Tru Calling - 03/25/04

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Tru Calling - 03/25/04

"Daddy's Girl", Episode #114.

Spoiler:
Although Tru dislikes her father's new wife (Laura Leighton), she must help her; a new forensics attendant (Jason Priestly) helps Tru.

Cast: Eliza Dushku, Shawn Reaves, Jessica Collins, A.J. Cook, Heath Freeman, Zach Galifianakis, Jason Priestley, Laura Leighton, Wade Williams, Cotter Smith, Jennifer Halley.
Producer(s): Marty Adelstein, Dawn Parouse, Jon Feldman.

Original Airdate: March 25, 2004.
Old 03-25-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
still sucked...
Old 03-25-04, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by raven56706
still sucked...
What are you talking about? It has suddenly gotten very interesting. Many questions were answered tonight and many more are needed to be answered in future episodes.

It looks like Jason Priestley will do well in his new character. He's got some secrets in his past that should be interesting.

All in all, the show is getting stronger as we head toward the season finale.

Spoiler:
And it looks like next week, the reporter that can expose Tru is killed and Tru goes back to save her life. But Davis says to her, if you save her, she will expose you. So Tru has a very hard decision to make

Chris
Old 03-25-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mrpayroll
What are you talking about? It has suddenly gotten very interesting. Many questions were answered tonight and many more are needed to be answered in future episodes.

It looks like Jason Priestley will do well in his new character. He's got some secrets in his past that should be interesting.

All in all, the show is getting stronger as we head toward the season finale.

Spoiler:
And it looks like next week, the reporter that can expose Tru is killed and Tru goes back to save her life. But Davis says to her, if you save her, she will expose you. So Tru has a very hard decision to make

Chris
I agree with you. The show has steadily improved throughout the season and has lately been playing variations on the main theme that keep it from getting stale.

Spoiler:
I love how every week she seems to save Harrison's ass with Lindsay. That's something I don't mind being repeated.
Old 03-25-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed. Unlike some other shows w/ problematic writing, they've obviously made an effort to remedy it and move in a new direction, over the last month or more.

One thing: if he was hired to kill her mother originally, and (I think it follows) her father's version of the backstory was so much BS, why did he keep coming back for "revenge"?
Old 03-26-04, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson

One thing: if he was hired to kill her mother originally, and (I think it follows) her father's version of the backstory was so much BS, why did he keep coming back for "revenge"?
I thought he came back because he wanted more money from him. He got greedy and want to keep squeezing money from Tru's dad.
Old 03-26-04, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mookiemeister
I thought he came back because he wanted more money from him. He got greedy and want to keep squeezing money from Tru's dad.
True, but he seemed to have every intention of killing her father's neo-wife and then Tru herself, a little later. His revenge motive was shown to be a lie, so why would he be so relentlessly homicidal?

It seems (and I could be wrong) to be one of those cases where we're essentially cheated with a "gotcha" surprise that's inconsistent with previous events, not just revealed truth that emerges from earlier mistaken belief.
Old 03-26-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So we got Jason Priestly and Lara Leighton, now all we need is someone from Models Inc. and we could have a trifecta of the Melrose/90210 universe.

I like where this show is headed...
Old 03-26-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

good .... glad to see people liking the show.....

Phew.... a negative comment can sure bring some good positives for the show.
Old 03-26-04, 10:57 AM

True, but he seemed to have every intention of killing her father's neo-wife and then Tru herself, a little later. His revenge motive was shown to be a lie, so why would he be so relentlessly homicidal?

It seems (and I could be wrong) to be one of those cases where we're essentially cheated with a "gotcha" surprise that's inconsistent with previous events, not just revealed truth that emerges from earlier mistaken belief.
I wonder if the writers have something else planned for this killer. Also, perhaps more will be revealed about the true motives behind Tru's dad and this killer. Maybe we will see another episode on ths stuff later.
Old 03-26-04, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by mookiemeister
I wonder if the writers have something else planned for this killer. Also, perhaps more will be revealed about the true motives behind Tru's dad and this killer. Maybe we will see another episode on ths stuff later.
I'm sure we haven't seen the last of this guy. It will probably be a season ending cliffhanger!

Chris
Old 03-26-04, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mrpayroll
I'm sure we haven't seen the last of this guy. It will probably be a "series" ending cliffhanger!

Chris
fixed.

I'm hoping Fox doesn't pull another John Doe.

I think the whole "he keeps coming back for more money" is a mislead. the dad actually paid him to kill the wife and now he's looking at taking out wife #2.
Old 03-26-04, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
fixed.

You know, I was thinking the same thing right after I typed that. They had better not cancel the series.

The networks wonder why fewer and fewer people are watching their shows. Well cancelling a series after a couple of episodes or 1 season (remember The Fugitive with it's cliffhanger that was never resolved), has been causing more people to watch HBO and the cable networks, who give their series more chance to succeed.

Chris
Old 03-26-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Well, before the day started over, he did kill her. Once the day started over, it was merely an attempt and then Tru became his target. This would've given Tru's "father" more initiative to pay more $$$. 'Sides, he's already killed Tru's mother and gotten away with it, what's the big stretch with killing someone else?
Ya know, while I was watching this episode I was thinking "Wow, I miss John Doe."
Old 03-26-04, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm hoping Fox releases a DVD set of the first season (like they did with 24) this summer in hopes of increasing viewers for a second season.
Old 03-26-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know a site that has detailed recap of last night's ep. It's the first episode I was really looking forward to watching and I freakin missed it.
Thanks.
Old 03-27-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the whole "he keeps coming back for more money" is a mislead. the dad actually paid him to kill the wife and now he's looking at taking out wife #2.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I think the guy was later sent by the dad to go after Tru in her apartment and make it look like he was going to kill Tru. The dad probably wanted to erase any doubts that Tru may have had about the "he keeps coming back for money" story. It seemed kind of convenient that the dad comes to save the day right at the moment when the guy was going to kill Tru.
Old 03-27-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've enjoyed the show from the beginning, but I'm growing tired of it. That Tru's mom had this ability and that Davis knew was obvious from the first episode, and it's just been annoying to watch them drag it out. All the misdirection is annoying too. Each episode is like a bad episode of Murder, She Wrote with all the false suspects. I enjoy when the show doesn't take itself so seriously, but these recent overly dramatic episodes are falling flat to me.

das
Old 03-27-04, 10:25 PM

i missed the show as well...can someone explain to me what happened, I don't understand what this whole killer thing is and how it is related to tru's mom i guess? Thanks

Jason X.
Old 03-28-04, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by xDareDevilx
i missed the show as well...can someone explain to me what happened, I don't understand what this whole killer thing is and how it is related to tru's mom i guess? Thanks

Jason X.
Well we see a flashback when Tru's mom is murdered. Tru is hiding in the closet and cannot see the murderer, but she hears his distinctive voice. Back to the present. Tru's fathers new wife is found dead and she asks for Tru's help. So Tru stays with her and this guy trys to attack her step mom in the park and Tru stops him. Later he goes after Tru and she hears him speak and remembers his voice, as the voice of the person that killed her mom.

The rest of the story is pretty complicated and I'm not sure any of us understand it at this point. It will probably be explained in future episodes. I doubt that we have seen the last of the killer. But somehow Tru's dad is involved in all of this.

Chris
Old 03-28-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Smallville could learn a thing from this show - and it's called progressing the storyline bit by bit every ep.

Obviously, I enjoyed this ep, too. And I always like to see how Tru wil save Harry - whether it's his relationship w/ Lindsey or w/ his gambling problem.
Old 04-01-04, 07:01 PM

thanks for the synopsis mrpayroll!