Reload this Page >

ABC show based on DaVinci Code

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-31-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds really interesting. i haven't read the book yet but am dying to once i finish school.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...nt/7142948.htm

ABC to Air Special on Jesus Christ
DAVID BAUDER
Associated Press

NEW YORK - ABC News correspondent Elizabeth Vargas concedes her network is stepping into a theological minefield with its one-hour exploration of whether Jesus Christ had a wife.

The ABC News special, "Jesus, Mary and DaVinci," is scheduled to air Monday at 8 p.m. ET.

"You can't talk about this subject without intriguing people or offending people," Vargas said Thursday. "We're trying to do it as respectfully as we can."

ABC screened the special for some reporters and religious leaders on Thursday. The program is based on the best-selling novel, "The DaVinci Code," which claims to be partly grounded on historical fact.

The book asserts that Mary Magdalene was Jesus' wife - not a prostitute, as in some teachings - and that she fled Jerusalem with his child following his crucifixion.

The story was kept alive for centuries by a secret society that included the painter Leonardo DaVinci, who supposedly inserted clues about it in his art, the book claimed.

The ABC special outlines the theories and speaks to several theologians who either discount the story or assert that it is possible.

The show unravels like a mystery perpetuated by secondhand gossip. Vargas said ABC found no proof that Jesus had a wife, but couldn't completely discount it, either.

Vargas, who was raised a Roman Catholic, said her own parents said to her, "Oh, my goodness, what are you doing?" when they found out she was working on the story.

She said she was never aware of the power struggles and political intrigue that went into how her faith is taught today.

"For me, it's made religion more real and, ironically, much more interesting - which is what we're hoping to do for our viewers," she said.

It drew some immediate criticism, particularly from a representative of the Catholic League, who said ABC News relied too heavily on the opinion of Father Richard McBrien of Notre Dame, who believes Mary Magdalene's importance has been historically understated and that it's possible she was his wife.

"I think it was not sufficiently balanced," said Joseph DeFeo, policy analyst for the Catholic League. "The majority of the people who spoke believed in either the plausibility or the outright truth of (book author) Dan Brown's claims. The facts themselves scream out that this is a crackpot theory."

The show even drew criticism from Nikki Stephanopoulos, mother of ABC News correspondent George and the communications director for the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. She the special might offend people who believe that women have a more prominent role in the church.
BTW, it's Monday at 8 for those who don't want to read it...
Old 10-31-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sounds intriguing. I'll try to tune in.
Old 10-31-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For aminute there I thought it was going to be a sitcom...
Old 10-31-03, 01:39 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds interesting, and I liked the book, but after ABC's handling of Miracles last year I have zero faith in them that a show that has religion as a part of the story would last very long.
Old 10-31-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm watching. Da Vinci Code is my book of the year.
Old 10-31-03, 08:17 PM

You would probably get more hits in this thread if you were to change the title to:

ABC show to explore the myth that Jesus Christ is NOT the savior of the world, but instead was sinner, had a wife and kids and died on the Cross for nothing!

I hope that will fit for you!

Chris
Old 10-31-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mrpayroll
You would probably get more hits in this thread if you were to change the title to:

ABC show to explore the myth that Jesus Christ is NOT the savior of the world, but instead was sinner, had a wife and kids and died on the Cross for nothing!

I hope that will fit for you!

Chris
Having a wife and kids is a sin?
Old 10-31-03, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by DodgingCars, Esq.
Having a wife and kids is a sin?

In his case, yes! Well you know what I mean! He would have been so consumed with pleasing his wife and kids, that he would have forgotten about his Father.

Hey you should know this, you're a better Christian than I am!

Chris
Old 10-31-03, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be there. Though the book exaggerates the truthfulness of this a tad, I'm still intrigued.
Old 10-31-03, 09:24 PM

I guess I see this as in the same light as 'The Last Temptation of Christ'. My feeling is, why try to trash a good man's image when there is no basis in truth to it at all.

Chris
Old 10-31-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In his case, yes! Well you know what I mean! He would have been so consumed with pleasing his wife and kids, that he would have forgotten about his Father.

Hey you should know this, you're a better Christian than I am!

Chris
Actually. I disagree. While I don't believe Christ married, I certainly don't think it would have been sinful.

Many of the apostles were married. We know Peter was. He was able to *ahem* please his wife and God.
Old 10-31-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I see this as in the same light as 'The Last Temptation of Christ'. My feeling is, why try to trash a good man's image when there is no basis in truth to it at all.

Chris
While I never saw Last Temptation, nor have I read this book -- I don't think either trashed Jesus's image.

Yes, the both gave hypopthetical scenarios about Christ and said stuff about Him that most Christians would see as unbiblical, I don't believe either trashed Him.

But, I'm basing this on what I've heard of the film and the book, not on anything I've witnessed myself.
Old 11-01-03, 12:08 AM

Well he is a Sacrificial Lamb for mankind, not a husband to some woman, so yes I think both of these stories trash the truth about him.

Chris
Old 11-01-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by DodgingCars, Esq.
While I never saw Last Temptation, nor have I read this book -- I don't think either trashed Jesus's image.

Yes, the both gave hypopthetical scenarios about Christ and said stuff about Him that most Christians would see as unbiblical, I don't believe either trashed Him.

But, I'm basing this on what I've heard of the film and the book, not on anything I've witnessed myself.
I've read the book and seen the movie. I don't think either trashed him. They were, as you say, unbiblical, but they had a great deal of reverence and respect. Although IMO, the book was great and the movie stunk.

But I don't expect anyone to listen to me on this subject.
Old 11-01-03, 01:08 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Boy, THIS thread's going to end well.
Old 11-01-03, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by movielib
I've read the book and seen the movie. I don't think either trashed him. They were, as you say, unbiblical, but they had a great deal of reverence and respect. Although IMO, the book was great and the movie stunk.

But I don't expect anyone to listen to me on this subject.
That's what I suspected.

I actually really want to read Da Vincci code. I think I'll wait for PB though. I really enjoyed Angels and Demons.
Old 11-01-03, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well he is a Sacrificial Lamb for mankind, not a husband to some woman, so yes I think both of these stories trash the truth about him.

Chris
I guess I don't see what's so wrong with that? What if it were true? Would it make Him any less important?

He was a brother, a son, a friend, a man, etc. Why not a husband?

He washed the apostles feet, but being a husband is below him?

Again, I doubt he was ever married, but I honestly don't see how it would trash his image or make his sacrafice any less significant.
Old 11-01-03, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool.

The Da Vinci Code is one of my favorite books EVER so I'll definitely be tuning in. Just in case some of you are unaware, there is also a movie in the works. Ron Howard is directing.

The only problem with this is that it's on ABC on Monday. Does that mean no Monday Night Football? I just checked on Zap2it and it shows the Patriots vs. Broncos this Monday night.

Old 11-01-03, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
Boy, THIS thread's going to end well.
That was my intent!

Chris
Old 11-01-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by immortal_zeus

The only problem with this is that it's on ABC on Monday. Does that mean no Monday Night Football? I just checked on Zap2it and it shows the Patriots vs. Broncos this Monday night.

It's a one hour program airing before MNF.
Old 11-01-03, 09:56 AM

Or after on the West Coast!

Chris
Old 11-01-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Or after on the West Coast!

Chris
I always forget about you guys.
Old 11-01-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chris
i think everyone can agree that christian history is completely open to interpretation. to say that they have no basis in truth is silly, the bible is not the last word in the matter...we all know that it is an account and not completely accurate.

since i haven't read dan brown's theories i can't state much but i did write a master's paper on mary magdalene and, while she's now considered a composite saint who never existed, there is much evidence to show that a woman named mary had a huge influence on christ. i'll have to pull that paper out and re-read it but it is a fascinating subject. plus there are writtings among the four evangelists that suggest they either really liked her or they were suspicious of her, thus the conflicting written account.
Old 11-01-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It doesn't look like it's on at all here.

Monday, 11/3/03 (Hawaii):

5:00 PM - Local news @ 5
5:30 PM - ABC World News Tonight
6:00 PM - Local news @ 6
6:30 PM - MNF (tape delayed of course)
10:00 PM - Local news @ 10
10:30 PM - Will & Grace
11:00 PM - Nightline
11:30 PM - Jimmy Kimmel Live

That sucks.

Old 11-02-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

perhaps it's the abc world news tonight???

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.