Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

top 5 sopranos episodes and why? (please tag spoilers)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. "whoever did this" this is the episode where probably the most happens. Also this is one of the most shocking episodes of the series.
Spoiler:
Ralphie gets whacked when you least expect it. i mean his kid was in the hospital, and he was depressed. He supposingly killed the horse, but Tony went ape shit when Ralph just said "its a ****in animal" also what was memerable was Tony and Christopher hacking off his body parts and stuffing them into a bowling bag

2. "the pilot" this one started it all. it stars out with a bang also, (I belive this has the most whackings as well)
3. Whitecaps" this episode easily had the best acting between James Gandolfini and Edie Falco.
4. "Funhouse"
Spoiler:
the one where they whack bigpussy. even though he was working for the feds, you cared about him when he got killed mainly because they had been friends since childhood.

5. "Pines Baren" the funniest episode of the series' run. Christopher and Paulie Walnuts bickering back and forward over
Spoiler:
losing the russian
was hilarious. directed by the great Steve Buchemi
Old 03-17-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
College is the best (from Season One)

Other goodies (although I won't rank them) are Funhouse, Pine Barrens, The Weight and Whitecaps.
Old 03-17-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

for some reason, i have never understood why College is the best of all the episodes. imo, this episode defines slow and borring. its mainly because father phil's thing with Carmella didn't excite me or enhance the episode. (this is coming from a fan of season 4, many of whom hate since it was slow and boring)
Old 03-17-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shannon,

The episode was good but everytime I see it I always cringe at how thin Jamie Lynn Sigler looks. That was filmed when she was going through her annorexia...It's very hard to watch

I agree Pine Barrens it's the funniest.."Mix it with mustard and ketchup"

I also like the on where Paulie and Big p***y are in a Starbucks and Paulie is upset beacuse there selling cappicone's and he thinks Americans are "raping" his Italian culture so he steals a mug from the display case..

..The one where Sylvio Dante does his Al Pacino's impressions for the guys.."He's on a roll now"

When Dr Melfi has to go into hiding in a hotel

Dr Melfi: "I can't just leave I have patients to tend to"
Tony: "They won't feel any better about themselves if you get whacked"

I agree the first show really set the tone for the whole series. David Chase nailed it dead on

I love when Carmela is running through the dining room with an AK-47?? looking for the burglar. Best line of the first show was by AJ: "What No F@%$&n Ziti???"

Last edited by shanester; 03-17-04 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-17-04, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the best line of the show was in the first season (I think) when Jr said "I got the Feds so far up my ass I'm tasting Bril Cream".
Old 03-17-04, 06:43 PM

1. College - Perfectly captures what the show is about. Tony trying to balance the needs of his real family and the needs of his crime family. The interaction between Tony and Meadow is funny, honest, and well acted. Carmela opens her heart to Father Phil and discusses some of the horrible feelings she feels as a result of Tony's work. As if the episode wasn't good enough, we are treated to
Spoiler:
Tony's brutal strangling of the informant

2. Whitecaps- All of Tony's past marital indiscretions come back to bite him in the ass when
Spoiler:
Carmela decides that it's time to separate after getting a lewd phone call from Irina
. The fight between Carmela and Tony is written in a completely realistic way, and features some of the best acting work Gandolfini and Falco have ever done.

3. Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood- The viewer follows the FBI's repeated attempts to plant a bug in the Soprano home. Lighter than most episodes, fast paced, and funny. Even the music used is playful. The mixture of the Peter Gunn theme with The Police' s " Every Breath You Take " is a nice touch. Elvis Costello's " High Fidelity " plays over the end credits.

4. University- An episode that reminds the viewer that Tony and his crew are not people to get too attached to. Despite how fun it is to follow them throughout their daily lives, they're still bad men. We follow a stripper at the Bada Bing! named Tracee as she's used, abused, and exploited as if she were a piece of meat.
Spoiler:
She is ultimately beaten to death by Ralph after an argument. The only punishment Ralph recieves from this action is a bloody mouth from Tony. Tracee's murder is covered up and she is forgotten
. Life for these men goes back to normal as if nothing ever happened. Great guys, huh ? The inclusion of The Kinks' " Living On A Thin Line " is the best use of music ever for this show.

5. Toodle F#$&*^g Oo- The entrance of the baddest mofo to ever appear on The Sopranos....Richie Aprile. Played to perfection by David Proval. He's a pitbull just released from prison after 10 years. Hoping to start his illegal dealings right back up again, he resents the fact that Tony is now the boss. Thus begins the power struggle between Aprile and Soprano that spans the second season.
Old 03-17-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Supreme Sean
1. College - Perfectly captures what the show is about. Tony trying to balance the needs of his real family and the needs of his crime family. The interaction between Tony and Meadow is funny, honest, and well acted. Carmela opens her heart to Father Phil and discusses some of the horrible feelings she feels as a result of Tony's work. As if the episode wasn't good enough, we are treated to
Spoiler:
Tony's brutal strangling of the informant
might actually rent disc 2 next week of season 1 to see if my mind has changed over this episode.
Old 06-07-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ah what the hell, i'd think i'll bump this up since season 5 is over. i'd add "long term parking" to the list.
Old 06-07-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
In no particular order:

I Dream of Jeannie Cusamano (Season 1)
Spoiler:
Very explosive finale. Jimmy Altieri is whacked because they think he's wearing a wire. Tony finds out about his mother and Uncle Junior, which almost leads to Tony killing his own mother, only to find out she's had a stroke. Also Junior is arrested and Artie Bucco confronts Tony about the fire in his restaurant.

Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood (Season 3)
Spoiler:
FBI successfully plants a bug in Tony's house.

Pine Barrens (Season 3)
Spoiler:
Chris and Paulie get lost in the woods. Classic.

To Save Us From Satan's Power (Season 3)
Spoiler:
It's Christmas time and memories of Big Pu$sy come into mind when it's time for someone to fill Santa's suit. How about Meadow's gift to Tony?

The Army Of One (Season 3)
Spoiler:
I think this is my favorite episode. Jackie Jr. gets what he deserves, the foundation for Adriana wearing a wire is set, AJ has his first panic attack, and Junior sings that beautiful song in Artie's restaurant with just about the entire clan in attendance.

I guess I just like season 3

Last edited by DeanoBKN; 06-07-04 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-07-04, 11:38 PM
Suspended

Well there's too many I like to pick just 5, but my all time favorites are the first one if anything just for the guy getting run over in the window And also one part that always stuck in my mind above every other episode was just the scene with Big ***** crying in the bathroom when he was at AJ's party, cuz of the whole wearing the wire thing.
Old 06-08-04, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Now that Season 5 is over, I think "Long Term Parking" should find a place on this list somewhere - the best episode in Season 5.