TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Joan of Arcadia 2/20/04

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Joan of Arcadia 2/20/04

"Double Dutch"

Joan is told to befriend a girl named Casper, who spends most of her time jumping rope at a nearby urban playground. We find out that Casper lives in a homeless shelter while her father is away looking for work. After showing that Joan has some "mad skillz" at double dutch, she invites Casper to dinner, but as soon as Casper sees Will's badge, she bolts because she's freaked out that Will will report her to child protective services. Joan tries using fake utility bills and an out of service phone number to get Casper enrolled in her school, but this plan is thwarted by Price, forcing Casper to leave the school. Joan almost gets suspended for trying to help Casper, and finally tells her parents the deal with Casper's situation. Helen and Will offer their help in finding Casper a temp home while her father is trying to fix their situation. Joan later finds out that Casper leaves the shelter, supposedly in preparing for her father's return. Joan wants to know what happens to Casper, and God just tells her that it's more important to make that connection with Casper, and that sometimes it's better to plant the seeds of support and walk away and let it grow.

Rebecca gives Kevin an assignment to write a profile piece on a lady author who uses music to help with autistic children, and winds up on a one night stand with her (played by Meredith Monroe of Dawson's Creek fame). Rebecca isn't at all happy about this.

Adam phones in an art assignment (self-portrait) and Helen calls him on it, so Adam brings in another "self-portrait" that features photos of Helen's face in various sizes and pieces, and his own face in photos as well, all put together to produce a hurtful response out of Helen, and Helen gets it, and discusses with Adam that art is about discovering yourself and that expression isn't always pleasant, so while her reaction was felt strongly by her, it was the assignment that she asked Adam to do, so they are back to being okay.

Will has been working cold cases, and his shrink doesn't think he's ready for being out of the office. Will brings in Luke for a "father-child" day at the sherrif's office. Will feels a little embarrassed about being stuck on cold cases and has the head CSI show him all the new toys they get to play with in the CSI department, Luke wanted Will to go with him, but Will stays behind, thus disappointing Luke once again. During the day, Will solves 4 cold cases by finding the single thread that binds together the 4 murders/robbery cases. Will is eager to go pick up the perp but his boss has him stay behind while they go collar the perp. Luke is witness to this exchange and learns of Will's detective prowess, but Will is still embarrassed by his situation. Luke is mad about being sent away with the CSI guys and Helen and Joan show Will that Luke just wants some attention from him.

Will has a talk with Luke that brought tears to my eyes, they come to an understanding that it's the way Will's mind works, looking at cases like a puzzle to be solved, never knowing if there's an exact solution, always probing possibilities and probabilities, which is what Luke tries to do in his own scientific way. Will is blown away by his son's love for him, and the attention he sought from him, but only in his own way. Luke finally feels some of the love from his father that has so eluded him because his father never knew how to connect with him like he did with Kevin and sports, which was an easier "in" for Will to cultivate at the time. Luke asks his father if he'll take him out shooting at the range, well, because of ballistics and because he likes to blow things up, and Will confesses to liking the same.
Old 02-21-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like this episode. I hope we will find out what happen to Casper in a later episode.
Old 02-21-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I liked the episode The storyline with Luke and his father(no not THAT Luke and his father ) was very good.
Old 02-21-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought that Joan's story line was pretty strong, but I didn't really like the stuff with Adam and Joan's mom. The whole making him a great artist seems a little bit boring to me.
Old 02-22-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife really likes this show, while I can't get with it at all.
Old 02-22-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This atheist actually likes the show. But I thought this last episode was one of the weakest.
Old 02-22-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This was the first episode I didn't really like. Casper's forced "yo's" made me cringe.
Old 02-22-04, 04:59 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I liked the episode also.

The only thing I didn't like was the Helen/Adam part. The whole thing with his project was just creepy and felt out of place.

Meredith Monroe still looks great. I like her better as a brunette
Old 02-22-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
Meredith Monroe still looks great. I like her better as a brunette
Agreed,if Kevin was dumb enough to cheat on his co-worker least he picked someone worthwhile to do it with