Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Satellite TV receiver question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-03, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satellite TV receiver question?

I know that with directv you can place additional receivers in your home for a minimal fee($6?). How about a guest house on your own property? Can you buy another dish and receiver and only pay the extra $6 a month instead of paying for a new account? Would this be illegal or is it allowed?

thanks
Old 12-09-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Well, to be sarcastic, if you can afford some property that is large enough for a guest house, you can probably afford two dishes.

sorry. Couldn't resist.
Old 12-09-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
If you buy another dish, it's most likely going to be treated like another account. You can 'mirror' the subscription to another receiver, and I don't see why you couldn't stretch it out to a guest house as long as it's not commercial property [is it for visitors? or your butler and staff? ; )]

If you activated the receiver on the same account, and somehow got another dish and hooked it up just for convenience, rather than running cable through the yard. that might work. If you bought the dish directly from Directv, they might not let you do it, but if you could find another dish somewhere else and installed it, I don't necessarily see a problem with it.
Multiple receivers, multiple dishes, one family, one account, noncommercial usage. Hmm, I don't know, it might violate their ToS somewhere, but I'm not sure where [disclaimer: I'm with cable now, and was with Dish network, so have no experience with DTV.]

feel free to correct me, anyone.
Old 12-09-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can buy a signal booster to strenghten the signal if you need to. I do this to get a strong signal on the other side of my house.
Old 12-09-03, 05:01 PM

this guest house is for visitors. Basically, can you treat a guest house like an additional room in your house. Is it much different then maybe an apartment above a garage, or an in-laws quarters? I'm not looking for ways to do it illegally, just wanting to know if it is allowed, its not worth paying for a whole account on a tv that wouldn't be used that much anyway. But if it was allowed, then it would be worth the extra small charge.
Old 12-09-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's put it this way...the provider doesn't know where your receiver actually is located. As far as they know, it's in your bedroom, even if hooked up to another dish (wink, wink).
Old 12-09-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same address, same account. You only need to pay an extra receiver fee of $4.99 a month to mirror the same programming as in the main house.
Old 12-09-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
The phone number that calls in also has to be the same. To be safe, you can just tell them that the second receiver doesn't have a phone line.
Old 12-09-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Well, to be sarcastic, if you can afford some property that is large enough for a guest house, you can probably afford two dishes.
It's exactly that type of thinking that prevents us from owning property that is large enough for a guest house.