Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Who is skipping the "new" Battlestar Galactica?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Who is skipping the "new" Battlestar Galactica?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Originally posted by B5Erik
The humans, after hundreds of years of war with the Cylons, are duped into a "peace treaty" with them ("Peace in our time"), and the 12 colonies of man are virtually wiped out on the eve of signing the treaty. With most of the military obliterated by the sneak attack the remaining humans board the last 220 civilian ships and are led by the last remaining battlestar (think "aircraft carrier in space"), the Galactica, in a quest for a new homeworld far from the Cylon empire - the "mythical" lost 13th tribe of man on the planet Earth. They are hunted by the Cylons as they try to find Earth.

Thats the gist of it, anyway.

Ok cool. I can see the Mid East/Israel parallel

I also noticed the Sci Fi series will focus on more on Religion/God/Propaga than "sci fi".

it all makes sense now.
Old 12-07-03, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its scifi with supposedly a decent budgeti, its in space, stuff flies around and things get shot at....

I'm watching.

(while silently being annoyed at Bonnie anyway)
Old 12-07-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
It's funny, this thread has taught me that even though most bitch about movies with "no story" and "too many special effects".

When it all boils down to it people -ARE- INTERESTED IN SFX 1ST STORY 2ND

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-07-03 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-07-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep.

And BOOBIES!
Old 12-07-03, 08:03 PM

Aw Frac, I will give it a try. The Daily News in New York also liked it.
Old 12-07-03, 10:58 PM
Suspended

Sorry, but I'm anxiously awaiting the new show. I'm gonna watch every episode. Starbuck's a girl. So is boomer. Who cares?! I really don't see what the uproar is, other than just fanboys needing something new to cry about. It's just a brand new show with an old name. Ya'll are passing judgement on something that isn't even out yet and you haven't even seen. If the show sucks, is it gonna ruin the old one? no. If the show is great is it gonna ruin the old one? no. Lighten up. Like Captain Kirk said on SNL, "It's just a TV show!!"

They could have just picked up 20 years after the original left off and focused on new, younger characters while keeping the classic characters around in supporting roles (Apollo as commander, Boomer as Colonel, Starbuck as a general troublemaker). That's what most of the fans wanted. It would have worked.
Isn't that what they did with Glactica 1980?

Last edited by necros; 12-07-03 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-07-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Adama was the only one left from the original characters although I think an adult Boxy was one of the guys

Originally posted by necros

Isn't that what they did with Glactica 1980 was?
Old 12-08-03, 02:11 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by necros
If the show sucks, is it gonna ruin the old one? no. If the show is great is it gonna ruin the old one? no. Lighten up. Like Captain Kirk said on SNL, "It's just a TV show!!"
No, but it has scuttled all chances of seeing Galactica Classic in a new series. If the new show bombs, then the studio heads will go "See, we were right all long. There's no market for Galactica!" If the new show makes it, then we'll be stuck with the Galactica Lite version forever and ever.

Either way you slice it, it's a slap to the face of the old fans who want to see their show continue.
Old 12-08-03, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Either way you slice it, it's a slap to the face of the old fans who want to see their show continue.
All five of 'em.
Old 12-08-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
so is it just tonight and tomorrow?
not much of a miniseries if it's only 2 nights
Old 12-08-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mikehunt
so is it just tonight and tomorrow?
not much of a miniseries if it's only 2 nights
Yup, just tonight and tomorrow. Granted, it's not Taken sized, but 4 hours is a pretty standard mini-series length.
Old 12-08-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Re: The Fans of the original show...

Originally posted by Wizdar
All five of 'em.
Actually, the premiere of Battlestar Galactica got HUGE ratings on ABC, and the series remains the highest rated Science Fiction show ever on TV. The syndication run in the 80's was also VERY successful. There are a LOT of fans of the original Galactica out there (which makes all of these changes all the more stupid since all it's going to do is alienate all of those fans).

The changes they've made would be like making Spock a woman and having the Federation being a cesspool of decay rather than the shining example of Roddenberry's vision of the future in a re-make of the original Trek. If you think that there's complaining about the changes to Galactica, imagine if they made those changes to a re-make of the original Trek!

The changes to Galactica have not been for the better, either. They got the concept right back in '78. The only gripes most critics of the series have/had concern the scripts and acting. Rather than focusing on fixing those two weaknesses the producers chose to change everything else. That's just stupid.

That's why I'm not watching.
Old 12-08-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There was an article on the front page (of the Arts section) in Sunday's Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/34..._a_she_+.shtml

My favorite Bonnie quote:

The Sci Fi Channel's website, www.scifi.com, has been ''inundated'' with protests, said Hammer, who added that fans ''can't drive the creative process.''
Old 12-08-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it's a slap to the face of the old fans who want to see their show continue.
After Galactica 1980, I sincerely hope fans of the original (of which I’m one) realize it’s a done deal, ain’t no going back.

There’s got to be four or five out there who think the old show can be resurrected. Prolly the same ones who still hope Lucas will release the OT on DVD.

I think starting fresh is the only way to go, if they feel compelled to do it at all. Consider what was done to The Music Man a year or so ago. This was a carbon copy of the original, and my BIG question was “Why?!?” If they went for a new approach, I could understand.

The new Planet of the Apes is another example. It worked for me, but there was a constant “been there done that” feeling. I think it would have worked well as an original concept. Lost in Space is a similar situation.

The fact that EJO is suspicious. It’s aimed directly at folks like you, who will diss the show without ever having seen a frame of film. They don’t WANT you to watch; rather they want kids who want SPFX (and BOOBIES) and don’t give a wet slap about story.

So they’re trying to reinvent the show. If the state of SF on TV wasn’t so piss poor these days, it might be a welcome attempt.

So it deserves a looksee, if only because 1) it might be decent and 2) if it’s not, I will have sat through all 4 hours and 13 minutes and will have full license to rag the crap outta it.

That’s why I’m watching.

Join me, El. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 12-08-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bboisvert
My favorite Bonnie quote:

The Sci Fi Channel's website, www.scifi.com, has been ''inundated'' with protests, said Hammer, who added that fans ''can't drive the creative process.''
My favorite from the article:

''I don't know that the Sci Fi Channel is comfortable with [traditional] science fiction,'' contends Larson, who watched an advance tape of the minisieres recently.

There's an understatement!
Old 12-08-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Wizdar, by your logic Star Trek TNG would never have happened the way it did.

Galactica: The Next Generation isn't an absurd idea (most fans consider Galactica 1980 to be non-existent anyway).

The producers could have achieved their goal of attracting new fans by keeping the original concept and updating it. They could have kept Apollo, Starbuck, and Boomer in the positions that Adama and Tighe had, and introduced a bunch of new, younger characters for the show to focus on. Written correctly this concept could have attracted both new viewers AND the millions of fans who watched Galactica in the 70's or 80's.

Galactica had much higher ratings in its original run than Star Trek did, and had nearly as successful a syndication run (and considering that there was only 1 season to syndicate for BG that's pretty impressive).

Last edited by B5Erik; 12-08-03 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can’t disagree with any of that.

However, after “Encounter at Farpoint” there was a huge “Why, oh why, did they DO that” outcry, IIRC.
Old 12-08-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Those quotes are priceless.

das
Old 12-08-03, 03:01 PM

I'll check this out to see what hte big deal is. Has to be worth watching for free.
Old 12-08-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I'll probably watch a few centons of it, but I won't waste a full 2 centons unless it's decent. If its good, I hope it runs for centons and centons.
Old 12-08-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"What's a centon"
Old 12-08-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Wizdar
"What's a centon"

Sixty microns, of course. Or 1/60th of a centare.
Old 12-08-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by B5Erik
The changes to Galactica have not been for the better, either. They got the concept right back in '78. The only gripes most critics of the series have/had concern the scripts and acting. Rather than focusing on fixing those two weaknesses the producers chose to change everything else. That's just stupid.
The only gripes were the scripts and acting? What else is there? Battlestar Galactica had a great concept, but beyond that, it wasn't much. If this miniseries has the same basic concept, I'm willing to give them a shot with it. Whether Starbuck is a man or woman doesn't really make a difference in the grand storyline, just like it didn't matter that Picard wasn't a womanizing brawler like Kirk.
Old 12-08-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Neener neener. It didn't suck.
Old 12-08-03, 11:30 PM
Suspended

I thought Part 1 was great. It was a little slow to get started though but I guess cuz of all the intro kind of stuff that had to be done. The story so far is great, the characters/actors are all good and the effects were really nice. But, the whole time I kept getting the idea that they're definately planning something else. I mean, it seems like the beginning of a new series, not part 1 of a 2 part story Either way, part 1 was very good and I can't wait for Part 2

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.