Reload this Page >

"Coupling" canceled

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Coupling" canceled

Old 11-01-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Coupling" canceled

UNCOUPLING: NBC axing its heavily-hyped new show, Coupling, due to poor ratings.
Source: E!Online

I would have thought it would have fared better than some of the other NBC sitcoms, but whatever. Not really going to miss it. NBC's in trouble now, since it was supposed to be their "Friends" replacement...oops.
Old 11-01-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was such a huge dissapointment. The BBC series is so good, but it just didn't transfer at all to the NA version. I hope that Rena Sofer gets something good to do soon. Maybe back on Ed!
Old 11-01-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No surprise there.

On the bright side, I think S4 of the UK version is currently in production.
Old 11-01-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Skin is next. Then Tru Calling.
Old 11-01-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed it, not as good as the UK version, but it was something to watch. But of course, since I liked it, it got cancelled. Any new show I watch, it will get cancelled ASAP.

So that leaves me with just ER and Angel to watch on network television. Thank God for cable.
Old 11-01-03, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, they hardly gave it a chance.
Old 11-01-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Entertainment Weekly just had a report in the issue I got today saying the producers/writers were looking forward to doing all original scripts. They figured the show would find it's voice.

Guess not.
Old 11-01-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by movieking
It was such a huge dissapointment. The BBC series is so good, but it just didn't transfer at all to the NA version.
yeah, it's kinda like trying to remake classic movies. when the original is so good, why try to change it?
Old 11-01-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Man, times have changed. Remember how long "Suddenly Susan" and that show with Jonathan Silverman lasted on Thursday night? (even though they both sucked). You'd think that NBC would give Coupling more time, since they expected it to be the Friends replacement.

Not that I care. I love the BBC version, and had no plans to watch the US version.
Old 11-01-03, 05:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[wishful thinking]Maybe now they'll finally bring back Inside Schwartz.[/wishful thinking]
Old 11-01-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Baw-HA HA HA HA HA. thursday nights next season will be up for grabs..
Old 11-01-03, 06:16 PM

I like the BBC version, but never had any inclination to watch the NBC version. I figured the NBC version would be watered down from the original and it sounds like I was right.
Old 11-01-03, 06:21 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
You'd think that NBC would give Coupling more time, since they expected it to be the Friends replacement.
I think once LeBlanc signed on for the Joey spinoff that became Friends replacement.
Old 11-01-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alot of people have BBC America and the DVD sold well. I don't think most of those folks wanted to watch the US version- in fact because of BBCA there's less need for US versions.
Old 11-01-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't say I'm surprised. I gave this a look and hated it, so maybe this will send a message to other networks who want to just quickly repackage something for US audiences and expect it to be a hit.
Old 11-01-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally watched one episode of the us version. It was bloody awful.
Old 11-01-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know I think half the reason this show failed (besides of course the sucking) is the incessant promotions of it all summer really got people sick of it. I mean, I hated the damned ads they kept showing so much that I wasn't interested in the show. You shove something down people's throats hard enough, sometimes they'll gag.

You have to remember too that probably 90% of Joe Americans don't even know this was based on a BBC show so the comparisions with the original don't factor into its success or failure with the mass audience half as much as folks around boards like this think it does.
Old 11-01-03, 10:16 PM

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...goryid=14&cs=1

'Coupling' cancelled
Stateside version of BBC hit fizzles

By JOSEF ADALIAN

It's coitus interruptus for NBC's "Coupling," while "The Bernie Mac Show" will be getting a later-than-expected start.

Peacock has pulled the plug on frosh laffer "Coupling," shutting down production Friday and informing the show's producers that additional episodes will not be ordered. Skein, from NBC Studios in association with Reveille and Universal Television, had already been pulled for sweeps and was not exected to return anytime soon.

Skein generated media buzz last spring and over the summer due to its frank discussion of sexual matters and because of the heat surrounding its U.K. predecessor. But while crix gushed over the original, seen stateside on BBC America, they largely slammed the Americanized version.

"Coupling" was created by Steven Moffat and executive produced by Phoef Sutton ("Cheers"), Ben Silverman, Beryl Vertue, Sue Vertue and Moffat.

As for "Bernie," Fox has decided to delay the skein's Nov. 9 season debut until Nov. 30. Net will now air "Simpsons" repeats at 8:30 p.m. during the Novermer sweeps. In addition, West Coast viewers--who had been scheduled to see "Simpsons" encores at 7 p.m. Sundays--will now get a double dose of "King of the Hill."

Fox apparently didn't want to re-launch "Bernie" in the middle of what's expected to be a difficult November sweeps for all the nets. Waiting will allow the net to give the laffer some extra promo push.

"We believe in the 'Bernie Mac' show and plan to have it as an essential part of our schedule for many years to come," said Fox spokesman Scott Grogin. "The launch of 'Bernie' will be a major event in December, and the fact that we're moving the series to one of the best timeslots in television is indicative of what we think of the show."
Old 11-01-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NBC already HAS a friends replacement... it's called Scrubs! Get with the program; why not just order 4x as many episodes of Scrubs and put it on for 2 hours every Thursday?
Old 11-02-03, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by huzefa
NBC already HAS a friends replacement... it's called Scrubs! Get with the program; why not just order 4x as many episodes of Scrubs and put it on for 2 hours every Thursday?
Old 11-02-03, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by huzefa
Scrubs is easily the best thing NBC has right now. But I get the feeling they're trying to kill it.
Old 11-02-03, 12:34 PM
Banned

Re: "Coupling" canceled

Originally posted by freedexter
I would have thought it would have fared better than some of the other NBC sitcoms, but whatever. Not really going to miss it. NBC's in trouble now, since it was supposed to be their "Friends" replacement...oops.
Don't they understand that Scrubs IS their Friends replacement?
Old 11-02-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm so glad this was canceled. Now Steven Moffat can focus on series 4 of the BBC show!
Old 11-02-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cynthia
I'm so glad this was canceled. Now Steven Moffat can focus on series 4 of the BBC show!
Maybe NBC will sell him their 'original scripts' they never got to use.

Then he can line his bird cage with them.
Old 11-02-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched it and found it okay so far. Damn that was a quick yank. Gotta admit I watching for Rena Sofer.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.