Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Music Awards (the show many love to hate)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's that time of year again although this years it's on months earlier. Chime in if you watched.

If nothing else, watch to see what they're wearing.
Old 11-16-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The US affiliate that I catch it on is showing a football game instead, so I can't watch it until after midnight. Let me know if it is worth watching!
Old 11-16-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love her or hate her, Britney Spears is scheduled to perform.

I'm sure it's worth catching. I try to watch it every year.
Old 11-16-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
last i heard, Evanesance was still scheduled to play, but since the guitar player quit, did they back out, or are they still playing?
Old 11-16-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im watching for lack of nothing else to do Strange list of nominees in alot of the categories like best pop/rock group:

Favorite Band, Duo or Group — Pop or Rock
Fleetwood Mac
Matchbox Twenty
3 Doors Down

Did i miss something? Is the the best they could come up with?

Anyway i always like to watch Britney dance around(preferrably with the sound off) and Metallica are performing so thats cool.
Old 11-16-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Evanesance is still scheduled to play. You never know till the last minute if someone cancels.
Old 11-16-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just noticed they have an "alternative" category for best band which is between Metallica,Coldplay and Linkin Park.
Old 11-16-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here are the scheduled performers:
3 Doors Down
Clay Aiken & Ruben Studdard
Ashanti
Sheryl Crow
Hilary Duff
Evanescence
Fleetwood Mac
Alan Jackson
Toby Keith
Kid Rock
Metallica
OutKast
Sean Paul
Pink
Britney Spears
Rod Stewart

And it wouldn't be the AMA without some odd presenter choices like Weird Al Yankovic and the Smother Brothers.

Last edited by big whoppa; 11-16-03 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-16-03, 09:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hilary Duff looked fat
she has large thighs and a large ass
Old 11-16-03, 10:42 PM

It has been a long while since I've watched the AMAs.

I'm not familiar with Jimmy Kimmel so I guess he was what 40/60?

Britany - please!!! Does the female know how to sing live? I guess not, always lip-synching.

Justin Timberlake - Boy is trying to be funny. Please! I barely cracked a smile.

Powerful performances by Kid Rock, Pink, and Evanscence.

Ashanti - I'm surprised she sang live. I was getting ready for her to lip-synch to the song. But the girl still can't IMO. Also it looked like she tried to be like Beyonce.

Outkast - as usual they know how to pump it up!! I'm so sorry I didn't tape both Andre 3000's and Big Boi's performances.

Sheryl Crow - how did she play that guitar with those heels!! Goodness.

Hilary Duff - left the din to fold some clothes. I can't stand to even see look at this chic.

Sean Paul - his was okay, his performance could have been a better.
Old 11-16-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Exzavier00
[B]Hilary Duff looked fat

DAMN!!! I missed her
Old 11-16-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seriously, somebody should tell Hilary Duff that Halloween was last month - she can put her Ruben costume away.

This is boring, and most of the performance sucked. I want Alias, damn it!
Old 11-16-03, 11:46 PM

No wonder sometimes I don't have the "energy" to watch this award shows. It's like a mix bad and good musical performances , etc.
Old 11-17-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I taped it and fast forward through all the crap. I watched 3 hours worth in about 25 minutes. Kid Rock, Fleetwood Mac, Hilary Duff, Metallica, 3 Doors Down, Sheryl Crow, Toby Keith, Pink, and Britney Spears then I was done.
Old 11-17-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
not that I was expecting much from this awards show.

and MAN, did it DELIVER!

this sucked harder than Paris Hilton without nightvision goggles.

as mentioned, Outkast rocked..but, that's about it. Evanescence blew too...and I like them.
Old 11-17-03, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
METALLICA Kicked Ass!, like always.

[only reason I heard this show, waiting patiently till Metallica was announced, then I Listened]
Old 11-17-03, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ruben ate Clay? That's cutting edge humor, Jimmy...

I had to rewind to see if that actually was Hillary Duff. And it was. I didn't think that she looked too bad. She is only a teen yet, for God's sake!

I also fastforwarded the show, so I might have missed something, but what did Clay and Ruben end up singing together? I know that they each did some of their individual songs, but did they both end on a religious song?
Old 11-17-03, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Couple of comments, but i have to admit i didn't watch TOO much of it.

1. I've never understood Jimmy's humor. He can be funny at times, and his football picks on sunday were hilarious, but other than that, i just don't think he's funny. Obviously he's not when it comes to impromptu stuff.

2. Have we gotten to the point where its acceptable that Britney lip syncs? Like, its ok cause she does it all the time. How this woman is still popular is beyond me. Once her looks go, she's toast (if not sooner).

3. Who could have guessed about 5 years ago (not sure on exact time) when Devil With Out a Cause came out that Kid Rock would end up like this. Not saying its a bad thing, just that its odd. I actually like his new style. Just never expected it in a million years.

4. Metallica ruled. I'll always like these guys (and yes, i love the new album).

5. Was it just me, or did anyone else think that one of the best performances of the night were that Coca Cola contest winner Bomb Squad (gotta come up with a better name). Not my type of music AT ALL, but I really thought they were quite good. And btw, to the AMA producers, way to stick them immediately after Metallica. "I know, we'll put these never before seen artists right after a legendary group like Metallica". Nice thinking boys.
Old 11-17-03, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Joeboo835
5. Was it just me, or did anyone else think that one of the best performances of the night were that Coca Cola contest winner Bomb Squad (gotta come up with a better name). Not my type of music AT ALL, but I really thought they were quite good. And btw, to the AMA producers, way to stick them immediately after Metallica. "I know, we'll put these never before seen artists right after a legendary group like Metallica". Nice thinking boys.
i was wondering if anyone would mention the Bomb Squad...

i missed the awards last night, but have been a BS fan for a while, and a fan of the lead singer, Jen Durkin, for even longer. she's got an amazing voice, and a ton of funk and spunk. her previous band, Deep Banana Blackout, was also incredible, and she was on tour with Bernie Worell (of pfunk fame) for a while as well..
Old 11-17-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
actually she says that she sings, its just that there are backup vocals on the 20/20 special.
what songs were performed.
Old 11-17-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
actually she says that she sings, its just that there are backup vocals on the 20/20 special.
what songs were performed.
yeah, she "says"...it's obvious there are backup vocals but what isn't obvious is her own signing!

anyone notice her HUGE thighs???

IMHO, the show was crap. the performers were not up to par and the writing was horrible. i like dick clark as much as the next person but he really should hand this one over to someone else, there's just no edge to them to let them keep up with other shows. very boring show, i only caught the beginning of the beginning and outkast.
Old 11-17-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Didn't watch the show but flipped through just in time to see Hilary Duff. Holy crap! What was that? She was UNBELIEVABLY bad! I've never heard bad music like that. Everything was bad: She has zero stage presence, no moves, no voice, no tunes, nothing. What a friggin joke! I'm not against pop as a genre even though it may not be my thing, but fercryinoutloud, do pop right!
Old 11-17-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
mkdevo - like i said, not my type of music, but i was impressed. Ya, you could tell that singer pretty much made that group. I have a feeling we'll be hearing from her pretty soon.

Btw, what makes a un-signed band? You can't tell me they don't have a record deal of some sort, even on an indy label. Or did she form this band just recently?
Old 11-17-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They have to find another host next year. Jimmy Kemmel stood stone-faced for 3 hours with the same expression delivering punch lines with that same expression.

It was plainly obvious that Hillary Duff can't sing. I'd give her a little leeway on stage prescense since I'm sure she hasn't sung much to a live audience yet.

Pink, although she can look really weird at times (looking like a western clown last night), she can back it up with her voice. The girl has powerful pipes. Don't care for the song but that was a very good acapella performance.

Britney Spears did the remix version of Me Against the Machine. Good performance but nothing special. Had a Sci-fi Vegas motif in the background.

Ashanti...I didn't figure she would eventually being singing with the rain on her.

Outkast were great. Andre3000 especially rocked the house. Interesting pilot theme there.

Ruben and Clay did some gospel number together. Clay even won a viewer's choice award.

Rod Stewart-I could have sworn he was lip synching. It was pretty blah.

Jessica Simpson arrived with her husband but the babe of the night was Jessica Alba.
Old 11-17-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
I thought Alan Jackson's performance was pretty good(...this is saying alot coming from someone who likes progressive metal).

I was kinda sad that Ruben didn't perform something from his soon-to-be "MEGA-HIT" cd.

Last night's show pretty much indicated that the following artists are now on "borrowed time":
- Kimmel (Should be banned from live tv...not funny at all)
- Spears ( Sick of her and her "attention-getting"antics.)
- Timberlake (We already have one white MJ...don't need another)
- Duff (Would have rather heard Lindsay Lohan sing instead)
- Ashanti (Lame "Flashdance" performance)
- Paul (I just plain, don't like this guy or his music)
- Evanescence (worst live performance I've ever seen. They should have went with "My Immortal")

Last edited by candyrocket786; 11-17-03 at 01:47 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.