Questions on The Shield, from someone who stopped after ep. 1

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the Michael Chiklis character still the main star of the show? Did he ever get busted for killing a cop, or is the show all about the trials and tribulations of the poor cop killer, who is just trying to make a dishonest buck?

I watched the first episode of this (or the pilot, can't remember which) and it completely floored me. I thought the character was going to be rough around the edges, and maybe even a little bit corrupt, but they would use his unorthodox methods to catch the bad guys. Instead, he IS the bad guy...

To me, this show is celebrating his corruptness, and the killing of the cop, etc. Sure, there are shows and movies where the criminal is the main star, but that is different from having a multi-season TV show following a cop who has killed another cop, deals drugs, robs people, etc.
Old 03-16-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Questions on The Shield, from someone who stopped after ep. 1

• littlefuzzy •

To me, this show is celebrating his corruptness, and the killing of the cop, etc.
Wait ... you stopped watching after the final frame where he shoots the mole, and you've come to this judgment about the content of the show?

In short, Chiklis is the primary star (among a very strong ensemble) and ... you're pretty much wrong about everything else.

das
Old 03-16-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Questions on The Shield, from someone who stopped after ep. 1

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
To me, this show is celebrating his corruptness, and the killing of the cop, etc. Sure, there are shows and movies where the criminal is the main star, but that is different from having a multi-season TV show following a cop who has killed another cop, deals drugs, robs people, etc.
You garnered all of that by watching one episode?

Your first paragraph contained a question, but your second and third paragraphs make it seem like you've already made up your mind and are just looking to either start a fight or to tell people that they're wrong for watching the show...

But to answer your question, yes he is the main star of the show. His character is a lot deeper than you give him credit for though.
Old 03-16-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you'll learn that he has a family, cares for his kids, makes sure the area he does is safe, and get drug dealers off the street.
Old 03-16-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
Did he ever get busted for killing a cop, or is the show all about the trials and tribulations of the poor cop killer, who is just trying to make a dishonest buck?
The answer to your question is that there is gray area between the two black/white options you provide here. The show thrives in that gray area, much to the joy of those of us who enjoy nuanced writing and multi-dimensional characters.
Old 03-16-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He does bad things, but you are constantly afraid he will get caught. In fact, it seems like a main theme of the show is how he is always one step away from having it all blow up in his face but he always seems to manage to eke his way out of every jam. It adds to the tension of the show, since not only is he going after bad guys but he also must outwit his superiors in order to protect his methods.
Old 03-16-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The great thing about it, though, is that he's not truly getting out of every jam. With each major mess he gets out of, he loses a little bit more of himself, in his home life and in his relationships with other detectives and friends and of course in his soul. Mackey's really one of the best written and acted characters on television.

das
Old 03-17-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
littlefuzzy, also thinks that Hannibal Lector is a bad person. Lets not forget how many bad people are in The Godfather or The Sopranos.

Jack Ryan had it right, "there isnt a grey area, only black and white." But unless you can see who/what a person is, then saying they are bad/wrong is just stupid.
Old 03-17-04, 10:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Wow, almost as bad as that guy who named "The Shield" in the "Worst Show in History" thread.
Old 03-17-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
After the first two episodes of season three this is now my favorite show. I love how there is no black and white on the show everyone has some dirt.
Old 03-17-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

question regarding a season 2 episode
Spoiler:
in one scene, Danny confronts Mackey since she thinks that he gave a prisiner a knife to kill amadellio. did he give one to that prisiner, or was that just what Danny thinks. I missed the episode that Amadellio was killed. also did they end the storyline where Danny was being harrassed by the widow?
Old 03-17-04, 11:19 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Rypro,

Spoiler:
Shane and Lem gave the knife to the prisoner, who did it because he wanted to go back to prison (business was much better for him on the inside).

As for the Danny vs. Widow storyline, it just disappeared. In the deleted scenes on the DVD there's a scene where the Widow's car is vandalized and it's strongly implied that Danny is responsible and that the Widow is going to back off.
Old 03-17-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
so it seems like the producers just decided to stop with Danny vs. the Widow and move to something else without paying it off.
Old 03-17-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The last few episodes of season one were the best I've ever seen from a cop show.
Old 03-17-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Offhand, I'm always wondering when Vic actually has time to sleep. It seems like there's never an end to anything (esp. when his family comes up) or something else. He very rarely looks really tired either -- something I'd kinda expect.