Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How many rooms (boxes) can be hooked up with satillite?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-28-04, 04:03 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I just got satillite now my mother in-law wants it at her house and wants to drop cable. She wants a dvr in one room and 3 regular boxes in the other rooms, so they would need 4 boxes and since one is a dvr that would be 5 lines I guess. What is the most that directv will support? Is there any option to support that many?
Old 03-28-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure. She would need a "multi-switch", which can cost $80-100 or so. I have a powered multi-switch up in my attic. It takes the 4 lines coming out of my "triple lnb oval dish" (the newer oval dishes already have a multiswitch, so it has four lines coming out) and makes it into lines for 8 different DirecTV tuners.

You are correct in that you would need 5 different lines. I currently have 2 lines running to the bedroom (to a TiVo), 3 running to the living room (one TiVo, plus an extra jack in case I wanted a plain receiver, which I have but deactivated, to do P-in-P during football season), plus one line for each of my kids' rooms (TiVo unit with only one tuner activated). Technically I could run one more line somewhere without additional equipment to use all eight lines.

Look at this image, but ignore the OTA antenna bit:

When you place the order, make sure a multiswitch would be installed free. DirecTV is good about that. YMMV on other equipment vendors. Also, depending on her negotiation skills, you might want to be there for the install so she isn't raped on wall drops.

No, I can't help you finding flat coax.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 03-28-04 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-28-04, 05:00 PM
Suspended

Thanks Y2K that is a huge help. I also found the flat coax from some guy in Longveiw so it should be here on Monday so I can start watching my dish on my Living room TV instead of only the bedroom.
Old 03-28-04, 05:03 PM
Suspended

Does anyone think that directv would give a deal on NFL SUnday ticket if I get her to sign up 5 lines and the $90.99 package with them, kind of like a referal?
Old 03-28-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you get a triple lnb dish (standard now I believe) make sure you get a cascading multi-switch or you will only see the main sat at 101

Other good forums:

http://www.avsforum.com

http://www.dbsforums.com

http://www.tivocommunity.com