Smallville -- "Asylum" 01.14.2004

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Asylum

Clark tries to prove Lex's sanity and prevent Lionel from forcing electroshock therapy on his son. Also, Lana meets a mysterious guy (Ian Somerhalder) in the hospital while recovering from her injuries; and Clark runs into former enemies who plan to steal his strength.
wow.

just wow.

Smallville was really getting on my nerves before the break, but this ep was Looks like the break did 'em some good.

Let's hope it keeps it up...
Old 01-14-04, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm so glad its back. My TV was gathering dust.

Easily the best show on TV right now. Next week's ep looks great too.
Old 01-14-04, 08:01 PM
Cool New Member

Wow.
That was the best hour of tv ever. I love the part where clark threw the switch. What a great show.
Old 01-14-04, 08:20 PM

best show on TV for sure!!!
Old 01-14-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty good episode.

Loved the Wonder Woman newspaper reference.
Old 01-14-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Chew
Pretty good episode.

Loved the Wonder Woman newspaper reference.
I tried to make it out, but couldn't in time. What did it say?
Old 01-14-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Themiscyran Queen" then the next line I can't make out because it's obscured, but the last few letters show "tican".
Old 01-14-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 216 Likes on 179 Posts
Decent ep. Nice little reunion of the freaks of the week. Everybody was able to make a nice little appearance in this episode and deliver a line or two.

I for one welcome a break between Lana and Clark.
Old 01-14-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, Lex is even shockingly more docile after what Lionel put him through in tonight's episode.

Clark has his rogue gallery put him through the paces as they plan a full assault on him at the mental health institution.

Plenty of angst on display tonight.

Lana finds a new friend, who pushes her to get through the physical therapy as she recovers from a shattered leg. She still harbors ill feelings towards Clark, and it's tearing him apart more than the rogue's gallery ever could.
Old 01-14-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I liked the episode, which Im glad about, because this whole season has really bothered me, after the momentum they built last years they just stalled this season.

At least now we're moving forward.

I had a hearty laugh at Clark walking through mental institute.
Old 01-14-04, 10:11 PM

what is the storyline behind jonathon taylor thomas? i missed his epioode/s...decent episode, entertaining anyway....good acting by lex.

oh and what was on the previews for next week? it didn't show it here.

thanks.
Old 01-14-04, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by xDareDevilx
what is the storyline behind jonathon taylor thomas? i missed his epioode/s...decent episode, entertaining anyway....good acting by lex.
He was a FotW a while back who could (as you saw) make a copy of himself. He was doing all sorts of extra curricular stuff at school (what with being two people and all) and had a scholarship for harvard. However, he was going to get a failing grade in shop class, so he killed the teacher (and was his own alibi). He then courted both Lana and Chloe at the same time (literally), then tried to kill them (for reasons I can't remember offhand. I think they found out what he was or something). Clark saved the the two girls and JTT's character got sent to the looney bin.

oh and what was on the previews for next week? it didn't show it here.

thanks.
Spoiler:
Clark goes blind. The preview hinted that he'd uncover that someone had betrayed him, and further hinted that he'd find out about the recent Chloe/Lionel alliance
Old 01-14-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
"Themiscyran Queen" then the next line I can't make out because it's obscured, but the last few letters show "tican".
It said "Themiscryan queen addresses the Vatican", I believe.
Old 01-14-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
clark: "Pete knows and that has turned out ok:

well that's because Pete is never on
on most shows a person with that small amount of screen time would not be listed in the opening title credits and would be really lucky to get in the credits they show after the first commercial
Old 01-15-04, 12:29 AM

It was cool to see some freaks from Clark's past in the asylum. I just wish they didn't compress that subplot down so much. Maybe they could have done a continuation with the two villains on the loose or something.

Lana subplot.. yawn.
Old 01-15-04, 09:51 AM

I thought this episode kind of sucked. I liked how they kept arching the show towards Clark's realization that he would have to become a hero and help save the world, but it seems like they are spinning these subplots too much. I did like the Lex/Lionel angle mostly because I think that Lionel's character is one of the best villians on TV now. The rest of it feels a bit tired.
Old 01-15-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I definitely liked seeing some old FotW. It was also nice to see Pete in the show for more than a couple of seconds.
Old 01-15-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Didn't care for this one, but at least they have some future storylines set up.

This could've been the most homoerotic episode yet, with Lex cradling Clark's face in his hands, the hug at the end, the Home Improvement kid and his twin killing the other FoTW while all 3 were sweaty and shirtless, etc.
Old 01-15-04, 11:54 AM

yeah good call meatpants...maybe the guy who directed jeepers creepers directed this episode.
Old 01-15-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did not know that a new show was on last night, it sounded like a fun show to watch.

My computer will be setup to record it next week.

Next weeks show from Yahoo TV:

"Whisper", Episode #310.
Clark is temporarily blinded but develops superhearing to compensate for his lack of sight.
Old 01-15-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 869 Likes on 632 Posts
I enjoyed this episode because.. it tied up a lot of loose ends and brings forward new beginnings.

Funny how everyone used to say that people who know about Clark's powers end up crazy or dead. At least, it killed most of the crazies this time around.

I think it was a strong episode. It's making Clark more of an investigative person now, too. Hopefully, there's a future episode where Pete just get's so frustrated with Clark, he takes some kryptonite just to beat the crap out of him for once.
Old 01-15-04, 04:23 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

It's nice that most, if not all, of the FOTW trifecta have been killed off. The writers have always needed to address that issue.

I've got a feeling that Lex knows more than he is letting on. And I hope Papa Luther pays for his crimes by Clark's hand. Clark really needs an mega-archvillian with a continuing storyline instead of the average FOTW villian.
Old 01-15-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
this will forever be known as the episode where smallville jumped the shark.

one too many clark/lana on-again off-again episode arcs.

lex's insanity coming from being institutionalized and experimented upon instead of the madness of understanding clark's secret.

lionel luthor going from being evil with a "compassionate" (even if it's just a mask) side to the devil incarnate.

i used to love this show, but this ep brought to a head all the problems i was having this season, and has pushed me to watch less.
Old 01-16-04, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by deadlax
this will forever be known as the episode where smallville jumped the shark.

Speak for yourself.

Good comeback episode after the break. I really wish WB would just wait a few more years and just do the Superman movie with Tom Welling. He's perfect in it.
Old 01-18-04, 04:25 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
great episode except for Lana who along with Marissa from the OC is vying for the most annoying witness bint on tv !

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.