Celebrity Poker 12/16 (spoilers)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-18-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Grade C Celebrities

I'm surprised there's no thread on this. Anyway, it may have been the most annoying hour of poker I have ever seen.

Order of Elimination
Hank Azaria - Aside from a poor Nicholson impression, at least he didn't do any goofy voices.
Michael Ian Black
Mo Gaffney - Oh man, did she ruin it with her non-stop yakking.
Peter Facinelli - His wife, Jennie Garth, was in the crowd.

Winner
Nicole Sullivan - She looked rather pleased with herself when she won.

Honk!
Old 12-18-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nicole played pretty good poker. She read the rest of the players really well.

D
Old 12-18-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Annoying? I’m interested in what bugged you.

What I find annoying is the voice of the guy who announces the play. (Not the comedian, whatshisname.) The constant droning on and on like one of my posts only with a Brooklyn twang.

Also, you rarely get to see the cards for those who fold before the flop. Maybe it’s because they’re acting a lot quicker than folks who actually earned their way to a final table.

I actually found this one a little more interesting than past shows. But that’s not saying much.

If this was going longer than 6 shows, I’d likely give it up. Just not that much entertainment to balance out the questionable play.
Old 12-18-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I have my Replay set up to record these, and I immediately deleted this one when I saw who the so-called celebrities were.
Old 12-18-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was the best of the bunch. Then again, I've had a thing for Nicole for almost 10 years now, even with her recent weight gain, so I would have enjoyed it regardless. Azaria was downright annoying always trying to draw attention to himself, but everything else was pretty good, and the poker play didn't suck anywhere near the level of the previous two weeks. Watching Nicole school the table a couple of times was entertaining.

das
Old 12-18-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Wizdar
Annoying? I’m interested in what bugged you.

What I find annoying is the voice of the guy who announces the play. (Not the comedian, whatshisname.) The constant droning on and on like one of my posts only with a Brooklyn twang.
I don't really care for the constant joking and playing to the crowd. I know, they're entertainers, but the merriment and the mostly weak playing are aggravating.

As for Phil Gordon, I think he's okay as co-host. His voice does have a drone, but he knows the game.

Next week's players, spoilerized in case you like surprises
Spoiler:
Coolio - He strikes me as a serious player.
Shannon Elizabeth - Only if she's naked.
Ron Livingston - No idea who he is.
Paul Rudd
Sarah Silverman - Ugh. This week's Annoyance Factor.

Upcoming show, don't know when it will air
Spoiler:
David Cross
Carrie Fisher
Tom Green <--- The reason I won't be watching this episode.
Mimi Rogers
Scott Stapp - Never heard of him.

Honk!
Old 12-18-03, 07:39 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought it was the worst. I know they only get an hour, but it seemed like they cut out waaaay too many hands. It was like, after break they came back and there was a new chip leader, and it was someone that hadn't won a hand in a long time. And yeah, Hank Azaria was trying a little too hard. He lost me on the whole episode where he spoke up out of nowhere and said "I will now play this next hand... and this next hand only!... as Jack Nicholson." I think someone called that one.

But Nicole went from worst to first, didn't she? That's pretty cool.
Old 12-18-03, 07:42 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Next week's players, spoilerized in case you like surprises
Spoiler:
Coolio - He strikes me as a serious player.
Shannon Elizabeth - Only if she's naked.
Ron Livingston - No idea who he is.
Paul Rudd
Sarah Silverman - Ugh. This week's Annoyance Factor.
The "no idea who he is" guy that you mentioned has been in some pretty big stuff in recent years, namely
Spoiler:
Office Space and Band of Brothers. He's also in a new movie about Las Vegas with William Macy & Maria Bello called The Cooler.
He's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the show. The four other reasons are
Spoiler:
Shannon Elizabeth and Sarah Silverman... ba dum bum! Thanks, folks, I'll be here all night.

And the other guy who you didn't know from the next episode is
Spoiler:
the lead singer of Creed.
Old 12-18-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
As for Phil Gordon, I think he's okay as co-host. His voice does have a drone, but he knows the game.
If you're thinking that's who I was referring to, it's not. I like Phil.

I was talking about the guy who stands next to the table calling the hands.

Totally agree with Static about the missing hands. But I've given up on this show being anything about poker.

And I long for the day when each and every program doesn't feel the need for the 2 minute tutorial.
Old 12-18-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd just like to take a moment to explain No-Limit Texas Hold 'em to the thread. Each player is dealt 2 hold cards ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

das
Old 12-28-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It looks like the latest isn’t deserving of it’s own thread?

Actually, it was a good schooling episode of what to avoid in B&M play. There are a lot of things that you don’t encounter in internet play.

The biggest (for me at least) is to announce your intentions clearly. The “I’ll see you…and raise” is straight out of a 60s western. It has a slim chance of getting by in B&M play.

In a similar vein, Coolio at least once put his chips into the pot using several motions. It’s possible that editing didn’t allow us to hear if he announced he was moving in (which would make no sense), but assuming he said nothing, someone could have reduced his play to a “call” only.

Does anybody know if the “final table” is going to continue in the 1-hour format? I think it might be interesting if they could devote two hours to it. But, as it is, it seems to me that we’re only getting highlights of both the “poker” and the “entertainment.”