Golden Globe nominations

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Golden Globe nominations

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-03, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Judy Davis & James Brolin for "The Reagans"???This is truly laughable by the standards of any serious critic and proves once again the political agenda of the so called foreign press association.
Old 12-19-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 12-19-03, 05:29 AM

That's great that 'The Office' got noms. The only tv shows that I watched this past year and really enjoyed were: 'The Office', 'SFU', and 'Carnivále'.
Old 12-19-03, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by AlainDelon
Judy Davis & James Brolin for "The Reagans"???This is truly laughable by the standards of any serious critic and proves once again the political agenda of the so called foreign press association.
My thoughts exactly! If "The Reagans" would have just quietly come and gone without all the controversy, no way would these two performers receive nominations. Their nominations are an "in your face" political statement. Also, the elitist tone of the Foreign Press Assn. seems to not be able to (nor seem to even care about wanting to be able to) relate to specific blue collar America. Hence the glaring omissions of such shows as "Everybody Loves Raymond" and "The King of Queens." And, if memory serves correct, "Roseanne" didn't get noticed back when that show was in its heydey. I mean, c'mon, "Raymond" wins the Best Comedy Emmy, along with most of its cast receiving statuettes, yet the Golden Globes don't even nominate it for anything. Yet you still see the tired performance of "Will & Grace"'s Megan Mullaly. Why! Because it's a "sophisticated," "metropolitan" show. These people are major league snobs. A lot of their nominations are very deserving, but a good deal of them are not. To not include "Raymond," "King of Queens," "Sopranos" or "Curb Your Enthusiasm" in the nominations just immediately marginalizes the importance and/or significance of this organization. They are the textbook definition of "liberal elite."
Old 12-19-03, 08:26 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tarnower
To not include "Raymond," "King of Queens," "Sopranos" or "Curb Your Enthusiasm" in the nominations just immediately marginalizes the importance and/or significance of this organization. They are the textbook definition of "liberal elite."
Uh.... It's already been mentioned, but Sopranos and Curb didn't have any episodes this year. Curb won best comedy last year and Sopranos has been nominated every year it's been on.
Old 12-19-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nny, please don't burden this thread with facts; they only get in the way. For example, don't mention the fact that Roseanne was nominated for at least one Golden Globe 7 years in a row, thrice for Best Comedy/Musical, winning once, and losing to what we can all agree to be liberal elitist crap: The Wonder Years and Seinfeld.

As for a textbook definition of "not knowing what you're talking about," well ...

das
Old 12-19-03, 09:18 PM

Although I know he would never get nominated, I definately would have liked to have seen Dave Chapelle's name on the list. Probably the funniest show of the year. How about some south park love too.
Old 12-21-03, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peter Krause from "Six Feet Under" was insanely robbed.
Last season may not have been as good as the first two but
his performances were absolutely gut-wrenching.

Justin Kirk was also robbed for "Angels In America" even though every other cast member was nominated so I guess somebody was going to be left out.

Hopefully, Matt LeBlanc will finally get recognized for "Friends."

I thought James Brolin was pretty darn good as Ronald Reagan, but the movie was not done very well. Judy Davis was decent as Nancy Reagan.

It should be a fun show. I wonder if Al Pacino and Meryl Streep will even show up for it.
Old 12-21-03, 06:01 PM

Peter Krause from "Six Feet Under" was insanely robbed.
Last season may not have been as good as the first two but
his performances were absolutely gut-wrenching.
Ditto!

Hopefully, Matt LeBlanc will finally get recognized for "Friends."
Matt LeBlanc was never nominated. I thought all the cast members were usually nominated.

It should be a fun show. I wonder if Al Pacino and Meryl Streep will even show up for it.
I know, you can always expect that the big names stars sometimes don't show up at this type of award shows because it's not like the Emmy's or the Oscars. But Al Pacino, probably not. Meryl Streep, probably. I
Old 12-21-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my pics out of the nominees:

Best Drama Series:
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Best Actress, Drama Series:
Frances Conroy, Six Feet Under

Best Actor, Drama Series:
William Petersen, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Best Musical or Comedy Series:
Arrested Development

Best Acterss, Musical or Comedy Series:
Sarah Jessica Parker, Sex and the City

Best Actor, Musical or Comedy Series:
Ricky Gervais, The Office

Best Miniseries or TV Movie:
Angels in America

Best Actress, Miniseres or TV Movie:
Meryl Streep, Angels in America

Best Actor, Miniseries or TV Movie:
Al Pacino, Angels in America

Best Supporting Actress, Series, Miniseries or TV Movie:
Kim Cattrall, Sex and the City

Best Supporting Actor, Series, Miniseries or TV Movie:
Sean Hayes, Will & Grace
Old 12-22-03, 01:23 PM

I really hope Ricky Gervais wins best comedy actor. He is spot on in the Office and those looks he has are priceless! I too was shocked that King of Queens wasn't nominated - it's the only network comedy I watch. I haven't seen ANY of the dramas nominated, which is pretty lame I know but they do not have any appeal at all.

Is Matt LeBlanc really all that good? I always thought he was overrated on Friends and I don't think it's surprising at all that he was nominated.
Old 12-22-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by mariakitty
Is Matt LeBlanc really all that good? I always thought he was overrated on Friends and I don't think it's surprising at all that he was nominated.
He has been the only reason to watch the show for the last four years or so, though Jennifer Aniston had her moments a couple of years ago. It's not surprising that he is getting a spin-off (although he is probably the only one willing to do it).
Old 12-22-03, 03:36 PM

Scrubs got screwed. Best writing on television hands down.