Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica discussion with spoilers as it airs

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the 2nd part seemed a tad bit slow. I forgave that of the 1st because it was setting up all the characters and such, but I kinda felt let down that there was no real excitement to speak of. But it kept the tone set by the 1st part and in that it was consistent.

The music was uninspiring – coulda used a kick here and there.

Too many commercials. Or so it seemed.

(I think my impression might improve on a 2nd viewing, Came into this at 2 AM after 6 hours of tournament poker.)

I like that they used very little sound during the space scenes. It’s about time people realized that in space nobody can hear you fart.

I especially liked the use of Number 6 in Baltar’s head. You got some info (not unlike, “Captain’s Log: stardate…”) whilst getting the idea that Baltar was eating his Fruit Loops without milk. And, of course, more BOOBIES!

Not sure what to think about Boomer being a sleeper. And I think it would have been better to have the guy they left on the space station be human, but then the reveal wouldn’t have been as affective.

I’m a bit confused about the note to Adama. Who sent it? How does this person know this? But, more importantly, 12 models? I know #6 said there were 12 of her. And we only got to see, what, 5 or 6 different models? Is this a setup for the future, where we have the possibility of more infiltrators? Or did they miss something here?

I WANT MORE!!

Originally posted by Xytraguptorh
I know there's some reason that I'm supposed to hate the SciFi Channel, but I can't remember what it was.
[only das can read] [/only das can read]
Old 12-10-03, 10:28 AM
Suspended

I know #6 said there were 12 of her.
Actually, I was pretty sure she said something in part 1 to Baltar about there being twelve different models and she was #6.
Old 12-10-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Wizdar

I like that they used very little sound during the space scenes. It’s about time people realized that in space nobody can hear you fart.
I didn't like the lack of sound in the space scenes. It kind of sucks the excitment out of it. Yes, I'm aware you wouldn't actually be able to hear anything, but I'm not looking for reality. In real life, music doesn't play whenever I have a conversation in order to better set the mood for observers, but I don't think there are a lot of people advocating removing background music.
Old 12-10-03, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Derrich
But as SciFi always does, they'll find a way to screw it up. I predict an announcement that the BSG series will premiere mid-2005. And EJO and MM won't be anywhere near it.

D
I'm guessing all the actors had to sign for a year's commitment to the series before doing the pilot...that MAY be why Edward James Olmos warned everyone NOT to watch it...he didn't want to be contactually obligated to a series!
Old 12-10-03, 10:42 AM

I’m a bit confused about the note to Adama. Who sent it? How does this person know this? But, more importantly, 12 models? I know #6 said there were 12 of her. And we only got to see, what, 5 or 6 different models? Is this a setup for the future, where we have the possibility of more infiltrators? Or did they miss something here?

[only das can read] [/only das can read] [/B]
It's obvious who left the note...the only one on the ship who knew about it - Baltar!

And I'm guessing they only showed 4 models so we'll be continuously guessing what the other 8 look like - since other crew members could be Cylons!
Old 12-10-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
DAMN! This was good!

I can’t remember the last time I saw spaceships that didn’t make bank turns.

Babylon 5?
Old 12-10-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I did not like the Boomer/Cylon angle, even if she's a sleeper agent and doesn't know. Boomer did manage to give the humans an accurate account as to what happened to the newer ships, so I don't know if she knows who she really is. Or, perhaps the main Cylon, who looks like Boomer, was replicated from Boomer's DNA and "cloned" in some fashion, so that the real Boomer is still on BG, and will be replaced later if a series materializes.
Old 12-10-03, 11:01 AM
Suspended

Or, perhaps the main Cylon, who looks like Boomer, was replicated from Boomer's DNA and "cloned" in some fashion, so that the real Boomer is still on BG, and will be replaced later if a series materializes.
That likely will not be the case. While I'm sure a lot of us like the character of Boomer and the actress playing her, I'm sure that was part of the reason the revelation was made at the end. That impact would be blunted if they found an "out" where Boomer wasn't really a Cylon.
Old 12-10-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So far, we've only seen 4 of the 12 "models" of human-like Cylons, right?
Old 12-10-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I think I heard feldergarb too

Originally posted by PhYbEr
they really like saying "fracking" don't they? Is that the word everyone will be saying in the future?
Old 12-10-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Frak Yeah!
Old 12-10-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone think Cylon-humanoids can procreate at all with humans?
Old 12-10-03, 12:03 PM

I read in the chat transcripts on the SciFi site that the actors all have in their contracts the obligation to do the series, IF SciFi decides to pick up the series by December 31st. So hopefully we will hear word soon regarding the series.
Old 12-10-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
So far, we've only seen 4 of the 12 "models" of human-like Cylons, right?
The others are Adama, Tigh, Apollo, Starbuck, President Rosilyn, Boxie, and the engineering chief guy.
Old 12-10-03, 12:36 PM
Suspended

It's because they unceremoniously dumped good shows like "The Invisible Man", "B5: Legend of the Rangers", and, especially, "Farscape".
I'm sure this will PO quite a few, but those shows just plain sucked. Good riddance! I'd like to see Lexx get canned too, if it hasn't been .. that show bugs me Sorry.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I also agree the second episode was a tad slow too, and should have had more action but they've been saying it wasn't an action packed mini series, they're focusing more on the humanity of it all so to speak. I thought Baltar just made it all up about that guy being a Cylon, and why would #6 give him away like she did? To earn Baltars trust or something?

All things considered, I fealt the whole thing was good overall, despite a couple of slow spots. I'm sure we'll be hearing about a full series soon
Old 12-10-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by necros
I'm sure this will PO quite a few, but those shows just plain sucked. Good riddance!
I'll give you Rangers, but the other two?
Old 12-10-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Chew •<HR SIZE=1>I'll give you Rangers, but the other two? <HR SIZE=1>

Don't stop there: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...08#post4341108

das
Old 12-10-03, 01:19 PM
Suspended

Sorry. Farscape was always just boring to me, and the invisible man... i watched it a couple of times and while there were a few good points, it was mostly just kinda dumb. One show I'd love to see brought back to life though is Space: Above & Beyond.

And on that note, not everyone thinks Trek is the end all/be all of sci fi
Old 12-10-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
Don't stop there: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...08#post4341108

das
Old 12-10-03, 02:32 PM
Suspended

I thought Baltar just made it all up about that guy being a Cylon, and why would #6 give him away like she did? To earn Baltars trust or something?
The interesting thing about all of this is that it was never outright stated that the #6 Baltar was seeing was really #6. It could very well have just been the product of Baltar's subconscious mind, just as he speculated. Nothing she told him is something he might not have had lurking in the back of his head, yet just had not consciously realized.
Old 12-10-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Holy frack! Holy cow! Holy War!

A dis on IM?!?

Somebody's gonna pay!

Old 12-10-03, 03:53 PM

Problems I had:

1) the space battles were BORING! All we ever saw was 1 or 2 ships at a time fighting. And the "no sound in space" although realistic made the scenes incredibly DULL.

2) Bullets!? These guys have faster than light travel and they haven't invented laser guns yet?

3) The whole Cylon-as-human angle. This has been rehashed thousands of times in sci-fi, and only 2 movies ever got it right - Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Thing. Everything else is derivative.

4) The whole Starbuck and Boomer as women. I'm sorry, but that was just LAME.

Basically, I feel they tried too hard to bring the show up to "modern" standards. With issues like alcoholism, dysfunctional families, nuclear war, etc. etc. - this just didn't deserve to be called Battlestar Galactica. I'll stick with the original on DVD, thank you.
Old 12-10-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1) You must've missed those scenes that had dozens of Cyclons racing for the Galactica.

2)Bullets make a lot of sense. Lasers would need a much larger power source than a gun. A small projectile can do a lot of damage to a ship.

3)Makes sense to me. They needed to infiltrate the colonies, it's a lot easier for a human looking robot to do it than a shiny silver one. Plus, there's the whole thing about them turning themselves into the form of thier creators. The Cylons seem deeply religious, which is rare in sci-fi.

4) I agree. There was no reason to make them women. Boomer at least should have been renamed because the character was totally different from the original.

D
Old 12-10-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
what's this no sound in space stuff?
not as much as other space shows but I still heard the sound of the thrusters and the guns firing
Old 12-10-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here’s my 2¢ on the latest:

1) EVERYbody uses the roaring rockets or whatever (notable exception being Firefly). Boring! I find it a delightful change.

2) EVERYbody uses lasers or whatever (notable exception being Firefly). Boring! As Derrich said, bullets make a lot of sense. Plus, in SF, lasers never run dry, an unrealistic concept, considering the power use. And let’s not forget, this was a retro Galactica. I like the idea that they’re going to run out of bullets at a critical moment, although it is a bit cliché.

3) The “Cylon-as-human angle,” since the preferred is what EVERYbody is doing, I don’t understand the complaint. Noisy laser-filled space battles are derivative, n’est çe pas?

4) Not that anybody cares, but I’ve got no problems with the Starbuck/Boomer complaints. I have to ask, did you enjoy the characters? I guarantee that no male version of Starbuck would have been done to folks’ satisfaction. And Boomer was such an insignificant character. The guy deserved a promotion.

Those kinds of complaints are understandable. This version clearly wasn’t made to be FUN like the original. I don’t see anything wrong with a different approach, as long as it’s done well. I guess if you wanted just another space shoot-‘em-up, this is the wrong place to look.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.