Ed -- "Therapy" 11.12.2003

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Therapy

Ed seeks help from a psychiatrist (Bruce Altman); Eli is advised about his relationship with Jennifer by his physical therapist (Raphael Nash Thompson). Steven: Pete Starrett. Pat: Pat Farmer.
I've done some self analysis why this recent "follow me to NYC" storyline bothers me...it's Stuckeyville.

Stuckeyville is one of the reasons I like this show. I've seen some on these forums [even before I started watching] mention Stuckeyville. One had as their location "Looking for Stuckeyville". I think another one even mentioned "their own private Stuckeyville". So...I guess I have issues I need to deal with.

Anyone know the name of a good pet therapist..?
Old 11-12-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this show was absolutely fantastic. i am talking 'captain lucidity' fantastic. i know that some may disagree with me but to me, this one had just the right blend of off the wall stuff with advancement of the plot to work. firstly, let me say that carol with the new haircut and the glasses...

there were also so many moments. mind reading eli and dr. mike singing joy to the world. the part where the guy was taking pics and the fat guys were bowling were good, but then the same guys about 10 seconds later chugging the 2 liter of orange soda had me

it was also good to see all of the other characters get some face time. i know that many can't stand eli and jennifer but i really liked it. also good to see more face time for phil especially with the whole central phil plot for the week. and the serepent was cool too.

i could go on, but i won't. all in all the best hour of the season so far....easily.
Old 11-12-03, 09:23 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by kevin75
this show was absolutely fantastic. i am talking 'captain lucidity' fantastic. i know that some may disagree with me but to me, this one had just the right blend of off the wall stuff with advancement of the plot to work. firstly, let me say that carol with the new haircut and the glasses...
Not so much the glasses for me, but Carol in a camisole. Or Carol in the pool with wet hair. Or Carol in a towel. Oh yes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this show had something that the others haven't so far. I mean, even Phil was funny and endearing. That never happens! And I'm just surprised he and Molly never kissed before. I swear there was an episode about a year ago where Phil and Molly had a subplot. I don't know if they just wrote Phil a little better this episode, or the actors just connected, but it worked.

Was Eli talking about the fact that he's paralyzed from the waist down and he's... well, paralyzed from the waist down? I just want to be clear that that's what the deal was about. Especially with his therapist saying something along the lines of "there are people you can talk to about that."

And I finally caught the pet therapist thing just before he said it. He has the conversation about drugging the dog... and then you look on his walls, and he has dog pictures on the walls... great set-up. And it was set-up even further, with Mike telling Ed about how he took Willie Butch to someone.
Old 11-12-03, 09:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Great episode. Plenty of funny moments (albeit no Warren) and some good drama. What's with Bruce Altman playing shrinks all the time now? (see Matchstick Men)
Old 11-12-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very good this week. Only "Ed" can pull off these gimmick episodes. I didn't even mind the Eli plot, although I wasn't fond of he and the pie lady making fun of white people talking black. Leave that crap for UPN.

Biggest laugh of the night - Nancy totally openmouthed at Molly's confession.

Runner-up - Shirley spraying the bowling shoes.

Honk!
Old 11-13-03, 03:01 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Great episode.

I almost choked on my Pepsi in the beginning when Ed was on the phone with Carol while watching TV and the line about all the fighting in Orange County(a subtle shot at The OC)

The funniest moment of the night for me was Mike dunking Nancy while asking her who the king of the pool was

My only gripe was I wish they would have just got it over with and put Eli and the pie lady together.
Old 11-13-03, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great episode last night. It worked on many levels. I think that there was a collective gasp in the world when Molly and Phil kissed. When she was describing her feelings of almost disgust, we saw that Phil was actually hurt by it for a second, but then he went on to his regular annoying self.

The pet therapist was great, as was the pool party, but I think that the weakest part of the episode was the Ed Carol plot. It doesn't even seem like they even like each other anymore.

to the OC reference
Old 11-13-03, 06:53 AM

Yeah, I agree w/ movieking on Ed/Carol not liking eachother. Ans, as hot as Carol is, I like Ed too much to take her side. Dammit Carol, move back to Stuckeyville already.

Oh, best moment...MOO Meow MOO Meow Meow MOO

Am I the only guy whose heart kinda fluttered at next weeks preview?
Old 11-13-03, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What was next weeks preview? I missed it. Spoiler it for those who don't want to know...
Old 11-13-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Loved this episode! Too many hilarious moments to pack into a one-hour show.

At first I was screaming at the TV: don't you dare put Molly and Phil together but luckily that ended fairly quickly. Since I'm one of the few people who actually likes Eli I thought that subplot was pretty cool. It will be nice to see how the writers deal with his paralysis and the romantic relationship.

The pet shrink. That totally threw me for a loop. I didn't even notice the dog pictures on the wall until the phonecall. Nice setup for that one.
Old 11-13-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

next week:

Spoiler:
mike's parents come to stuckeyville for turkey day and ed tells them about his decision to propose. then cut to some shots in new york of a carriage rise through the park and ed dropping to one knee with a ring.

anyone up for a game of cow/kitty?
Old 11-13-03, 08:58 AM

Truly the best episode of the season, if not the series. It was paced well, it covered a lot of ground, and was totally frickin' hilarious.

So many good points, but the best were Mike dunking Nancy as she struggles and Shirley spraying the bowling shoes.

Cow says...
Old 11-13-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Good news on the ratings front (from Zap2It.com):

"Ed" scored a 6.4/10 for NBC, it best performance in several weeks.
Old 11-13-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We must appease the aquatic gods

When Ed finds out that Dr. Soper is a pet psychologist

Great episode. Can't wait to see what happens with
Spoiler:
the big proposal. It looks like she'll say yes from that last shot
Old 11-13-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by djbrown
Good news on the ratings front (from Zap2It.com):

"Ed" scored a 6.4/10 for NBC, it best performance in several weeks.

Let's just hope it's good enough for Mr. "Slayer of all things that aren't reality" Zucker..
Old 11-13-03, 10:59 AM

Great episode, once again.
Great news on the # of viewers....

Mike is great. Just about anytime he is on screen, I get ready to laugh, just in anticipation.

Ed speaking Portuguese was great!

Last edited by guywall; 11-13-03 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-13-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like I'm the only one but I hated this episode. Worse Ed I've seen. Felt like the writers were on acid. Putting 3 characters in therapy talking about the town pool incident with flashbacks and ridiculous images of Eli reading minds and Ed literally speaking in foreign tongue.

Other strange events. Phil and Molly kiss? In what universe? Apparently a month has passed and in the span of time, Carol has become some cliquie NY hot reporter who seems totally disconnected with Stuckville? Ed goes to see a pet shrink? (BTW I could tell the guy was prescribing pills for a DOG).

I just wanted this episode to end quick and hope that this was a one-time deal.

Last edited by big whoppa; 11-13-03 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-13-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by big whoppa

Looks like I'm the only one but I hated this episode. Worse Ed I've seen. Felt like the writers were on acid. Putting 3 characters in therapy talking about the town pool incident with flashbacks and ridiculous images of Eli reading minds and Ed literally speaking in foreign tongue.

Other strange events. Phil and Molly kiss? In what universe?
I loved all these scenes. The Ed and Carol tension wasn't all that interesting to me and I could tell the shrink was talking about a dog on the phone too, other than that it was a great episode. I thought Eli and Phil had decent storylines for a change.
Old 11-13-03, 01:11 PM

Sounds to me like they brought in some writers from Scrubs for this one - maybe with Tom Cavanaugh being a guest star a few times he pulled some ideas out of their writers.

I forgot about Ed and the Portugese - hilarious!
Old 11-13-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks like I'm the only one but I hated this episode. Worse Ed I've seen
Nope you are not alone, it was off
Old 11-13-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I think you're right. Seems to be in the Scrubs vein. I'm not a big fan of that show so I hope they don't do it again. I'll admit some of it was funny but that is not what I watch Ed for. It's not a sitcom.

The reason for the higher ratings must be due to all the hype about Carol and Ed. Viewers were expecting that and nothing earthshattering happened until the last few minutes when Ed decides to pop-the-question to Carol.
Old 11-13-03, 07:20 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by groovrbaby
Am I the only guy whose heart kinda fluttered at next weeks preview?
Yes, you freaking pansy.

Just kidding. I'm in a long-distance relationship right now, and it kills me to watch the show sometimes because it reminds me of my girlfriend. And we've even mooed at each other over the phone, so I was rolling when that came on. Same with being "the king of the pool"... seriously, last night's Ed was almost Scrubs-good. So many good bits that you forget about some of them until someone reminds you.

Originally posted by big whoppa
(BTW I could tell the guy was prescribing pills for a DOG).
I would hope so. But how long before that did you realize that he was a pet psychologist? I didn't realize it until he went into the pill conversation.
Old 11-13-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was at that point that I knew and the dog paintings afterwards confirmed it. Ed, the attorney, was clueless though.
Old 11-13-03, 11:55 PM
Admin Emeritus

Congratulations... you're thirty seconds smarter than a fictional bowling-alley owner.
Old 11-13-03, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, at my time in life, all these small victories add up.

Oh, and when did Mike get a dog? It must have happened during the last season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.