old 03-30-04, 10:44 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Great episode this week. I'm getting hooked on this one now!
Old 03-30-04, 11:18 AM

A sign for me that this show is good, is that when it ended, I really wanted it to go on for another hour.

I also agree that there was less cursing and it seemed more natural and not included for shock value.

All of the actors playing the main characters have done an excellent job with their portrayals of mostly historical people.

Chris
Old 03-30-04, 12:56 PM

If anyone want's the histories of some of the characters in the show, you can click here

Be warned that if the show follows history as to the fates of the different characters (which I hope it will), there are some spoilers there. If this show does follow history, I expect that this season might actually cover several years.

Brian
Old 03-30-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's pretty evident that most of the cursing comes from Al Swearington and his lackies. "The good guys" other than Calamity Jane don't swear nearly as much.

I almost though Swearington's name was a bad pun, but he was a real person. I like the characters so far. Having Jane break down like AJ Soprano seeing a bear definitely helped cut her annoyance factor down to almost tolerable. The Doc is cool, he trusts nobody.
Old 03-30-04, 01:15 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by bdshort
If anyone want's the histories of some of the characters in the show, you can click here

Be warned that if the show follows history as to the fates of the different characters (which I hope it will), there are some spoilers there. If this show does follow history, I expect that this season might actually cover several years.

Brian
Hmmm ... I knew Wild Bill, Charlie Utter, and Calamaity Jane were real people, but I had no idea Al Swearengen, Seth Bullock, and Sol Star were also real people.

I don't think they will be covering several years this season -- I remember reading a quote from the show's creator about how the town reinvented itself every 6 months, so they could do subsequent seasons and they wouldn't necessarily take the same approach to the town (though many of the characters would be the same).

Interestingly, Wild Bill's time in Deadwood overlapped with Seth Bullock's time in Deadwood by only one day, which is a definite liberty the series took with the timeline.
Old 03-30-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Does Calamity Jane remind anyone of their worst blind date ever?
<--- happy hes not Shannon Nutt
Old 04-02-04, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Meteu185
Holy crap, I just realized that Montana is the drug dealer from Go. Now I like this show even more. Another solid episode last night - I caught it on HBO OnDemand since nothing else is on Monday nights and I've got Alias and The Practice on Sunday nights.

Just as a head's up for those that watch other programs Sunday at 10 (especially those of us that watch HD stuff that we don't want to miss), it's replayed on HBO (and HBO HD) on Wednesday at 10, and Thursday (techincally Friday at midnight ).
Old 04-02-04, 07:55 AM

Wow, Seth Bullock created Yellowstone Park? That's pretty cool - thanks for the link, this is fun reading!