TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Xena: Warrior Princess

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-04, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xena: Warrior Princess

Who likes Xena??

I read the review here on this site and I like it!!! It's one of my favorite series!!
I'm glad to see that the Season Three DVD is hitting the streets on Feb. 10th ...I'll buy it on the day of the release...heheehe
It's cool, because I'll watch Xena digitally re-mastered (yes, it makes difference!) everyday, and with lots of bonus and features...

Anyone else into Xena??
Old 02-09-04, 12:59 AM

big thumbs up from my wife and I.
Old 02-09-04, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I have all the season's from R2-a very underrated series-easily comparable to BTVS.
Old 02-09-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree, it's an underrated series by most. I started watching somewhere towards the end of season 1 (and later caught most of what I missed in reruns) and continued watching until it went off the air. Now I'm picking up the seasons as they come out and loving it all over again. I hope you enjoy season 3, it's got some of my favorite episodes from the entire run in it.
Old 02-09-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As you might guess by my user name, I too am a Xena fan. Can hardly wait for season three to come out - almost there!
Old 02-10-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PB loves Xena and mostly Gabrielle.
Old 02-10-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by POWERBOMB
PB loves Xena and mostly Gabrielle.
Old 02-11-04, 09:16 AM

Why is season 1 $80?
Season 2 is about $60, but season 3 is only $48???

These prices come from Amazon...

edit:

Ok, I see Overstock.com has them for $53.19, $41.59, and $41.59 respecitvely...

Why is Amazon so much higher???

Last edited by potvin48; 02-11-04 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-11-04, 09:36 AM

FYI, they're around ~$45 each at Best Buy (I think season one was around that price- I can't seem to find it searching at bestbuy.com) and they have exclusive content for each season that's not available elsewhere. Season one has a 30 min. doc about the making of S1, S2 had a 30 min interview with Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Connor and S3 has another 30 min interview feature (haven't watch it yet so I'm not sure exactly with who) plus an extended cut of the episode 'Sacrifice II'.
Old 02-11-04, 08:20 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Re: Xena: Warrior Princess

Originally posted by somenoise
I read the review here on this site and I like it!!!
Does that mean you like the reviews as well (or just the series)?

I just got season three in and any input in what fans want to see in the review will be considered. Thanks!
Old 02-12-04, 02:51 PM

Re: Re: Xena: Warrior Princess

Originally posted by Houstondon
I just got season three in and any input in what fans want to see in the review will be considered. Thanks!
One thing I was disappointed in the Season 2 set that I didn't see mentioned in the review was that the 'video' commentaries were edited down to last only about half the time of the episode. Thus, the only way to hear the full commentary is through the 'audio' commentary option.

Sadly, they continued this on season 3. I would've loved to be able to watch an entire episode, then watch the video of the stars watching themselves as they give the full commentary. But this way means you have to 1) watch the episode 2)watch it again with commentary on and then 3) watch half the episode again with the video footage if you want to see & hear ALL the extras.

But as a plus, for season three they've added 7-8 min. interviews for many (every?) episodes (I've only checked the first two discs and there were interviews for all the shows on those- hopefully they did it for all). The ones I've watched so far are all great and informative about the given episode- probalbly most of the interesting facts and thoughts that would've been found in a full audio commentary are mentioned in these short interviews. Very nicely done.

So far, I've only watched disc 1 and looked for what extras were on disc 2, but (aside from the shortened video commentaries) I'm very happy with this set so far and I hope they keep up with the 'Interview' extras for the rest of the seasons.
Old 02-12-04, 03:02 PM

I'm a BTVS fan, and picked up the first season box set of Xena. I didn't like it at all, and sold it on eBay shortly after I watched it. Don't see how you can compare the two. Buffy's a smart, intelligent show. Xena's not -- at least Season 1 wasn't.
Old 02-12-04, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by otmetrud
Don't see how you can compare the two. Buffy's a smart, intelligent show. Xena's not -- at least Season 1 wasn't.
Actually, I'm a fan of both but Xena has a lot more "camp" and slapstick and is not always grounded in our reality (with regards to both physics and history ) so I can see why some people may not like it. But, like Buffy it also can become very dramatic as well. Both shows took chances and didn't limit themselves to being just a Drama or a Comedy (or musical ) and I respect that in both.

Xena is more episodic but it does have some powerful story arcs and there is some character development over the course of the show's entire run.

If I had to pick between the two, I'd go with Buffy as well. But Xena is still a highly enjoyable show with a few surprising moments of greatness.
Old 02-12-04, 07:51 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Re: Re: Re: Xena: Warrior Princess

Originally posted by Tscott
One thing I was disappointed in the Season 2 set that I didn't see mentioned in the review was that the 'video' commentaries were edited down to last only about half the time of the episode. Thus, the only way to hear the full commentary is through the 'audio' commentary option.
I looked into this and it was my understanding that the video commentaries included all the audio commentary, just with the video of the cast sitting down in comfy chairs, all in a condensed version. So while it didn't include showing the dead space when they weren't saying anything, it included all they spoke about. I'll keep this in mind though for the season three review, thanks!
Old 02-12-04, 08:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Xena: Warrior Princess

Originally posted by Houstondon
I looked into this and it was my understanding that the video commentaries included all the audio commentary, just with the video of the cast sitting down in comfy chairs, all in a condensed version. So while it didn't include showing the dead space when they weren't saying anything, it included all they spoke about. I'll keep this in mind though for the season three review, thanks!
There are definently comments missing from the video version of the commentaries. I watched all of them back to back with the audio on the season 2 discs and noticed several things were left out and even some comments were moved slightly around.

I haven't done this with season 3 yet, but I'm sure there's not over 20 minutes of "dead air" in each and every commentary. (The episodes are 44+ mins, the video commentary are 20+ mins.)
Old 02-13-04, 09:47 AM

Was there an episode with a nipple slip as Xena and Gabrielle were washing each other in a tub?

My buddies and I replayed this several times (this was about 6 years ago), and we're pretty sure that bad boy came above the water line, and were suriprised to see it on tv...It was Gabrielle's nipple that is in question.