TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mel Gibson Interview on PrimeTime:thoughts?

Old 02-17-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thought he did a good job considering the fact that he was more or less in a hot seat than an interview chair. He did come across as nervous, but this is possibly the film project of his life, so naturally he wants to convey his passion, I just think he did it a little too much.
Old 02-17-04, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So exactly how autobiographical was "Conspiracy Theory" for Mel?
Old 02-17-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Patman
So exactly how autobiographical was "Conspiracy Theory" for Mel?
Even though he didn't write the movie, I thought the same thing for half a second.
Old 02-17-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So who exactly is trying to drive a wedge between him and his father?

He made a number of odd comments which Dianne let slide.
Old 02-17-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Groucho
Not explicitly. But he did say he probably wouldn't be doing much acting, if any, in the future.
I was sad to hear him say that, since he has always been one of my favorite actors. I like his directorial efforts and I respect his opinion - it's his life to do what he wants w/ it, but I hope he decides to act again.
Old 02-17-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Billman
I just can't believe diane sawyer let that "people with bones through their noses" comment go.
Why, don't you believe that there are people who have bones through their noses?

Old 02-17-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know he mentioned that he has been slightly nuts in the past and has been in a hospital. I think he was prematurely released. He thinks god and holy ghosts helped him make his movie?? If he had said that aliens helped him make Signs, he would have been locked up and the key thrown away.
Tell that to Anne Heche.

Last edited by DGibFen; 02-17-04 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-17-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Eric F
So who exactly is trying to drive a wedge between him and his father?

He made a number of odd comments which Dianne let slide.
He said it was the press who were/are trying to drive a wedge between him and his father. He said he loves his father no matter what and then told Diane to let it go.
Old 02-17-04, 09:10 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Numanoid
Why, don't you believe that there are people who have bones through their noses?

I just think he could have used a less offensive term, like maybe "darkies"
Old 02-17-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there a transcript of this interview available? I'd like to read it -- although, based on the article in last week's Newsweek, I'm not too optimistic.

By the way, when you're referring to Janet Jackson, it's "baring her breasts," not "bearing her breasts."
Old 02-17-04, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by gkleinman
The tough thing is that most people who saw the interview are at a disadvantage because they haven't actually seen the movie. I'm more interested in hearing what people have to say after people have actually had a chance to see the damn thing... Who knows what it is until the final cut is released next week.
From what I've heard/seen, people previewing the movie have stayed in their seats sobbing for over 30 minutes. Granted most of these people are probably Christians. I did here, however, that most Jews that saw the film said that they saw it as depicting ALL people for putting him on the cross. That's coming from those that have seen the film. Should be interesting.
Old 02-17-04, 09:16 AM

Anyone know if this interview can be found online anywhere?
Old 02-17-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by John-In-VA
Not that I really care, but just curious how you determined that these are the biggest taboos? Is there some sort of research or poll? Would bearing other body parts be less taboo?
Hey - I thought you were packing your bags and leaving the country?! I didn't mean to say they WERE the biggest taboos...I said the media (and many Americans) are TREATING them like they are.

Jesus could rip off Mary Magdaline's top, and I wouldn't even blink...

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 02-17-04 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-17-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know he mentioned that he has been slightly nuts in the past and has been in a hospital. I think he was prematurely released. He thinks god and holy ghosts helped him make his movie?? If he had said that aliens helped him make Signs, he would have been locked up and the key thrown away.

Also, what was the comment he made about people with bones through their noses?? What does that mean??
Well, they'd have to lock me up with millions of other believers. I imagine most Christians believe that God works directly in their lives in some way. I believe I accomplish my goals with the help of God.

I guess I'm frickin' insane then. Well lock me up.
Old 02-17-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DodgingCars
Well, they'd have to lock me up with millions of other believers. I imagine most Christians believe that God works directly in their lives in some way. I believe I accomplish my goals with the help of God.
That's what I thought he was trying to get across, too. I don't see how it could be misunderstood.
Old 02-17-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought it was fantastic. No way you'd ever hear any other Hollywood mega-star talking so freely like that. Funny to hear him say, "Yes, there's lots of violence in it, and if you don't like that don't see it"--the type of line often used by more left-leaning types towards right-leaning types complaining of excessive sex, etc. in movies...
Old 02-17-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I agree. People who otherwise didn't care will go simply due to the controversy. Like me. Although I don't really understand why some people have gotten so upset, I will want to see it just because people are upset over it

It will be interesting to see what happens when the film hits theaters. The way things are tracking now, I'm sure it'll open at #1. I wouldn't have guessed that a year ago.
Old 02-17-04, 02:25 PM

I just think he could have used a less offensive term, like maybe "darkies"

Or, of course he could have been referring to isolated peoples who have never been exposed to Jesus, or even heard of him, and speaking about their chances of getting to Heaven, which btw are good, as Mel stated.

Or he could have meant "blackies" as you so eloquently put it.
Old 02-17-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's getting too old for this [email protected]# !!
Old 02-17-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Decker
It's his oh-so-politicallly-correct reference to the indigenous peoples of the world who do not follow the teachings of the church. They too can get into heaven! (It's just a lot harder for them )
I didn't understand this quote at all. If he believes 100% in the Bible as a Christian, he should know that the only way into Heaven is through Jesus. The only requirement to get into Heaven is that you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord & Savior and follow Him with all your heart.

Unfortunately, there's no other way into Heaven from a Biblical perspective. However, IMHO, it's a worthy price to pay for an eternal life in Heaven vs. one in Hell.

As a side note, just cuz one says that he/she is Christian/Catholic/etc. doesn't mean that he/she really is one. Therefore, nominal Christians/Catholics aren't going to Heaven.
Old 02-17-04, 03:43 PM

It was kind of interesting, but a lot different than I expected:

1. Mel Gibson is a lot shorter in real life than he appears in the movies.

2. I thought Diane Sawyer was supposed to be doing the interview, but she was a no-show?

3. I guess we have to wait until next week to find out which girl he chose?
Old 02-17-04, 04:00 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 02-17-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amen, brother.

I see God working in my life every single day.
Old 02-17-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was kind of interesting, but a lot different than I expected:

1. Mel Gibson is a lot shorter in real life than he appears in the movies.
Most actors are much shorter in real life, most notably Sylvester Stalone who I hear is around 5'5" or so.
Old 02-17-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unfortunately, there's no other way into Heaven from a Biblical perspective. However, IMHO, it's a worthy price to pay for an eternal life in Heaven vs. one in Hell.
Gee, uh, er. Yah, there's open mindedness for you.

And people wonder why others might be a little nervous about the response some might have to this film...

Last edited by Eric F; 02-17-04 at 04:21 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright İ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.