Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol 2/24/04

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by briank
Just because you SCREAM louder, people cheer louder and made Paula and Randy give a standing ovation?!

..........probably just me I guess.
You aren't alone on that.

I didn't think anyone from tonight's group was particularly special. Good voices, better than last week, but utterly forgettable.
Old 02-24-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by shanester
Anybody else notice "Rueben" from Hawaii didn't actually sing???

He was sort of mouthing his words that perfomance was awful
He has just been ok from day one. Not sure how he made it this far.

Latoyah was the best of the night.
Old 02-24-04, 09:02 PM

Latoyah was the best by far tonight. Even the crowd thought so. And whether you believe it or not it is the hair that is holding Amy back. She said she watched the show faithfully last season. If that were true what happened to the last contestant with outrageously dyed hair?! Plus I have my doubts that she is really 24. She looks much older.
Old 02-24-04, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by shanester
Anybody else notice "Rueben" from Hawaii didn't actually sing???

He was sort of mouthing his words that perfomance was awful
Did you notice that he stopped in the middle of his song to catch his breath? When I saw that I knew it was over for him.
Old 02-24-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts
I think it'll be Latoya and Elizabeth. It's unfortunate because this group had way more talent than last week. I think Amy was good as was the 2nd to last chick, but they didn't get he luck of the draw.
Old 02-24-04, 10:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I predict Latoya and Amy move on, but we'll see several of the contestants in the Wild Card round.

Looks like it's over for Mormon Dude #1 (Pen Salesman), but perhaps Mormon Dude #2 (Art Garfunkel) will fair better next week.
Old 02-24-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked Amy the best. The pink-haired girl wasn't bad either, but her face bothers me, its like a combination of Jay Leno and Bea Arthur. I don't see the big deal about Latoya. My wife and I were joking that someone stabbed her halfway through her song which is what made her start screaming. Then they go and say she was great.
Old 02-24-04, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Jeraden
I liked Amy the best. The pink-haired girl wasn't bad either
Amy was the pink-haired girl.
Old 02-24-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by LBCrazyFool
to Elizabeth winning it all. I hope Jon Peter Lewis comes out of this round as well, I don't care too much for that Amy chick...
My thoughts pretty much exactly. I will say that I think Jon Peter Lewis has the most charisma of any second round contestant on American Idol.
Old 02-24-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Overall, a pretty strong group.

My 1st tier:

Amy - I like her tone better than Latoya.
Latoya - I don't like her tone, and she basically just sang/shouted the same line over and over again.
Eric - A dark horse, but a solid voice.

My 2nd tier

Leah - she sang like she was out of breath on many notes.
Elizabeth - wrong song for her.
Jon - bizarre phrasing, too bizarre for me.
Charly - nice personality, so-so voice
Jonah - out-classed totally by the rest of the group.
Old 02-24-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I'm surprised more people weren't impressed with Latoya. She came out of nowhere and just blew me away. I don't even like that song, but she gave me goosebumps. Hubby & I were like "Just give the whole thing to her now."

I didn't care for anybody else. I was disappointed in Elizabeth, I had liked her in the audition round much better. She needs to fire whoever advised her to wear that unflattering outfit. The too-short skirt combined with the odd length boots made her legs look downright chucky even though she has a cute shape.

That Hawaiian dude just talked throught hte whole song. I was like "Is this Klymaxxx?" Halfway through his song I told my husband he reminds me of the fat Hawaiian Punch pitcher thingy (or was that Kool-Aid?)

The pen salesman guy had a horrible stage presence. He acted like he was reading the lyrics from a teleprompter and had this scared, deer in the headlights look. I thought it was funny how everyone started clapping when he reached the chorus of "Tiny Dancer". It was as if the crowd was going "Oh, wait, I DO know this song!"

I think this group of contestants was helped out by the fact that all of them sanfg more recognizable songs. Last week I was scratching my head at some of the choices they made.

I thought that Labelle chick (Leah?) was a horrible singer. Sure, she looks good, but the voice was painful to listen to.

I don't see what the fuss is about Amy. She was pretty blah to me.
Old 02-24-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Latoya blew everyone away. She was in a totally different class from the rest tonight. That's my opinion not swayed by what the judges said. That's a performance as opposed to the others who were doing a karoake act. Save the best for last.

The girl before Latoya wasn't very good. Her voice was all over the place. Trenyce did a much better job with "I Have Nothing" last season.

The Hawaiian Reuben was the best of the guys. Kind of soulful.

The pink haired girl was pretty good.

Elizabeth picked the wrong song. Why must everyone do a Celine Dion or Whitney Houston song?

Mr. Pen Salesman ruined "Tiny Dancer."
Old 02-25-04, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by Jadzia
Wow, I'm surprised more people weren't impressed with Latoya. She came out of nowhere and just blew me away. I don't even like that song, but she gave me goosebumps. Hubby & I were like "Just give the whole thing to her now."

I didn't care for anybody else.

I thought that Labelle chick (Leah?) was a horrible singer. Sure, she looks good, but the voice was painful to listen to.

I don't see what the fuss is about Amy. She was pretty blah to me.
I completely agree with you. If you weren't already married I'd ask you myself.

To me when that Labelle girl was singing it sounds like a hint of an accent wanted to come out. And what is up with her mother and that hair?!

By the way it's Kool-Aid Man who is the pitcher guy you were thinking of. Punchy is the spokesperson for Hawaiian Punch.
Old 02-25-04, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Jeraden
I liked Amy the best. The pink-haired girl wasn't bad either, but her face bothers me, its like a combination of Jay Leno and Bea Arthur.
Oh God, that is so funny!
Old 02-25-04, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When they were showing the clip of Jon practicing his rendidtion of "Tiny Dancer" I was thinking oh god I hope he doesn't actually perform it like that!... and then he did He has a decent voice, and I love Tiny Dancer, but his rendition was terrible.

Brian
Old 02-25-04, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Some thoughts on tonight's show:

LaToya - can sing, but goosebumps? Yes...but in entirely the wrong way. Started very good. But.... Maybe its just the time limit, but the jump in dramatics was entirely uncalled for. It was the kind of manuever that really bugs me...more interested in showing off your voice than selling the song. In a weird way, it reminded me of an Adam Sandler acting performance. Quiet followed by a shocking increase in volume. Scared the living daylights out of me. We now have a winner for the first American Idol contestant to "jump the shark" in the duration of one song.

Jon - While I like the tone of his voice (sort of reminds me of Paul Heaton of the Housemartins and the Beautiful South), he has the stage presence of a lobotomy patient.

Amy - Good personality, hair doesn't bother me, good voice. But...please...please...PLEASE!! No more Celine Dion..please {whimper}. BTW, she does seem much older than 24. Kind of strikes me as the mother of both Cyndi Lauper and Kelly Osborne.

Jonah - Can't wait to debate my wife on this. She said he was one of the best of the night....ugh! Good personality and his voice was better in auditions. But this performace brought me back to last week. Second worst of the night.

Leah - Another week two reject. Looks okay but her singing made me cringe. A bad drug that gave me Roman bros. flashbacks.

Eric - While I love the Five Satins, it was a terrible song selection for this stage of the game. Good voice but it just didn't leave much room to impress.

Elizabeth - "I don't want to be known as a singer who dances. Just as a singer." So what better way to do that than sing a song about dancing! Pulled off Whitney ten times better than Leah (which is like saying China is bigger than Lichenstein). Good voice, but, ironically, the thing that weakened her perfomance was the lack of movement. A bit stiff. She came off much better in the group auditions. Still, I think she was the best of the night.

Charly - Suprisingly good voice, but bad song choice. If you're going to sing Aretha, you'd better have the soul to pull it off. Would like to see her try something from "Dusty in Memphis."

Would like to see Elizabeth and either Amy or LaToya move forward. Just scared that LaToya may put my pacemaker out of commission.
Old 02-25-04, 03:10 AM

There have been some poor song selections to date, but I don't know what Jonah was thinking. . . LaToya chose the perfect song which let her be dramatic and evoke strong emotions. Jon looked plain uncomfortable, though not nervous.

My predictions who'll go through:

LaToya
Eric
Old 02-25-04, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's pretty hard to sing a whole song in like 30 seconds. No wonder so many people crack under the pressue!

I agree with an earlier post ALL Celine Dion songs should be banned
Old 02-25-04, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another question is why do the female singers especially feel the need to sing a Celine,Whitney or Aretha song???..

They have tremendous range as it is and most established artists couldn't sing like them anyway let alone complete unknowns

I don't think it makes much sense to choose a song that is way out of your league?. They seem to think by choosing a hard song to sing vocally it gives them an advantage

We saw it again last night when Randy said to Leah "Whitney's tough man I thaught your performance was all right..dawg."

Why not choose a song that's more within your range??..This baffles me everyime

Cheers!
Old 02-25-04, 06:33 AM

I was liking Latoya alot before noticing that Randy and Paula were standing and clapping. I also think that her "humble" demeanor will help her.

I agree that Amy looks older than 24.

The dude from Hawaii did horrible.

Something about Elizabeth's thick legs and arms gave me the creeps.
Old 02-25-04, 07:38 AM

Close you eyes when Pen Salesman sings, and you'll see this:

Old 02-25-04, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I really wasn't impressed by Latoya's opening, it just didn't sound "right" to me, and the main reason she got the standing O was because of the finishing flourish, which didn't impress me as much as it did the others.

Also, Simon just wants a pretty face this time around, so he gives kudos to Leah, though she is not a natural singer, and her tone is hard to listen to for an extended period of time. Halfway through her song, I was wishing she was done with her song, but she kept singing and singing, her low end tones sounded strange to me.

For a dance instructor, Elizabeth was carrying some poundage on her, she did look chunky, plus the new hair cut and the clothes were a poor choice.

It was evident that Simon really doesn't want to see a pink-haired singer in the finals this season. He's more about style than substance, and so transparent about it.
Old 02-25-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
Justin Guarini would have won the first American Idol if early opinion was the same. Looking purely at sales of records, Justin has by far been the worst of the winner/runner-up Idols.

Latoya was good, but the true test comes when they have to mix up genres and stuff. That usually weeds out those who don't have strong voices and those that can only work in one genre. So, I hold my opinion on her until she has something other than a power ballad to perform.
Old 02-25-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was goofing on Latoyas name before she started to sing. Then I was sorta thinking it was a bad choice of a song for her then she just flat out nailed it and made the song her own. It's only the second time in all of these American Idol shows that I got goosebumps. The first was Kelly Clarkson.

My guess, she will be in the final two on the last show.
Old 02-25-04, 08:45 AM

Received 810 Likes on 526 Posts
I was hoping that Jonah would have performed "Tiny Bubbles"...

For me, I hope Latoya and Jon go through... while I didn't really like either's performance last night, I think they have a little more potential than the others.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.