Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Question: DirecTV vs digital cable, TiVO and HD

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-04, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question: DirecTV vs digital cable, TiVO and HD

Im planning to buy an HDTV soon, and Im also considering what service I want to provide my HD programming. Currently Im using digital cable with a DVR on a standard def TV. The easy cheap route is to just keep digital cable and get the HD receiver through them...but I dont think they have HD receivers that are also DVRs...and after getting used to being able to do that, I dunno if I can give it up .

So Ive been looking at DirecTV with TiVO. But from what I can tell, the HD TiVOs are either not out yet or very expensive. So its looking like I have to choose between HD and TiVO. Aside from that, I would like to get a decent but cheap OTA tuner so that I can get my local HD channels (two of my local affiliates do a lot of in house HD broadcasts, plus they air all of the NCAA tournament games on their digital channels ).

So whats my best route? Considering Im gonna be blowing a big wad on an HD set, Id like to keep the equipment expense down, but I get the feeling that will be hard to do if I go with satellite. It doesnt help that Im completely clueless to satellite, so is there a good site on the web for a newbie to satellite? Thanks!
Old 02-12-04, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's two sites to check out:

http://www.avsforum.com/
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
Old 02-12-04, 06:11 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
the HD DirecTivo will be 999.

You will still in all probability need an antenna to pick up the local HD channels unless you have waivers.

The Dtivo includes an OTA tuner so that it will record from the Antenna.
Old 02-12-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
What cable company are you with? Comcast (IIRC) has rolled out it's HDDVR in the LA area, Cox is now testing this in the OK area, I have heard Time Warner and AT&T have also started testing/introducing these in limited areas with a full roll out expected in the next month or two, this is what Cox in OKC is planning. Check with your cable provider and see how close they are to introducing this in your area.
Directivo HD is not out until March, so for now you have to wait. And with my cable co (Cox) the HDDVR is 2 tuner and I can rent it from them for about $5-10/mo instead of dropping another grand for expensive new technology (remember when cable modems were $300-500 2 years ago?)
Old 02-12-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah...actually right after posting this, I read on avsforums I believe in the thread for Raleigh area HDTV, that Time Warner (my cable provider) would be rolling out HD-DVRs in the near future. So if this happens, and especially if TWC finally ads ESPN HD soon, then I think I might have to go that route...Id rather spend my money on a nicer HDTV than a bunch of other equipment. Aside from ESPN HD, the only other reason for me to get DirectTV is for NFL Sunday Ticket (which I probably wouldnt get anyhow) and WB and UPN in HD (our local affiliates are owned by Sinclair, and Sinclair is dragging a$$ on getting HD transmission going in Raleigh, which is quite ironic since when I used to work at the WB station, Sinclair made us run a 3 part series during news on HDTV).

Im assuming these new HD DVRs will be able to record both HD and SD, and will have a LOT more storage space? Any new features?
Old 02-13-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy

The Dtivo includes an OTA tuner so that it will record from the Antenna.
Really? Thats an enhancement over the current Dtivo thats for sure. That would be pretty cool then I could unsubscribe from locals on Dtv.
Old 02-13-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, the new HDTiVo includes 4 tuners. Two OTA and two DTV. You can only use 2 at a time, however.
Old 02-13-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
The HDDVR from the cable companies will be able to record HD and SD. Obviously it'll record less HD, I think I heard 'up to 10 hours of HD', but it can record more SD [depending on what model your local cable co. uses].

I've got both an HD box and a DVR box hooked to the same tv [yeah, kinda redundant, but we only have one HDTV, and it's the 'main' tv where I use the DVR the most] and I actually find myself using the DVR a LOT more. But that's also based on my schedule--by the time we get home, get the baby settled, and do house stuff, it's 2100 at night. I need to watch tv when *I* want to. So I am very interested in the HD/DVR, and in fact wrote TWC/NC 2 or 3 emails expressing that interest.

True, it'd be nice if TWC' offered WB/UPN in HD, and while I really liked Dish Network when I was with them, TWC has made HD much easier and much cheaper than either satellite company. And they do offer a relative lot of HD--4 or so locals, Disc, HBO/Show [if you get HBO/Show], and the 4 InHD/HDNet things. I got a flyer for that last one, but I'm not really interested in watching Square Pegs in glorious HD ; ).

Another good source for satellite info is http://www.dbstalk.com
Old 02-13-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Here is a good FAQ:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=151443
Old 02-13-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Up to 10 hours doesnt sound too good, especially since I like to keep an episode of a show like 24 saved until the next one airs. dtcarson, so are you paying for both an HD box and a DVR box? How much extra is that? The only problem I really have with the TWC DVR boxes is that the storage space is so small...and I cant exactly go and add a bigger hard drive to a box that I dont own.
Old 02-14-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The new HDTiVo is supposed to have a 250g harddrive and can hold up to 30 hours of HD programming.
Old 02-14-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
The new HDTiVo is supposed to have a 250g harddrive and can hold up to 30 hours of HD programming.