TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friends 11/06

Old 11-07-03, 10:35 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friends 11/06

Season 10 Episode 176256

THE ONE WITH ROSS'S GRANT 8/7pm 11/06/03

ROSS COMPETES FOR GRANT FROM GIRLFRIEND'S JEALOUS EX-BOYFRIEND; OSCAR NOMINEE GREG KINNEAR GUEST-STARS WITH FORMER FELLOW 'TALK SOUP' HOST AISHA TYLER -- An excited Ross (David Schwimmer) must interview with a brilliant, Nobel Prize-winning scientist (Oscar nominee and guest star Greg Kinnear, "As Good As It Gets," "Talk Soup") for a prized paleontology grant -- but the doctor also happens to be Charlie's (Aisha Tyler, also from "Talk Soup") obsessed ex-boyfriend who offers Ross the grant only if he will break up with her. Elsewhere, Phoebe (Lisa Kudrow) sends Monica (Courtney Cox Arquette) and Rachel (Jennifer Aniston) screaming when she passes on her artistic creation of "Gladys," a creepy, grubby woman who appears to climb out of the frame. In addition, Joey (Matt LeBlanc) is offended when Chandler (Matthew Perry) lies about viewing his bizarre audition tape reel.

Not an awful episode, but it wasn't one of the best.

I did, however, get a big laugh out of Joey's Japenese commercial.

Ichiban, the lipstick for men

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 11-07-03 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-07-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Friends 11/06

Originally posted by Vryce
I did, however, get a big laugh out of Joey's Japenese commercial.

Ichiban, the lipstick for men
Joey was the saving grace of this episode. His commercial and his fear of that painting had me rolling.
Old 11-07-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What a stupid way to get rid of Charlie. Not that she was that great of an addition anyway since they never really gave her any lines.

The very last bit with Gladys knocking at Joey's door
Old 11-07-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so is charlie gone now? (did ross get the grant?) i missed the episode--again.

i really want to see what the painting looked like!!!!
Old 11-07-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only part I really found funny was that they had two Talk Soup hosts on, but they didn't really acknowledge it. I was expecting some joke about the E! channel or something.
Old 11-07-03, 11:42 AM

There were no laughs for me with the Ross/Charlie/Kinnear bit, but Joey's Japanese lipstick commercial and the Gladys paintings were inspired.
Old 11-07-03, 11:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, I found bits funny, but thought it was pretty bad as a whole. The lipstick commercial was good. Kinnear stroking Ross' face was funny too, but the rest of that subplot was lame. I also didn't care for the painting bit, except the end when Rachel said "third time Joe, and it still gets ya" or something like that...
Old 11-07-03, 11:51 AM

The lipstick commericial was funny, but it was no "Mr. Sparkle."
Old 11-07-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Joey was hilarious. He was so happy about his new painting until he heard it was haunted. "Get that legless witch outa here!" Rachel knew exactly how to manipulate him.
Gladys was pretty creepy, though.

Poor Ross. He took that better than I would in his situation. I would've wrecked the place.

Honk!
Old 11-07-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
The lipstick commericial was funny, but it was no "Mr. Sparkle."
Agreed.

Kinda thought they could have taken this further than just Chandler wearing it later too...

I expected Joey to try to make some excuse about him thinking it was a BEER commercial or something (you know like KIRIN Ichiban?). That would have been hilarious!

Crappy way to get rid of Charlie - esp. considering another Talk Soup host was Ross' rival suitor.

I actually thought Rachel and Monica's fight over who HAD to take Gladys painting, to faking in front of Phoebe who wanted it, to REALLY FIGHTING for it was genius. Oh yeah, freaking Joey out about it being haunted was funny too.

So I guess Joey has become the best part of the show again.... maybe I'm going to watch his spin-off afterall.

Last edited by rfduncan; 11-07-03 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-07-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Am I the only one who felt a little sad that John Henson, the forgotten Talk Soup host, didn't get a part in this episode?

Also, Ross is supposed to be a smart guy, but even Joey would have realized -- don't take Charlie to her ex-boyfriend hoping to get him to confess; take her to one of the other polontologists who was in the meeting.
Old 11-07-03, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by JasonFliegel
Am I the only one who felt a little sad that John Henson, the forgotten Talk Soup host, didn't get a part in this episode?
Skunkboy, we miss you.

And don't forget about Hal Sparks.
Old 11-07-03, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by JasonFliegel
take her to one of the other polontologists who was in the meeting.
Ahh, polontology. The study of Polish people.
Old 11-07-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Morf
Old 11-07-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was a pretty good episode. I don't really care for Greg Kinnear, but he did a good job. I agree that it was a lame way to get rid of Charlie (but we all knew she had to leave some time or another).

Phoebe's "Gladys" painting was freaky as hell. I liked the scene during the credits when Rachel scared him and then when Monica scared Rachel.

Joey's lipstick commercial was funny.

Old 11-07-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Morf
I thought that was a subtle reference to Season 5's "The One With The Inappropriate Sister" episode where Joey writes a play:

Chandler (reading aloud): Could I BE more sorry? (looks at Joey)

Ross (reading aloud): I don't know, I'm one sorry polentologist.
Old 11-07-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by rfduncan
I thought that was a subtle reference to Season 5's "The One With The Inappropriate Sister" episode where Joey writes a play:
Chandler (reading aloud): Could I BE more sorry? (looks at Joey)

Ross (reading aloud): I don't know, I'm one sorry polentologist.
Joey: A handsome man enters.

rfduncan gets it!
Old 11-07-03, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't think last night's episode was very good. The best bit was Joey's acting commercial.
Old 11-07-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kind of a mediocre episode. And yes, I know it's a sitcom fantasy universe, but I had trouble buying Greg Kinnear as some world famous "polontologist" when the guy acted like a complete psychopath during an important job interview with several other people in the room beside him and Ross. And that Charlie write-out has to be the lamest way to cut off a "Friends" love interest since Jon Favreau's character suddenly decided to become an Ultimate Fighting champion a few years back...
Old 11-07-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

joey is a japander
Old 11-07-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Totally unrelated as I only saw the tail-end of the episode, but can anyone tell me which ep is that one where Chandler tries to "quit" his gym, then his "bank" with Ross helping him?

I consider myself pretty good at remembering Friends eps, but this one has been bugging me. I've searched thru fansites with plot synopses, but I've had no luck. Season and ep title please, for those who know. thanks.
Old 11-07-03, 07:00 PM

I actually like the rerun after this episode more, I hadn't seen it before. I don't usually like Jeff Goldblum, but he was perfect for the part.
Old 11-07-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Totally unrelated as I only saw the tail-end of the episode, but can anyone tell me which ep is that one where Chandler tries to "quit" his gym, then his "bank" with Ross helping him?

I consider myself pretty good at remembering Friends eps, but this one has been bugging me. I've searched thru fansites with plot synopses, but I've had no luck. Season and ep title please, for those who know. thanks.
I'm pretty sure that's from the 4th season. I'll look at my discs later on.
Old 11-07-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kal Jedi
The One with the Ballroom Dancing (# 77; Season 4; Epsiode 4) -- Joey attempts ballroom dancing in order to help Monica and Rachel keep their illegal sublet. Phoebe is attracted to one of her massage clients. And Chandler has trouble attempting to quit a gym.
Old 11-07-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a bad episode at all. More Joey seems to mean a better show...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.