TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 11/05/03

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-03, 10:20 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think a lot of you people are TV SNOBS

HEY GUESS WHAT

-- Main characters never die before the series ends!
Unless there are verifiable rumors of actors wanting out of a series you can expect them to survive EACH EPISODE. WOW!

-- Most plots are resolved by the end of each episode!
Unless an episode is plugged as a '3 parter' or something, all things are resolved by the time the episode is over.

Why are people so bitter because thier advanced logic has recognized these 2 elements in a television series? You arent paying for the episode. Do you feel ripped off because its not a full length 2 and a half hour epic movie that encapsulates humanity and makes you a better person?

Did anyone seriously expect earth to have been destroyed? Only the clever ones didn't get sucked in! Good thing you were looking for it!

Are you saying "hey they should of never tried to show the future as it could of been!"

I suppose they should stick to planet hopping and resolving differences between ancient cultures in 1 hour episode time slots like before?

What do you expect out of your Teevee shows? This one gave me:

1. Decent character development
2. Good special effects
3. An interesting take on events if Archer is taken out of command

Yes "getting there" was the whole episode. But seriously, if you wanted earth to be destroyed and humanity wiped out you should of turned the channel--Im sorry they tricked you.
Old 11-06-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Save Ferris
We saw some character development and it was REAL
Yes, it WAS real, but got wiped out with the parasites and thus no longer exists.

SleepyW nails it.

Ferris, you might consider reading some REAL SF some time for a comparison.
Old 11-06-03, 10:28 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

im not saying it was the best ever. Even for a tv show.

The development was REAL because you KNOW how the characters would react in the situation. It wasnt imaginary. Yes its a time traveling episode of sorts, but things panned out for each character as they would of chosen things.

To me, nothing is lost because the characters made thier decisions and that gives you a look into what makes them tick. Taking back time wouldnt change who they were in that situation.

Lots of shows are better. This one was good.
Old 11-06-03, 10:32 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally posted by Wizdar
Ferris, you might consider reading some REAL SF some time for a comparison. [/B]
ummm.. you arent comparing a teevee show to a NOVEL are you? If you're looking for a new Trek series to rival Asimov you honestly should lower your expectations.
Old 11-06-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
general somebody, I forgot the name but at the time I was thinking that it almost sounded klingon

they were given the shields recently from some other guy (he mentioned his name)

Its logical to assume other species wouldnt want to help the humans advance technologically because they were afraid of the xindi. Clearly they targeted phlox.
Old 11-06-03, 11:19 AM
Banned

I’m ashamed to be associated with those of you who liked this one. I suppose it means youse guys don’t mind the destination as long as the trip was fun.
Are we there yet!!

Are we there yet!!

Are we there yet!!.....
Old 11-06-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ummm.. you arent comparing a teevee show to a NOVEL are you?
No. I’m comparing good writing with bad writing. TNG with Voyager. Steak with a Big Mac.

Perhaps I’m just a moron, but I didn’t see any “character development” in this episode. If by “character development” you mean, fer instance, that T’Pol has suddenly developed an affection for Archer, then that’s about as well developed as Archer’s sudden [this season] change from Gomer to Mr. Badass. This is not something that “develops,” it just happens. We don’t even understand what it is that motivates T'’ol. Is it love? Sense of loyalty? Who the hell knows?

And thanks for comparing Trek with Asimov. Among the SF giants, Asimov was the worst as far as character development is concerned.

I think a quote from The Princess Bride works here: “You keep using that word. I don’t thin you know what it means.”

This isn’t the first time they’ve used some trick to present a concept for an entire episode (or two) and then wipe out the whole thing Dallas style by some hack plot device. I dare say it won’t be the last. If they are going to continue, perhaps they should bring back Seven Days.
Originally posted by Jim in Cincy
Are we there yet!!

Are we there yet!!

Are we there yet!!.....

If you don’t settle down, I’m turning this shuttlepod around and going home.
Old 11-06-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Wizdar •<HR SIZE=1>Perhaps I’m just a moron, but I didn’t see any “character development” in this episode.<HR SIZE=1>

Perhaps? Clearly you didn't notice that Reed had a goatee. A GOATEE!! If that's not character development, then I don't know what is.

das
Old 11-06-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I yield to the wisdom that is das Monkey.

I am SUCH a moron.

For my punishment, I shall subject myself to a Battlestar Galactica marathon.

Fleeing the Xindi tyranny, the last battleship, Enterprise, leads a rag-tag fugitive fleet…

Last edited by Wizdar; 11-06-03 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-06-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fleeing the Xindi tyranny, the last battleship, Enterprise, leads a rag-tag fugitive fleet…

Crap, your edit beat me to it.
Old 11-06-03, 01:05 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I think this episode did show how far Tpol is loyal to Archer and why -- he saved her life 2 times now (despite any love interest, which she denied and may just be phlox's confusing loyalty for love).

They touched on tripps attitude with tpol as a direct superior. And also how he responds behind the helm AS captain.

Its not Heinlein but its ok for an hour on a wednesday.

Last edited by Save Ferris; 11-06-03 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-06-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have always said that Starfleet should get some sort of starfighter. Sure big ships have more powerfull weapons but once they get a few hits, the whole ships's weapons tend to go off-line. Smaller fighters might not have the full force of the large ship but should be more meuneverable(sp?) and the amount of them would make up for the lesser firepower.

Take last nights episode (great episode BTW. Favorite of the series), if Archer hadn't had the parasites killed, it is assumed the Zindi would have gone on to wipe out that planet, killing of most of the remaining humans. They had the Intrepid and the Enterprise as defense, that got wiped out. I think if they had a lot of fighters, the battle would have turned out differently. Several fighters would divert the Zindi's concentration between the ships and would stand more of a chance for them to disable the Zindi before they destroyed the planet. (Of course, they should kill the Zindi without mercy for revenge for taking out Earth)
Old 11-07-03, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 609 Likes on 351 Posts
Wow. It's interesting to read the extremes in opinion on this episode! For me, it was a waste from the moment they blew up Earth. I knew then that everything that happens, WON'T happen, so the story is just an "imaginary tale".

And next week, I may actually skip it.
Old 11-07-03, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how many people the ear wigs took care of in the time they spent on Ceti Alpha V?
Old 11-07-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Bronkster
And next week, I may actually skip it.
Yeah. If somebody puts something even halfway decent opposite this I am SO outta here.

Wait. I got this Tivo thingie.

Bronkster, ya gotta admit, for a third-rate story with a painfully obvious method of conclusion that held absolutely no surprises whatever, it wasn’t half bad, yes?
Old 11-07-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bronkster, ya gotta admit, for a third-rate story with a painfully obvious method of conclusion that held absolutely no surprises whatever, it wasn’t half bad, yes?
Well, since we normally get forth-rate stories on a weekly basis, I marginally enjoyed this one despite it's (many) flaws.
Old 11-07-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bronkster, ya gotta admit, for a third-rate story with a painfully obvious method of conclusion that held absolutely no surprises whatever, it wasn’t half bad, yes? [/B]
I wish I could say yes, but I can't. As I said, from the start I knew it was a "none of this happens" episode. It actually reminded me of a few Voyager episodes where they attempt to create drama by blowing up the ship and/or killing members of the crew. I hate revision/dream/holodeck shows that do nothing to advance anything. But that's just me
Old 11-07-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, it’s not just you.

There’s an unwritten law (and, in some cases, it is actually written) that you don’t end a story by claiming “it was all a dream.” Creating a timeline and then erasing it is no different.

They ended Voyager with just that type of BS. They’ve done it a coupla times on Enterprise.

It’s a cheat shows a complete lack of creativity.

That’s JMO and I’m stuck with it.
Old 11-07-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That’s JMO and I’m stuck with it.
Thomson and Thompson?
Old 11-08-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

gee. some of you need to do some active suspension of disbelief, and go with the flow.

it was a fun episode, even if we knew from the moment we heard the term "temporal" used in conjunction with the parasites how it would end.

and you can't say it all didn't happen. it did all happen, because if it didn't, then Archer would still be infected.
Old 11-08-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great episode.

Special Effects: Awesome.
T'pol smashing the docked ship into the other ship: Awesome.
Archer not asking questions and just decking the guard outside his quarters: Awesome.
Actually feeling the sympathy and love T'pol must feel every day, everytime she had to tell that story: Awesome.
Old 11-09-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you guys are all wrong.

this was a good episode that i enjoyed watching.

i have spoken.
Old 11-09-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
one of the better episodes this season and for the series, actually.
Old 11-09-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones
one of the better episodes this season and for the series, actually.
Despite it's problems, it actually was. That's what we're all so pissed off about. They finally write some real character development, and it all just fades away into the ether at the end of the episode.
Old 11-10-03, 12:14 PM

While it was a good episode, it still has been done - and done and done and done - before, especially by the other Treks. So far, among all of these "we change the future which brings us back to our present" eps, "Yesterday's Enterprise" is the standout, due to Tasha Yar's capture by the Romulans, having a child with a Romulan officer, and said child becoming a rather cunning Romulan officer herself. The look on Picard's face when he's told that he was responsible for Tasha being captured was priceless, and helped make that episode more than "it was all just a temporary alternate future and you can forget it ever happened".

Then again, perhaps something did happen from this future that will come back to the present. Maybe the virus in Archer's head isn't completely gone, or might just help them somehow if he can attain the memories of his future self…? Someone help me here, I'm grasping at straws.

Summary: I enjoyed it, but I've seen it. Next!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.