Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL with Andy Roddick - 11/08/03

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I watched this one for the Dave songs. First episode I've seen in a long time. If this is an indication of every episode, it definately hasn't gotten any better since I quit watching.
I liked Weekend Update, but every other skit sucked. And the one with the singing babysitter was just creepy.
Old 11-09-03, 09:34 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I turned this on for a couple of skits and nothing has changed - still terrible, IMO.
Old 11-09-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tina Fey had a few good zingers during Weekend Update (loved her line about women's vaginas ) but other than that, worst episode ever.

Way too many tennis skits.
Old 11-10-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah I'll go against the stream here and say I liked the last ep..

Granted, SNL is NOT the show it used to be, not even close but nothing much else on at that time of the night. Even less "live" shows on tv at all anymore that do comedy... Heck I'm just happy to grin a few times at the skits.

I think for a sports star, Roddick did fine being he was willing to let them make fun of him some. Of course I have never seen him play tennis but I did know he was ranked really high.

Of course Jock Talk skit sucked really, really bad but every damn ep has a few skits that just TANK.. Always been that way, but looking back one tends to forget those.

I think the main thing hurting the show is a true lack of good returning characters. Blame the actors, blame the writers but wihtout that sort of sounding board for the hosts to work with we get these strange one ep show / set ups.. Like Jock Talk.. Errrr huh? That just sucked.. They going to bring that back over and over and over like say wayne's world was? Geeesh I hope not..
Old 11-10-03, 09:18 AM

"some days, I'm not gay at all"
Old 11-10-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: SNL with Andy Roddick - 11/08/03

Dear Strong Bad,

I have written a sketch for Saturday Night Live, what do you think of the title: Jock Talk?

Your fan,

SNL Guy

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
More like Suck Talk.
[/B]
Old 11-10-03, 01:24 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Tom Banjo
I watched this one for the Dave songs.
Same here, the musical guest is the only reason I ever tune in.
Old 11-11-03, 06:32 AM

SNL has become one of the most self-satisfied and lazy skit shows. When you view some of the early season material (1975-early 80s), almost every skit is a classic. It was truly hysterical back then. Now it almost solely relies on sex jokes and crudeness.

What is wrong with this current generations' writers? You can apply some of this logic to current state of movies, television shows, Broadway, music. It's as if all the good, original ideas and sense of comedy has been all used up and the current generation of writers have absolutely no idea what to write about, so they resort to crude sexual innuendo half the time. Ever check out primetime sitcoms? No wonder Nielsen numbers are dramatically down.

My friends seem to think that in the 60s and 70s (arguably the golden age of film, television, Broadway, music, etc.) writers had more life experiences to write about. After all, social turmoil was the norm. Most great art is born out of adversity, not when one's life is going so well, they have very little conflict to identify with. And that may be the issue. This current generation of writers have grown up in an age (late 80s, 90s and early 2000s) in which they just have had virtually no social issues larger than their own "what have you done for me lately" attitudes. AFter all, the 60s and 70s generation of writers had such social/political issues and happenings such as Vietnam, Watergate, women's lib, segregation, political corruption (as there is now), the whole hippie movement. What have kids growing up in 80s and 90s had that was anywhere near the importance of those issues? I know that there are personal social hardships and adversity for an individual. But I'm talking a nationalview and worldview?

Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion, but, to me, the demise of SNL is a sign of the times when it comes to this generation carrying on the great traditions of our entertainment culture. Just imagine how awful movies, tv, Broadway, music, etc. will be in another 20 years if things don't get any better?

Oh well, maybe if there is a military draft (rumblings about this are louder by the week), and young people have to leave their comfort zones and get out into the world, then maybe, just maybe, there may be some changes in the direciton of entertainment writing.

I realize I've opened myself up to all kinds of slings and arrows here. I understand if you show me no mercy.
Old 11-11-03, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tarnower
You got all that from an SNL episode hosted by a tennis player?

Old 11-11-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, Tarnower no slings and arrows. Many here who remember the early years feel the same. Although there were seasons when SNL was even worse if you can imagine that. SNL often does seem like they are resting on their laurels because obviously those who complain about the show still watch it. MadTV is usually funnier and consistent although I still try to watch both shows when I can.