Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friends 2/19

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Friends 2/19

I liked it. Toned down Monica, tourist Chandler, stupid Joey.
And I've always been a fan of Ross and Rachel. It was refreshing to see non-goofy Ross not take advantage of Rachel like that even if she was "giving him the advantage". My goodness my willpower would've wilted within .9 nanoseconds of that look that Rachel gave.
Old 02-19-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Joey is just too stupid to live at this point. He's got "Homer Simpson" disease I think.
Old 02-19-04, 11:04 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought the Phoebe and Joey stuff was funny.

Chandler after finding out the father might be a guy who killed his own father was great.

I didn't care for the Ross/Rachel stuff.
Old 02-19-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I got a total slut vibe from Rachel
Old 02-20-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Two of the three plots were good tonight.

Joey trying to speak French was idiotic. NAY, it was submoronic. Worse still, it wasn't the least bit funny. Then it finished with the milk-drinking. Ha ha.

I liked the Ross/Rachel bit best. It was sweet and Rob Leibman as Rachel's father is always welcome. I would've nailed her though.

The Shovel-Killer!

By the way, Chandler & Monica, the Statue of Liberty has been closed to the public since 9/11. Nice research.
Old 02-20-04, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought that was a pretty funny episode. I really liked the scene when Chandler thought the father might have been the father murderer.

So now there are only five episodes left and the last one doesn't air until the beginning of May. So, is all of March and most of April repeats?
Old 02-20-04, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
The Shovel-Killer!
"Is it the one we barely do, or the one we never do"
Old 02-20-04, 07:59 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I agree that the Joey speaking french was the worst plotline of the night, and I think the worst plotline in the history of the show.

I dislike rachel and ross as a couple, so I did not want them to get it on.

The shovel murderer was great...
Old 02-20-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
By the way, Chandler & Monica, the Statue of Liberty has been closed to the public since 9/11. Nice research.
Thanks for clearing that up - I was sitting there like "Isn't the Statue of Liberty closed?"

Ok episode though by the end I was like "Did anything happen?" I mean this was pretty much another filler episode except for a TINY bit of Ross & Rachel which will undoubtedly come back before May.

I think there are only 5 new episodes left. "The One With Princess Consuela" is next and then nothing but repeats until May I guess (the final four episodes).
Old 02-20-04, 08:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I usually like the Joey plotlines, but that French thing was ridiculous. :thumbsdown:
Old 02-20-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Joey drinking the milk was very LOL funny. I thought the French bit was amusing for the first 4 times it was done, then it got a bit tiresome, but I did enjoy the "my brother is retarded, be kind to him" bit that Phoebe used on the director.

Ross must be hung like a dinosaur because his snivelling personality isn't what's getting chicks into the sack with him.
Old 02-20-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Joey plot seemed very dumb, even for Joey. Was great to see Phoebe smart though. Wonder why the guys didn't crack jokes when Rachel spoke about "jumping" Phoebe for speaking French.

For the future, will this be the type of dumbed down sitcom plots for the "Joey" spin-off? I hope not.
Old 02-20-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I would have to agree with the general concensus about Joey's plot. Lately I've been loving his plots and disliking any Chandler/Monica plots they do, but last night's was definitely the opposite. Nice that Phoebe suddenly has a new-found skill, but that was just TOO stupid. Except the payoff with the director was a little funny. And the milk part was good. Chandler/Monica was funny tonight. Ross and Rachel's was okay. It's fine if they want to hook them up, but I hate that they are probably going to drag it out until the last possible second. Just hook up already!

X
Old 02-20-04, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by Chew

LOL. overall good ep
Old 02-20-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think Phoebe's newfound French speaking ability is just an offshoot of her real life marriage to a Frenchman.
Old 02-20-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not too bad an episode. Phoebe's French was actually really good, but the thing with Joey trying to speak was funny all of one time. After that, it was just annoying... they will really need to change the character for the spinoff.
Old 02-20-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't they done the Joey can't speak French plot before? I could have sworn that he's done that same thing with Chandler.

I liked the Ross and Rachel scenes. "I'm in Rachel Green's room"

I just love how Ross is afraid of Rachel's dad.

Pretty decent episode.
Old 02-20-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Joey drinking the milk was very LOL funny. I thought the French bit was amusing for the first 4 times it was done, then it got a bit tiresome....

A bit? Hilarious at first. Beaten into the ground after that. And so not funny because of it.
Old 02-20-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Chew
That has to be the best line of the episode. I thought this episode was funny overall. Joey trying to speak French was funny, but it became stupid after a while. IMO they saved that subplot by Phoebe saying he was her little retarded brother. When the director say "good job little buddy" I was psyched because that's exactly what I would say. I actually liked the part with Ross and Rachel, I am almost positive they will end up being paired together so it was nice to see. I also liked "I haven't had sex in four months, I should get a medal for that."
Old 02-20-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was actually:

"Is it the one we hardly ever do, or the one we never do?"

Re: the Statue of Liberty, when you say it's closed, do you mean the statue itself or liberty island altogether. Cuz I know for a fact my girlfriend was able to go on the island just last year. If that's the case, they can still buy souvenirs from some other place anyway right? Or was there a line I missed in the episode?
Old 02-20-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Re: the Statue of Liberty, when you say it's closed, do you mean the statue itself or liberty island altogether. Cuz I know for a fact my girlfriend was able to go on the island just last year. If that's the case, they can still buy souvenirs from some other place anyway right? Or was there a line I missed in the episode?
Here is a story that ran in USA Today about the issue not too long ago. And here is the Offical Parks Service explanation. I was too lazy to read them (I did read the USA Today article when it ran) so I can't answer your question, but I hope these links help clear up the issue.
Old 02-20-04, 11:16 AM

Yes.. for now, Liberty Island is OPEN, but the statue (and even the pedestal) is CLOSED. They may reopen the pedestal, but walking up to the crown may be permanently closed. Actually, before 9/11, the only way you could get to the crown was if you were on the FIRST ferry of the day to the island. Not a huge deal, though -- it's only a few small windows to look through -- but i suppose it is something that people feel like they should do.

In any case, the statue is great to look at -- especially up close -- but i find that Ellis Island is a GREAT place to look around and learn. It's actually a VERY interesting place where you can spend a few hours wandering around..

Back on topic -- my ReplayTV cut off the last few seconds. What exactly happened when Joey was talking about the milk? It cut out right after he spoke. I'm assuming he just downed a whole gallon right there?
Old 02-20-04, 11:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I thought this episode was absolutely terrible. Not sure what it is, but this show has lost all its humor as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-20-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Darq
What exactly happened when Joey was talking about the milk? It cut out right after he spoke. I'm assuming he just downed a whole gallon right there?
Pretty much. He tossed back the gallon and proceeded to drink it all, but most of it sloshed down his front and onto the floor. Phoebe then OKed it to be on his resume.
Old 02-20-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think those little half minute scenes that they show during the ending credits are the best part of the episodes lately.

They need to find who it is who writes those scenes and have him or her try to write an entire episode sometime.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.