Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

deadwood pilot 3/21/04

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JasonF
Swearingdon only wanted to take the rich guy for $14k, because he knew the guy only had $20k total. Because he spent his whole credit, the rich guy is going to have to wire back to New York for more credit. Swearingdon is concerned that this is going to make people in New York say "why the hell is this guy spending money so fast?" and send the Pinkertons out to investigate and/or cut the rich guy off from more credit.

That's why he was pissed off at the Irish guy and had him killed.
I got the feeling that he was more pissed that he insisted on getting paid. So he essentially killed him for wanting $20.
Old 03-22-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Shuki
how long do we have to wait until calamity jane gets killed off lol

other than her its a pretty good start to the season I'd say.
quite a while - seeing as how she died in 1903 and all....

lol
Old 03-22-04, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

speaking of deaths, concerning the real life of Wild Bill Hickock:

Spoiler:
He was shot while playing poker by Jack McCall in August of 1876, only a couple of weeks after this show starts....do you suppose that will be a finale or midpoint of the series?
Old 03-22-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think most of us have a problem with the language because we just arent used to them in a western enviorment.
Old 03-22-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Rypro 525 •

i think most of us have a problem with the language because we just arent used to them in a western enviorment.
Why does that even matter?

What a strange thread.

das
Old 03-22-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

because most people don't assume the old west with swearing.
Old 03-22-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You mean the wild west? It's immediately associated with boozing, whoring, brawling, gambling, lawlessness, criminals-turned-Marshalls, and frequent gunfights ... but people didn't use "dirty" words?

das
Old 03-22-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah, you got a point, i'll back off.
Old 03-22-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
yeah, you got a point, i'll back off.
I think you mean you'll back the F off.

Oh, and C**t is my favorite swear word by far.

Last edited by spainlinx0; 03-22-04 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-22-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When did c*** become so offensive anyway? It seems like in recent years it's been elevated to some uber-offensive status. Or is it just the desensitization of words like f*** that makes it relatively more offensive? All of it's absurd anyway. They're just ****ing words.

das
Old 03-22-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

imo, the c word is offensive since it degrades women in a negetive way.
Old 03-22-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you want to be offensive to a woman, tell her to shut up and do your laundry, or pay her less for the same quality of work as a man. C*** is just a word for the female genitals. How'd it get elevated to such a high level of offense. Hell, I'd think "Slut" would be more offensive in terms of actual definition.

das
Old 03-22-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts
I don't know why it is considered such a bad word. I just like the way it sounds. A curse word should sound vulgar and guttural, and I think that one definitely does.
Old 03-23-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think das and I have ever been, nor ever will be, more on the same page as we are in this thread

ya ****ing *******!!
Old 03-23-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoyed the show and am looking forward to the rest of the season. I did not even notice the terrible language that has been brought up in this thread.
Old 03-23-04, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
You mean the wild west? It's immediately associated with boozing, whoring, brawling, gambling, lawlessness, criminals-turned-Marshalls, and frequent gunfights ... but people didn't use "dirty" words?

das
I don't think we're questioning the use of profanity in the Wild West, I think we're questioning the particular use of profanity. Even in 2004, I rarely hear the word c***sucker used - yet it's used six times in the pilot for Deadwood. The fact that the bar/brothel owner uses it in a speech to his customers really threw me for a loop...it's one thing to curse in private among your friends, but I can't imagine anyone would do it in a place of business in the late 1800's.
Old 03-23-04, 08:11 AM
Banned

Originally posted by brizz
uhm, where do you suppose those words came from? They weren't exactly invented in the 60s Most of the cusswords we know today...almost all of them....go back many centuries....I think its hilarious that some folks will completely dismiss a show because of some language - language that is perfectly appropriate to the time, place, and settings....that's not a problem with the show - that's a problem with the viewer....
No, it is not a problem with the viewer. It is a problem with the writers. Excessive profanity does not equal brilliant drama. This is a drama. It is not a documentary. I don't watch a drama in order to see what everyday life was like in the past. I watch it to be entertained. Deadwood is a pathetic show which has no dialog sans profanity. I see no merit in it.
Old 03-23-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Excessive profanity does not negate brilliant drama either. If you don't enjoy the show, that's one thing, but if you categorically dismiss it simply for having barely more profanity than other HBO shows and not nearly as much as many popular films, then the problem is indeed with the viewer. Categorizing it as "no dialog sans profanity" is such a wild exaggeration, it makes it difficult to take your post seriously.

What I find interesting is that some people in this thread are seriously offended by the language (whatever that means), while others of us never would have even noticed it if someone hadn't complained about it in this thread. I would argue that that speaks to personal preference of the viewer more than anything else, but it's an interesting effect nonetheless. I wonder if it's because of age or geography or what.

Btw, the word "c***sucker" is a "vintage" word, to me ... meaning that I expect to hear it in older work more than in current speech, more popular in the past. I expect retired mobsters to use it. When I hear the word, I picture people like Robert Loggia. It's an older word, so to hear it used in this context seems completely reasonable to me.

das
Old 03-23-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
I don't think we're questioning the use of profanity in the Wild West, I think we're questioning the particular use of profanity. Even in 2004, I rarely hear the word c***sucker used - yet it's used six times in the pilot for Deadwood. The fact that the bar/brothel owner uses it in a speech to his customers really threw me for a loop...it's one thing to curse in private among your friends, but I can't imagine anyone would do it in a place of business in the late 1800's.
you watch the sopanos right? paulie, silvio and christopher use cs all the time.
Old 03-23-04, 10:02 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
imo, the c word is offensive since it degrades women in a negetive way.
New rule: from now on, we're only degrading women in a positive way!
Old 03-23-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by EPKJ
No, it is not a problem with the viewer. It is a problem with the writers. Excessive profanity does not equal brilliant drama. This is a drama. It is not a documentary. I don't watch a drama in order to see what everyday life was like in the past. I watch it to be entertained. Deadwood is a pathetic show which has no dialog sans profanity. I see no merit in it.
fine...don't watch it. But your criticisms are indeed not reflective of any real problem with the show, but of your own narrow definition of what constitutes "Good" drama. Personally, i like my historical dramas as accurate as possible....I find that entertaining. So you go and enjoy Back to the Future III and i'll stick with Deadwood and we'll all be happy....
Old 03-23-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're not thinking 4th-dimensionally, brizz!

das

"I do my killin' after breakfast!"
Old 03-23-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
I can't imagine any town that averages 1.5 murders a day, but that's what this is about. A brothel isn't exactly a typical place of business. You are aware of what they do there aren't you? ****sucker would be an exceptionally appropriate word to use
Old 03-24-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by JasonF
I don't know if this is an urban legend (and I don't really feel like surfing for these words while I'm at work), but I remember reading that most of our dirty words derive from Anglo-Saxon languages. When the Normans invaded in 1066, they brought over their own words, and those became the nicer words, while the Anglo-Saxon words came to be thought of as low class. Thus, refined people would describe a girl's hoo-ha with the Latin-derrived "vagina" rather than the Anglo-Saxon "c***." Similarly, "penis" was considered more elegant than "c**k," "feces" was prefered to "s**t," and "urine" was prefered to "p**s."
I'm not sure that entirely true. First of all, c**k is a farm term, and that is a completely separate source of slang. (b***h, ass, chick, fox, cuny, shoat, stud, biddy, p***y, stallion, hag, heifer, etc.)

Also, over the centuries, words are dirtied, euphemized, cleaned, then re-entered. Consider that todays "homes" were once funeral parlors, and before that mortuaries. Eventually, it will cycle back to mortuary when it has lost its negative connotation. Similarly, f**k was first printed in a dictionary is the 16th century, along with jape, sard, swive and occupy. They all meant the same "vile" thing then. F**k remains the same, 3 have disappeared alltogether, and occupy was cleaned.

English had the advantage of being invaded by angles, saxons, jutes, normans, and romans, so the language is very much a creole even though it isn't called one. English is in fact the most precise language because it has multiple words for the same thing, or very slight variations. The english translation of the bible uses less syllables than any other translation, because it differentiates beef from cow, and pork from pig.

Not much of latin crossed over into english. French was mostly used by the upper classes, so all our terms of royalty, and legal term are derrived from french, but it is a small domain. Our sentence structure remains Germanic, and the majority of our vocabulary is Anglo-Saxon.

A little off topic, so I'll stop now.
Old 03-24-04, 12:24 PM

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|87074|1|,00.html

'Deadwood' Comes Alive for HBO
(Wednesday, March 24 09:06 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - If David Milch's new HBO Western "Deadwood" keeps scoring in the ratings, they're going to have to start calling it "Alivewood." Actually, that would be a stupid idea, but the fresh Sunday night drama scored a record audience for its Sunday night (March 23) premiere.
"Deadwood" became, in fact, the premium cable channel's most watched series premiere ever. The drama drew 5.8 million viewers in its first airing on Sunday night, passing the 5.3 million who tuned in for the first episode of "Carnivale" last fall.

Both record-setting premieres benefited heavily for more established lead-ins. "Carnivale" launched following the finale of "Sex and the City's" summer season, while "Deadwood" had the advantage of debuting after "The Sopranos." The mob drama drew 10.1 million viewers in its third episode of the season, a slight improvement over last week's episode.

The "Deadwood" premiere is actually even more impressive than the "Carnivale" numbers due to the recent adjustments in Nielsen measurements for the premium cable networks. The "Carnivale" figures would have reflected the total number viewers tuning in to all associated HBO networks during its time slot, providing at least some inflation. The 5.8 million "Deadwood" viewers were actual watching the flagship HBO for the show's hour-long premiere.

"Deadwood" will also have the advantage of the continued "Sopranos" lead-in for most of its run. Without "Sex and the City," "Carnivale" had difficulty retaining its premiere audience.

We'll see how the 2nd week viewership is, but this is really good news!

Chris

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.