Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Who is skipping the "new" Battlestar Galactica?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Who is skipping the "new" Battlestar Galactica?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-03, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bonnie Hammer vs. Glen Larson: Clash of the Titans

As absurd as Bonnie is, she's probably got the drop on Glen Larceny.
Old 12-09-03, 04:58 AM

No offense to anyone else who posted in this thread, but if you skipped the show last night, you missed one of the better made-for-television sci-fi programs that has been on in a while.

Just goes to show you how quick some of us are to judge before we've ever seen the final product...the new Battlestar is a pretty damn good show!
Old 12-09-03, 06:45 AM

No, this is not your father's Battlestar Galactica, but it certainly has promise.

The actress that played the cyclon chick was hot.......... I liked it, although I really don't think the part of Starbuck plays out as well as a woman (yeah I know I'm far from the first person to say that). The only thing I thought was kind of goofy looking were the cyclon ships, although I guess it would make sense for them to have AI of their own rather than a cyclon pilot.

If they do decide to make this a series, I hope that they are able to keep Edward James Almos. He's a good actor and they could do with him what they did with Patrick Stewart, broaden his character a lot, give him a dry sense of humor.

Anyhow looking forward to part 2 tonight!
Old 12-09-03, 06:57 AM
Cool New Member

My impressions were very favorable as well, and while I watched the original as a kid, I am not as adamant as others on the changes. I think they have created an intriguing intro to a possible series. EJO was pretty awesome, and the other actors were good as well. I can't wait for the 2nd part tonight, it sure got my attention
Old 12-09-03, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Galactica had much higher ratings in its original run than Star Trek did, and had nearly as successful a syndication run...
You had me up to the second part.
Old 12-09-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, you're wrong. BG has been syndicated, like, well, OK never mind...
Originally posted by fourwalker
although I guess it would make sense for them to have AI of their own rather than a cyclon pilot.
I didn't see them that way. I saw the moving light thingie as an activation of their computer FU machine. I don't see a reason the ships couldn't have pilots, although you make a good point for the ship being able to pilot itself.
Old 12-09-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw it last night and liked it. It was different enough to give a fresh view on the story. Liked the cylon ships. I always thought it was dumb having robots pilot a ship that can be programmed to fly itself.
Old 12-09-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I have no problem admitting i'm wrong about about something..

Good thing it doesn't apply to this situation..
Old 12-09-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally posted by Duran
The only gripes were the scripts and acting? What else is there? Battlestar Galactica had a great concept, but beyond that, it wasn't much. If this miniseries has the same basic concept, I'm willing to give them a shot with it. Whether Starbuck is a man or woman doesn't really make a difference in the grand storyline, just like it didn't matter that Picard wasn't a womanizing brawler like Kirk.

Well, on the last point you're off base. Making Starbuck a woman is like making SPOCK a woman. There is no comparison to the differences between Kirk and Picard and the differences between the old Starbuck (or Apollo for that matter) and the new version. They aren't creating new characters, they're screwing up classic characters.

As to the scripts for the original Galactica - I was referring mainly to the dialogue and maybe two of the episodes' plotlines. The plotlines to the rest of the episodes and the overall story arc were fantastic. A few of the actors were clearly hired for their looks, but there were also some compelling personalities as well (Richard Hatch as Apollo, Lorne Greene as Adama, Dirk Benedict as Starbuck, Herbert Jefferson Jr as Boomer, George Murdock as Dr Salik, etc).

What bothers me about the new version is all the things that made Galactica different are gone. The mythology is gone.

The new Galactica is like remaking Star Trek where the Enterprise is a run down old rust bucket with a crew full of in-fighting, and a Federation where society has degenerated to a level far worse than today. It just wouldn't be Star Trek.

It's just a shame that they felt that they couldn't do Galactica without changing those things that the fans loved about the show. My main gripe is that they went too far, and it's not really Galactica.

Last edited by B5Erik; 12-09-03 at 11:42 AM.