Reload this Page >

CBS High Definition on DirecTV

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-28-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you guys hear that DirecTV is adding CBS high definition programming starting tomorrow morning? This means that it is in time for the Superbowl!

It is under the same terms as the HD CBS that has been on Dish Network. This means that not everyone will qualify to receive it.

You need to live in an owned and operated area or have a waiver I think.

I have a waiver and qualify for distant locals already so I think I'm good.

It looks like they are moving HDN Movies to channel 78 and having
the CBS feeds appear where HDNM was and also on channel 84.

This is huge news for me since I can't get HD OTA so I haven't seen CSI, King of Queens, Raymond, etc in high def yet.

They also are saying that DirecTV will be adding FOX soon in HD!
Old 01-28-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is good news, and timely too with the SuperBowl on Sunday. I'm a happy camper!
Old 01-28-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good news for me as my Green Bay affiliate is owned/operated by CBS.
Old 01-28-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I have wondered why Dish.Directv don't have all the networks in HD
Old 01-28-04, 07:58 PM

The main reason they don't carry all of them is they don't have the space (bandwith??) on the satellite to carry them. DirecTV only carries the local channels (non-HDTV) in a certain number of markets (50-100 I think). The HDTV channels take up 6X or 7X as much space I have heard (makes some sense).
Old 01-30-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CBS east and west feeds came on this morning for me on channels 80 and 81.

This means High Definition Super Bowl at my house this Sunday!
Old 01-30-04, 10:17 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Pity my HiDef DirecTivo won't ship till April..
Old 01-30-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Pity my HiDef DirecTivo won't ship till April..
Where did you order it from? VE?
Old 01-30-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't realise that those were available to order already.

Do mind if I ask how much they are?
Old 01-30-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nazz
I didn't realise that those were available to order already.

Do mind if I ask how much they are?
The pre-orders are listing at $999, but ValueElectronics is offering $100 off if you put down $100.

A grand may sound like a lot, but the early HD receivers were in the $500 range themselves. (Plus the HDTiVo has 250g worth of harddrive space).
Old 01-30-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Maybe I'm just blind, but despite having the greatest site design I've ever seen, I can't find the HD-DirecTivos on the valueelectronics site.

Can someone give a direct link please?
Old 01-30-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by juiio
Maybe I'm just blind, but despite having the greatest site design I've ever seen, I can't find the HD-DirecTivos on the valueelectronics site.

Can someone give a direct link please?
Actually, it's not even available on their main site. It's a deal to the readers of AVS or TiVo Community and you're supposed to link through them.

I don't think I can give you the direct link here.

You agree not to post any advertising, URL's with affiliate id's or tracking numbers or anything which actively promotes a site or company.

Last edited by Chew; 01-30-04 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-30-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah OK thanks. Found it on AVS.
Old 01-30-04, 01:39 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
Where did you order it from? VE?
Yup.

I thought the deal was extremely fair so no problem putting down the 100 dollar deposit.

Then i'll sell my 105 Hour Samsung to recoup some of the cost.
Old 01-30-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Yup.

I thought the deal was extremely fair so no problem putting down the 100 dollar deposit.

Then i'll sell my 105 Hour Samsung to recoup some of the cost.
Yeah, I have a 105 hour Hughes and a OTA HD receiver. If I'm lucky, I might be able to cut the discounted HDTiVo price in half by selling them.
Old 01-30-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish DirecTV had some kind of plan for bringing local channels in HDTV to people who don't live in an O&O area. Until then, I can't justify the purchase.

When it happens, though, I should be able to get around $700 for my old TiVo, based on current eBay prices.
Old 01-30-04, 02:13 PM
Suspended

Re: CBS High Definition on DirecTV

They also are saying that DirecTV will be adding FOX soon in HD!
Has FOX switched to HD Yet? As far as I can see they are only broadcasting in 480 16x9
Old 01-30-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For some reason, I can not receive either of the HD CBS channels. I pay extra for a the HD package, so I do not know why I would get some message that says to call customer service for ordering information.

Argh! I hate having to call them.
Old 01-30-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tjr2mental
For some reason, I can not receive either of the HD CBS channels. I pay extra for a the HD package, so I do not know why I would get some message that says to call customer service for ordering information.

Argh! I hate having to call them.
You can only get CBS HD if you have a HD Directv receiver of some kind AND-

- you live in NY or LA and subscribe to Directv's locals. NY subs get only the NY feed, LA subs get only the LA channel.

- you live in a market in which the CBS affiliate is owned and operated by CBS itself AND there is not a second nearby CBS affiliate enforcing demands for a waiver. Eastern & central time zone subscribers get the NY channel only, mountain & pacific subs get LA only.

- you get CBS distant network service from Directv. You can get this by qualifying for them under the SHVIA rules. Enter your address here to check against the address database -

http://directvdnseligibility.decisio...dressEntry.asp

If you do not qualify immediately, Directv can submit a form to your local(s) for a waiver on your behalf. It can take as long as 45 days to receive an answer, during which service will not be active for these channels. If you make it over this hurdle, BOTH NY & LA CBS HD channels are included along with their SD brothers for a mere $2 (going up to $2.25 on March 1).

I have no HD equipment, but I do have distant net service. FOX is also going to start this on Directv soon, so I am all set when I get my hands on a HDTV and a HD Directv box of some kind
Old 01-30-04, 10:21 PM

Man I hate this company more and more all the time. I go to there site, and it says "we will be automatically activating the CBS HD broadcast for eligible customers who reside in the following markets: Los Angeles, CA, New York, NY, Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA, San Francisco, CA, Boston, MA, Dallas, TX, Detroit, MI, Minneapolis, MN, Miami, FL, Denver, CO, Pittsburgh, PA, Baltimore, MD, Salt Lake City, UT, Austin, TX, or Green Bay, WI."

Well, damn_it... I live in the detroit area, and I will not be able to get the Super Bowl in HD. Why the hell did I spend 600 dollars on a HD receiver if all I get from them is 6 hd channels, and most of those are upconverted to HD. ARGH!

I called the customer service guy, and he was nice enough to put me on hold for 20 minutes while he did god only knows what. After asking my name, he switches me to some other guy who can tell me whether or not I will be able to get the HD broadcast of the Super Bowl. As i figured, I would not be able to receive it, as there is some third party group that holds the rights to be able to broadcast CBS as well as the main companys that DirecTV is working with. So, when I ask if anyone in the Metro Detroit area will be able to use DirecTV's signal to watch the Super Bowl in HD, he says no.

If you know that no one in Michigan will be able to see the damn_game in HD, take it off your f'n site, and stop telling people that they can get it. Hell, I work at best buy, and we got all kinds of sales because people heard that they would be able to watch the game in HD with DirecTV, but it seems that they will be some pissed off people, much like myself.

Last edited by tjr2mental; 01-30-04 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-31-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If there is another CBS affiliate delivering a "Grade-B-or-better" signal to your service address, there is nothing Directv or CBS can do about it. Dish Network is in the exact same position. Getting pissed at them accomplishes nothing. They must abide by the rules in the SHVIA, written in large part by your "friends" at the NAB.

Directv should be able to tell you which CBS affiliate in which city is causing the problem (most likely culprit : WTOL Toledo) or try the address checker linked above. Once you know this, you can "move" your service address to some place outside their reach but still inside the Detroit DMA, while keeping your billing address as it is. Problem solved.

Last edited by NC-36; 01-31-04 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-31-04, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: CBS High Definition on DirecTV

Originally posted by MJKTool
Has FOX switched to HD Yet? As far as I can see they are only broadcasting in 480 16x9
Not yet. It is "ED" until fall.
Old 01-31-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by NC-36
Once you know this, you can "move" your service address to some place outside their reach but still inside the Detroit DMA, while keeping your billing address as it is. Problem solved.
I have a feeling that DirecTV had a record number of subscribers "move" today.
Old 01-31-04, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by NC-36
If there is another CBS affiliate delivering a "Grade-B-or-better" signal to your service address, there is nothing Directv or CBS can do about it. Dish Network is in the exact same position. Getting pissed at them accomplishes nothing. They must abide by the rules in the SHVIA, written in large part by your "friends" at the NAB.

Directv should be able to tell you which CBS affiliate in which city is causing the problem (most likely culprit : WTOL Toledo) or try the address checker linked above. Once you know this, you can "move" your service address to some place outside their reach but still inside the Detroit DMA, while keeping your billing address as it is. Problem solved.
Only problem with this is all the zip codes that I tried have A or B rankings. I can not find anything in the area that does not have those listings. That is what upsets me. It is one thing to only be able to give it to a few people, but from the things that I am finding, no one will be able to use the CBS HD broadcast that is avilible.
Old 01-31-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a feeling that DirecTV had a record number of subscribers "move" today.
Ya think ?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.