NBC and the concept of TIME

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So...last night i'm watching Fear Factor.

8:50...it's still on...

8:55...it's still on...

9:00...it's still on...

9:05...it's still on...

9:10...the credits finally roll...

Now...I know there's been ranting about NBC's practice of starting shows at xx:59. And I know they sometimes "supersize" shows [usually the Thursday night shows]. However, during the NUMEROUS promos for FF, there was NO MENTION WHATSOEVER that FF would be an extra 10 minutes.

That shit cut into my Trish time, man...

F'n NBC.

AND while i'm at it..

NBC moved Ed to Fridays due to the Apprentice taking its slot, right..?

So why do I keep seeing promos for the show on Thursdays..? They had a promo for the Wednesday night lineup, but it only mentioned the West Wing & Law & Order. Hell, it didn't even mention what time they both started. Yes, i'm sure most people already know what time they're on, but still. Other networks at least say "...starting at XX:00" or whatever..

F'n NBC.
Old 01-13-04, 06:43 PM

I don't know if the extra 10 minutes for FF were in TV Guide or not but FF was shown to be 1:10 on my TIVO guide. However, FF only lasted about 1:08 and the first 2 minutes of Las Vegas were on the end of FF. Luckily I Tivo'd them both or I would have missed the first 2 minutes of LV.

I am becoming further convinced that NBC is doing this to piss off TIVO users and forcing us to watch their shows live. (not that I will ever go back to live TV).

I hate NBC and their new times.
Old 01-13-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by apeyard
I don't know if the extra 10 minutes for FF were in TV Guide or not but FF was shown to be 1:10 on my TIVO guide. However, FF only lasted about 1:08 and the first 2 minutes of Las Vegas were on the end of FF. Luckily I Tivo'd them both or I would have missed the first 2 minutes of LV.

I am becoming further convinced that NBC is doing this to piss off TIVO users and forcing us to watch their shows live. (not that I will ever go back to live TV).
All the more perplexing since NBC is a TiVo partner (and the only noncable network to be one):

http://www.exn.ca/Stories/2000/01/26/03.asp
Currently, according to Baer, the only traditional, non-cable network that has partnered with TiVo is NBC. The balance of TiVo's partners are made up of cable channels such as HBO, ShowTime, Encore, and the Discovery channels... [/b]
The story's kind of old but NBC is still a partner.
Old 01-13-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK. At the risk of committing a , just what the HELL are you doing watching Fear Factor in the first place?
Old 01-14-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
So that's why I missed the first 2 minutes of Las Vegas.
Old 01-14-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw those promos for The Apprentice on Thursday as well, even though my guide says we got the usual Thursday night lineup...Im gonna be pretty pissed if I dont get Scrubs for the second week in a row.
Old 01-14-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Wizdar
OK. At the risk of committing a , just what the HELL are you doing watching Fear Factor in the first place?
Well...it's not as bad as...say, reminding people when the Surreal Life II was on...
Old 01-14-04, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by Wizdar
Fear Factor is pretty good, I've acquired a taste for it...Sure it's trashy people on it most of the time and the obligatory pan-up of half naked girl with giant breasts in a bikini...but the stunts are awesome. \Hate the gross stuff but watch it anyway...
Old 01-14-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've already given up on watching anything on NBC. The time fiasco has proven to me that they have no desire to be user friendly. The fact that the local NBC affiliate has made no attempt to convert to HD anytime in the near future is just the icing on the cake.

There is another, movie oriented network that consistently starts its programs a minute late but that is way less annoying than what NBC is doing.
Old 01-14-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Rogue588 •

Well...it's not as bad as...say, reminding people when the Surreal Life II was on...
You want some of this? DO YOU!?!

As usual, my TiVo picked up on this and everything recorded fine, but it still pisses me off. I've been ragging on NBC and their abuse of television for years, mostly talking to myself since people didn't seem to mind the things that bugged the hell out of me, but now it looks like they've found a way to broaden their abuse to piss of everyone. Great job, guys. Tartikoff would be so proud.

das

P.S. If you're not watching The Surreal Life, you're missing one of the funniest shows on television.
Old 01-14-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
NBC is definitely doing this to piss off PVR owners. Their 9:59 shows are still starting at 10. They say 9:59 just to screw with the PVR. Well, NBC, if you keep this up, I will switch all 'guaranteed' recordings of yours to 'non-guaranteed.'

I hate to think of how single-PVR owners are handling this.
Old 01-14-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I'll be glad when The Real World/Road Rules Gauntlet is over next week, it'll clear up my dedicated "NBC" ReplayTV so I can record Average Joe II in the Monday 10 p.m. timeslot (not that I will feel like I'm missing much if I miss an episode, because I already missed this week's episode, no bigee).
Old 01-14-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
Well, NBC, if you keep this up, I will switch all 'guaranteed' recordings of yours to 'non-guaranteed.'
NBC considers this an empty threat, since you are recording the show and not watching it live. They really don't care if you're pissed because, in their eyes, they're not losing any revenue.

Last edited by DigIt; 01-14-04 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-14-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by DigIt
NBC considers this an empty threat, since you are recording the show and not watching it live. They really don't care if you're pissed because, in their eyes, they're not losing any revenue.

By the way, the addition/subtraction of a few minutes isn't necessarily an attempt to screw PVR owners, since zap2it reflects the changes and therefore the PVR is still recording the shows. It's an attempt to prevent viewers from changing channels.

That would be true if the shows actually started at 9:59. However, they are still starting at 10 despite what the schedule says. That is why I think this an attack on DVR owners.

Also, despite what zap list, the DVR cannot record a hour-long non-NBC show at 9 AND a NBC show at 10. There would be a conflict.

If they go over by 5-10 minutes, they I would agree that it is an attempt to prevent viewers from changing channels. This what they did in the past to stop Friends viewers from immediately jumping over to the see the immunity challenge and tribal council in on Survivor.
Old 01-14-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by das Monkey
You want some of this? DO YOU!?!
Bring it on Primate!
Old 01-14-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone remember when TBS use to have almost all of its programming beginning at times like 8:05 and 8:35? That was really annoying.
Old 01-14-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
dunno about you, but in my advanced settings for replay tv, i can start or end the record a few minutes early or late. problem solved. if this is not a tivo feature, ha ha. buy a better pvr.
Old 01-14-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you even read the thread? Of course TiVo recognizes the changes and accounts for them automatically without manual intervention (in addition to allowing manual adjusting of the start/end times if you like). In spite of your clear ignorance on this subject as well as missing the point of the thread, I'm sure the other posters greatly appreciate you laughing at them.

das
Old 01-15-04, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't mind folks laughing at me.

I just wish they'd wait until I say something.
Old 01-15-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I try not to laugh at someone unless I'm pointing at him, and preferably among a crowd of his peers. I think it's just rude otherwise.

das
Old 01-15-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
NBC is Anti-Tivo.

I now boycott season passes with them and only use Manual Passes so they do not screw up my other Tivo Shows. When Ed starts at 8:50, it wipes out my Joan of Arcadia becuase i have Ed ranked higher.

All those supersized friends made me ditch the show.
Old 01-15-04, 08:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by deadlax
dunno about you, but in my advanced settings for replay tv, i can start or end the record a few minutes early or late. problem solved. if this is not a tivo feature, ha ha. buy a better pvr.
NBC is a Tivo partner, and as such the Tivo schedule will automatically change to whatever time NBC shows it, no padding necessary (although Tivos can pad if you want them to).

The issue for Tivo owners isn't picking up the show, it's the overlap with shows on other channels.

NBC isn't anti-Tivo or anti-DVR...they don't want people changing channels.
Old 01-15-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Grouch094820 & 5/17

NBC isn't anti-Tivo or anti-DVR...they don't want people changing channels.
Again - I disagree. Ending West Wing at 9:59 makes it more likely that people switch channels. Plus as I pointed out before, NBC is still starting the shows at the regular time; they are just listing the time differently. For example, I watched Tuesday's SVU last night. It was a 1 hour 1 minute show. When I started watching it, I had to hit my 30-second Quick-Skip twice - it then immediately came up on the opening of the show.
Old 01-15-04, 09:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Ending West Wing at 9:59 makes it more likely that people switch channels.
But they go immediately into the next show, so people are inclined to at least watch a little bit.

I think that one possible strategy is to fool the Nielsen boxes into thinking the person is watching the next show, even if they change the channel a minute later.

As for them actually starting the shows on time, I haven't seen this at all. For me, they've always started when my guide data says they will.
Old 01-15-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Grouch094820 & 5/17
But they go immediately into the next show, so people are inclined to at least watch a little bit.

I think that one possible strategy is to fool the Nielsen boxes into thinking the person is watching the next show, even if they change the channel a minute later.

As for them actually starting the shows on time, I haven't seen this at all. For me, they've always started when my guide data says they will.

I haven't watched WW and L&O from last night yet, but they certainly did not bleed right from whatever their Tuesday 9:30 show is right into SVU. At 9:59 there were 2 commercials and then SVU started right at 10.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.