Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stargate SG-1--questions about season finale

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stargate SG-1--questions about season finale

Odd that there isn't a weekly SG-1 thread like there is for other shows, surely I can't be the only fan.

Anyway, a few questions after watching tonight's episode, which was the season finale. I missed the last couple of episodes, so....

Spoiler:
Can anyone give me a brief synopsis of what happened during the last 2 weeks? Why is Jack all of a sudden remembering all this stuff about the Ancients? Did something new happen to him, or is it "leftover" knowledge from Season (1 or 2?) episode "The Fifth Race" when he modified the Stargate to dial an extra symbol to go to the Asgard homeworld.

Speaking of the Asgard, did they ever give any explanation why SG command didn't contact them for help vs. Anubis? Seems odd that they were so desperate to find the Ancient's city and weaponry when the Asgard, who are supposedly allies (and have been bailed out by SG-1 in the past in the war vs. the replicators) can defeat G'ould ships with ease.

Think Jack is gone, or will they find Atlantis, and a way to save him?

When does the next season start, anyone know?

Anyone else notice the teaser for a new show this summer, Stargate Atlantis? Is it going to be a spin-off series and air at the same time, or are they just changing the name of the show?

Etc, Etc...

Old 03-19-04, 11:38 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Well, I'm not sure if any of the below are actually spoilers, but:

1. They managed to find the location of one of those Ancient devices that imparts data, which they want to use to find the location of the "Lost City" (I forgot the exact details behind this). The original plan was to remove the device and bring it back to Earth so that it could be used safetly. However Anubis' forces showed up in hopes of doing the same, so O'Neill used the device on himself again (and blowing up the device as they fled)

2. In terms of the Asgard, it was mentioned in the last episode that Stargate Command was unable to contact them.

Spoiler:
This is definitely a *SPOILER* but: I've heard that Jack becomes "General O'Neil", so very likely he'll become "normal" again.

4. As per the commercials, the next season of Stargate SG-1 starts in July.

5. Atlantis is a spin-off series.
Old 03-19-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, a bit of searching, and I answered a few of my own questions...for anyone else interested, some info on the new spin-off show below...

Spoiler:
Apparently Season 8 of SG-1 will be the last, it's going to air starting in July. Atlantis' first season will air at the same time, right after SG-1 (woohoo, 2 hours of Stargate goodness every Friday night...who needs to go out? )

MAJOR SPOILERS ABOUT ATLANTIS BELOW (from www.gateworld.com/atlantis

Just what the Stargate Atlantis universe will look like, and how it will differ from its predecessor? GateWorld has the scoop on the technology, ships, villains and more! Beware of spoilers for the new series below -- especially the premiere episode, "Rising", as well as for SG-1's Season Seven finale!
THE TECH. A team of scientists has been pouring over the Ancients' Antarctic outpost since SG-1 discovered it buried a mile beneath the ice in "The Lost City," and have learned that only people with a very rare gene are able to operate the intuitive technology found there -- one person in 16,000, to be exact. Dr. Benjamin Ingram is a brilliant scientist who works to interface Earth technology with that of the Ancients, but is frustrated by the fact that he himself does not possess the gene. Another of the scientists, however -- Dr. Beckett -- does possess the gene and accidentally launches an Ancient attack drone from the outpost. They also quickly learn that Major Sheppard has the gene; the ability to use the Ancients' tech will come in very handy when the team reaches the lost city of Atlantis in the distant Pegasus galaxy.

Vital to the operation of the city (and to the team's ability to gate to another galaxy) is the Z.P.M., an Ancient power module that was probably the basis for the device O'Neill constructed in "The Fifth Race" while under the influence of the Ancients' library of knowledge. Atlantis is powered by three of the devices.

As hoped, the lost city is indeed a treasure trove of advanced technology, which includes such things as a universal translation device. Each team member travelling off-world receives one, which is capable of instantly translating virtually any language encountered.

THE SHIPS. As an accomplished pilot, Sheppard is particularly interested in a bay of Ancient ships discovered in Atlantis. The ship of choice is nicknamed "Puddle Jumper," as it is designed to travel through the Stargate. In fact, the ship has a miniature dialing device on the main console, allowing remote-access dialing of the Stargate. It is also equipped with stealth mode, allowing it to become invisible. The ship seems to operate in part by reading the pilot's thoughts. The jumper is large enough to seat at least two at the forward controls, and at least six in the rear.

The enemy possesses advanced ships too, of course. The Wraith Dart is a small, maneuverable ship capable of gate travel. It is described as oily black, sharply pointed and with a glowing underside. The Wraith planet has a Stargate in orbit, indicating that it's rather common to travel the Stargate network by ship in this part of the universe.

ATLANTIS. The lost city of the Ancients is an island unto itself, surrounded by a vast body of water on the surface of a planet in the Pegasus galaxy (... eventually). It has been abandoned by the Ancients but left in perfect condition, and the team from Earth must begin the task of exploring it. Atlantis is equipped with a powerful energy shield, which is vital to protecting the new base of operations from enemy attack. Within the city is, of course, a Stargate -- but one unlike any previously seen.

THE STARGATE. The chevrons are blue on the Atlantis gate, and, of course, the symbols themselves are different in this galaxy. Instead of physically spinning, the inner track spins in a pattern of light. The brightly-lit symbols also rotate around much faster than Earth's gate.

The team accesses the gate's control systems -- more like a computer than a D.H.D. -- along with a new library of addresses, most of which are presumably for the Pegasus galaxy's gate network. After dialing another world, the tried-and-true system of M.A.L.P. probes and G.D.O. transmitters are still used. At the touch of a button, the gate may be protected by an iris-like energy shield.

THE WRAITH. They are the enemy that defeated the Ancients themselves long ago. The Wraith are a hive-based species with a queen, and horrifically feed off the life force of other beings. They maintain a thousand worlds populated by beings used for food. The Wraith are described as having pale green-tinged skin and black eyes, and have an incredible power to regenerate -- so much so that Dr. Beckett speculates that they may not even die of old age the same way that humans do. They also appear to have some form of psionic ability.

Old 03-19-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What did they ever do with the device they found in the Aztec ruins in (err...insert some Central American country here, I forget which one it was now...) I remember it was supposed to have similar (but more powerful I assume) effects as a sarcophogus, but I don't remember ever seeing them use it after going through the effort of getting the thing.
Old 03-20-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mongo
What did they ever do with the device they found in the Aztec ruins in (err...insert some Central American country here, I forget which one it was now...) I remember it was supposed to have similar (but more powerful I assume) effects as a sarcophogus, but I don't remember ever seeing them use it after going through the effort of getting the thing.
yes they talked about it in Death Knell.

Spoiler:
They made a weapons that could kill Anubis supersoilders
Old 03-20-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a question. Based on the events of the season finale will the government go public with the stargate? I mean how are the going to explain the loss of an entire Carrier Battle Group?

There aren't to many good lies you can come up with for that one. Maybe... "They hit an iceberg?!"

Last edited by Manco; 03-20-04 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-20-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Manco
I have a question. Based on the events of the season finale will the government go public with the stargate? I mean how are the going to explain the loss of an entire Carrier Battle Group?

There aren't to many good lies you can come up with for that one. Maybe... "They hit an iceberg?!"
They explained it already. They claimed was a meteor shower.

Only thing I wish they shown more of was the X302's & Promethus vs the Go'uld ships.
Old 03-20-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by strife
They explained it already. They claimed was a meteor shower.
That was the excuse they gave for the loss of global communications.
Old 03-21-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, shit. I thought LAST week's episode was the season finale, so I didn't bother watching this week (as I figured it would be a rerun).
Old 03-21-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Well, shit.
Worry not. Reruns follow.

I'm not sure what to think of the new series. With the exception that the writing this season has sucked big time, there was nothing wrong with the old series.

The chemistry between the characters is what made the show, as demonstrated by Michael Shanks. Change one and the show just isn’t the same.